Dragon Launches for...

Notifications
Clear all

Dragon Launches for ISS!

LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

So this morning, SpaceX's unmanned Dragon capsule successfully launched and achieved orbit, and is even now on its way to the ISS. This is a huge moment for private spaceflight. I hope the mission goes well!

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I think our space agency should have went private a long time ago, I think we would have had more progress since the 1960's if we had.

But I hope the SpaceX program does well so it takes over for Nasa least for the short term.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

DarkOne wrote:
I think our space agency should have went private a long time ago, I think we would have had more progress since the 1960's if we had.

Aye to that! I was willing that bird to fly well! Let's hope the docking with the ISS goes just as well!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Here is the Dragon's schedule for the next few days:

Quote:

Mission Highlights: During the mission, Dragon must perform a series of complex tasks, each presenting significant technical challenges (dates subject to change):

May 22/Launch Day: SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket launches a Dragon spacecraft into orbit from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

May 23: Dragon orbits Earth as it travels toward the International Space Station.

May 24: Dragon’s sensors and flight systems are subjected to a series of complicated tests to determine if the vehicle is ready to berth with the space station; these tests include maneuvers and systems checks in which the vehicle comes within 1.5 miles of the station.

May 25: NASA decides if Dragon is allowed to attempt berthing with the station. If so, Dragon approaches. It is captured by station’s robotic arm and attached to the station, a feat that requires extreme precision.

May 25 - 31: Astronauts open Dragon’s hatch, unload supplies and fill Dragon with return cargo.

May 31: After approximately two weeks, Dragon is detached from the station and returns to Earth, landing in the Pacific, hundreds of miles west of Southern California.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The Dragon flies, the Dragon docks! SpaceX are go! Anything can happen in the next fifty years!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Even though the press isn't really giving this much coverage it is actually a big deal and we should have been doing this 10+ yrs ago. This is an exciting time for the civilian space program and I hope it only gets brighter.... and there is of course no accidents.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

DarkOne wrote:
... and there is of course no accidents.

We should not let accidents or losses deter us again - a nation like China won't. They're getting out there, whatever the cost - we must too! There must be hundreds of qualified astronauts around with nowhere really to go. I bet most of them would jump at the chance of a one-way mission to Mars, or something similar (as would I), and they above all people are aware of the risks!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
angeli0105
(@angeli0105)
Crewman Registered

It seems like a new era of commerce has began when a privately-financed space vehicle delivered cargo to the International Space Station. SpaceX is a commercial venture began a decade ago by entrepreneur Musk. It’s mission in the short term is to assist with supply runs, which has been accomplished in the recent past by space cargo ships launched from Russian, European or Japanese facilities. Related article at: Space delivery: A giant leap for commerce.

ReplyQuote