Notifications
Clear all

Plumbing

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Last week, a water pipe in the flat above mine sprung a leak. Unfortunately, the idiot who lives there didn't notice. I noticed when the water started coming though my bedroom ceiling at two o'clock in the morning. I've spent the last five nights sleeping in a guest house while things get sorted out. On top of that, I've had to cancel my autumn vacation for the second year running! I'm tired!

Oolite Naval Attaché

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Cheer up they can only get better or is it worse, it will be one of them.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Luckily that has never happened too me, make sure the landlord notes this damage and does fix it and take pictures so those greedy landlords don't try to make you pay for it when or if you ever leave that place.

Generally most houses in the USA are made of wood/drywall so a leak can be devastating and very costly. I remember I paid a contractor to do some work in a bathroom and the dumbass didn't even put thread tape on the fitting and he didn't check it before walling it all back up. So after the job was done the kids start taking showers on the second floor and yup you guessed it a leak.... I had to rip up a wall and I still have to repair the ceiling damage it caused. That was the first and last time I hired someone to fix something in the house. This nerd has been doing the refurbing of my house slowly now.

When i have done plumbing I found out about these cool connecting devices sharkbytes these things are great

I have to do some work in the kitchen soon and I need to install a purification water thing at the sink. So maybe I will post a pic of that work when I get too it... I definitely have learned a lot owning a home that is almost 200yro 😉

This post was modified 3 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pinback

is it worse

Totally off-topic... kinda:

Microsoft says it will stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, as it prepares to unveil a major revamp of its Windows operating system later this month. [ ... ] it is likely to include a host of new features, a more modern look and a redesigned Start menu.

Stand by for more nagware!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @cody

I've spent the last five nights sleeping in a guest house while things get sorted out. On top of that, I've had to cancel my autumn vacation for the second year running! I'm tired!

Cody, that's rough my friend, hang in there (but not from the pipes), things are bound to get better. I will keep you some company in your non-vacation as my current work is red hot, no rest for me this year....

Posted by: @sscadmin

That was the first and last time I hired someone to fix something in the house. This nerd has been doing the refurbing of my house slowly now.

Good for you D1, I picked up the skill in the shipyards during my youth, have plenty of knucklehead stories to share myself on the work plumbers did.

Posted by: @cody

Totally off-topic... kinda:

Microsoft says it will stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, as it prepares to unveil a major revamp of its Windows operating system later this month. [ ... ] it is likely to include a host of new features, a more modern look and a redesigned Start menu.

Stand by for more nagware!

Oh god no! I just got to the point where I don't vomit from Windows 10 (after a lot of fiddling with it), and now this...

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Good news: my bedroom is usable again, just some artexing to be done. I shall sleep well tonight.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

The bad news: my replacement duvet, which should've arrived this morning, was in the care of DPD, a cowboy courier firm. They didn't even ring the doorbell - just sent me a photo of the front door, and left! Their 'customer service' is non-existent!

[array] profanities of choice [/array]

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I had the same experience with Hermes, left with a neighbour half way down the street, just a photo of a door taken from across the street, no door number or anything.

Why I try never buy anything which is sent by courier.

Fed up with windows never know what the computer is doing, in fact I think this may be last windows machine. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Some leaks of... wait for it... Windows 11 <guffaws>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

It's one damn thing after another!

Midsummer in England, it's cold and wet, and after four days they've finally fixed my central heating.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote