Game concepts discu...

Notifications
Clear all

Game concepts discussion

Anonymous
Topic starter  

hi guys,

developer of a space game here, just wanted to talk about a concept, generally in space games when we are doing a mission there are two types of travelling is involved.

1) FTL travel, where if we have to say to a distant planet and we travel fast between them but still it takes 5 minutes or 10 minutes (like in elite dangerous). 

2) warp jump like they have in star citizen, where you point towards a jump point, spool drive and viola. you are there and mission starts.

can you share your views which one is more fun and why? 

Working on  49815.png

(its a  clickable link , not to spam just to tell the reference i am coming from or the purpose of the chat. if you think its misuse of forums or something let me know i will remove the game link and will not provide that in future, right now as i am not able to put any signature so added that as a custom signature)

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

2 as 1 a waste of time unless you intend to have some sort of hyperspace you travel through (think Babylon5 as an expample of what could be done).

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

2 as 1 a waste of time unless you intend to have some sort of hyperspace you travel through (think Babylon5 as an expample of what could be done).

in 1, FTL Travel is available that is fast very fast, in 2 the problem is that player can easily visit all the planets very fast and gets bored, while for 1, they have to work and get some time to explore.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

2 the problem is that player can easily visit all the planets very fast and gets bored, while for 1, they have to work and get some time to explore.

The way to stop the player from running all over the place is too have a jump gate or jump gate network where you have to grind to get to a better engine or key to the next set of star systems. Theirs also the story mode where the player is keep in a area of space until they reach a certain level. ( FreeLancer was very good at doing this )

Or the old Elite idea of fuel basically the same idea where you have to grind to get a better engine or fuel tank to go further.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

For me the most encaging is the multiple drive movement. There is some sort of engine for interstellar travel. There is also an engine for interplanetary travel. Then there is an engine for orbital travel. And finally there is a atmospheric engine. Some ships have all of these drives, while some ships won't have all of those. A feature that I have neverseen, are space ferries. Some sort of big ships that take your ship on board and transport it somewhere.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

having multiple engines can get complicated for now :), however our game does have idea of space taxis, for both player and ships. big taxis are basically ferries that you are talking about.

ReplyQuote