Hello Again everyon...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello Again everyone!

Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hey all, I've been out of commission for sometime now (maybe close to a year? Sheesh time flies) due to a hectic school schedule among other things. Stopped playing PC games for a long time. Anyway, I've got 2 weeks off so I thought I'd jump back in and say hello. I'm glad to see a lot of the regulars are still here! Geraldine, darkone, the mods, et al. There was that guy who always helped me with freespace mods, I believe he was a teacher or mathematician in his real life. He always had the most technical, thorough, well written posts. His name escapes me. Anybody know who I'm talking about? I hope he's still around.

So, I'm going to try to remember some of the things that were happening around the time I stopped posting to see if maybe you guys can catch me up.

1 - Darkone was eagerly anticipating picking up Red Dead Redemption. So did you get it? Was it everything you hoped it would be? I enjoyed it, but was disappointed that there were absolutely no upgrades and few weapons. Little in the way of character development, and no reward for exploring. It really was GTA4 without the carjacking. I spent the bulk of my time shooting birds.

2 - There was something that looked like northern lights which some believed was a missile test or something. If anybody remembers what I'm talking about, was it ever confirmed what that was?

3 - There was a possible hyder flare on the verge. Apparently there was a great filament hanging over the sun for about 7 days that people were getting nervous about. Don't know what ever happened there.

4 - Somebody was translating Precursors into English. Was that ever finished?

5 - Lots of space sims were on the verge of coming out. Which ones have done so? There were a couple games where the developers seemed to ask us for a lot of feedback, and I always banged the "include controller support!" drum. Was it Heresy War? Can't remember for sure. Anyhow, which space sims have come out in the last 9-12 months? Anything good?

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello mostly. What's new with you guys, and the forum itself? Good to be back,

Shant

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hey Shant welcome back and hopefully the break proved useful and you did good in school 🙂

Shant wrote:
Darkone was eagerly anticipating picking up Red Dead Redemption. So did you get it? Was it everything you hoped it would be?

I just finished the game just recently and liked playing it a lot must have put in 50+ hrs and did every quest and unlocked all trophies but I think 5 that I need to get the platinum trophy for the PS3. Didn't buy any of the expansions and thought about the undead one but that only gives ya like 8hrs of new content. When it hits a bargain bin I will get it or if they actually decide to get a world expansion with more story I will be all over it. Played a little online but gets boring after a while.

Shant wrote:
There was something that looked like northern lights which some believed was a missile test or something. If anybody remembers what I'm talking about, was it ever confirmed what that was?

They still claim its a faulty missile 🙂

Shant wrote:
There was a possible hyder flare on the verge. Apparently there was a great filament hanging over the sun for about 7 days that people were getting nervous about. Don't know what ever happened there.

I don't think anything happened it was all hype.

Shant wrote:
Somebody was translating Precursors into English. Was that ever finished?

Yes. The bulk of it is done and in the download area, but this post might interest you:

the-precursors-f42/the-precursors-t71-135.html#p12510

Shant wrote:
Lots of space sims were on the verge of coming out. Which ones have done so?

Hmm, think the only one as of late has been Starpoint Gemini which people are liking a lot and SSC is the home for their forums. CSiS is coming close to its next alpha test and we might see the MP beta for HW at the end of the year, BP is in closed beta and looking really good and JGE has legal troubles. All the other games are still in a working state, but I might have forgotten one 🙂 You'll have to dig in the forums for more info, but that is the fun part anyway.

-D1-

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

Shant wrote:
Anybody know who I'm talking about? I hope he's still around.

Hey, Shant! Welcome back, old friend. The place has not been the same without you!

Hope you have been having fun. The big news this year is:

- The folks at CERN have become pretty good at creating anti-matter, and have been able to store it for as long as a tenth of a second. At this rate, they will be building anti-matter reactors within a century.

- NASA announced the discovery of some bacteria in Mono Lake, California, that blow away the previous beliefs about the fundamental building blocks of life. Most previously-known biological molecules contain combinations of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and/or Sulfur. This newly-discovered bacteria use arsenic instead of phosphorus, which is a first.

This is similar to the switch of silicon for carbon discovered in the Horta three decades earlier.

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a brick-layer!

STDevilDark.jpg

ReplyQuote