Clear all

What Game Have You Bought.

Page 1 / 15

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

What games have you bought recently
Pick up a copy of S.T.A.G for my collection, it for the Amiga and its a bit like a prototype X game but without the graphic.

Also I continue to add slowly to my big box 90s pc game collection with Simon The Sorcerer 1 and 2 and Dungeon Master 2.

Managed to finally get a copy of Vampire the masquerade bloodlines read about the game over the years and apparently it meant to be a really good rpg.

IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Hmm, lets see, I just purchased a month of EVE, then I got Gothic 3 (love open world RPG's.) My most recent purchase was Left 4 Dead 2, which is about as fun as the first. 🙂

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was ok, I seem to remember a community patch being released that fixed 99% of issues. That being said, its still a bit buggy, loading takes forever imho, and to be frank, I didn't find the story all that engaging. 😕

I think it was one of those games, made by fans, for fans. YMMV

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Only games I have bought recently was Mass Effect 1 ($5 on EA Store) and Star Wolves 3 ($17 in bargain bin).

I play on a Lineage II free server often and I also play the Battle for Wesnoth (great indie game and its free).

The FF14 beta starts on Tuesday and I wanted to play a little LOTRO when its F2P starts.

Main game I am waiting for besides Black Prophecy is GUILD WARS 2 ... that game is going to be the 'one to rule them all'. I will make a post on this game to let you guys decide what you think but this is going to kick ass.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I read there were number of problems with Bloodlines, but my first problem will be actually getting the game installed as it by Activision and my cursed dvd drive will not recognises any of there disks 😆

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

@ Darkone. Ive been meaning to try Battle for Wesnoth, but I abhore turn based strategy. Give me Rome Total War, or Mount and Blade (which is on sale btw.) for that awesome adrenaline decision making. Im downloading now. Rather hefty download.

@Pinback LOL. Well, I got my copy through steam. So... might try that route. Still 20 bucks tho.

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered

Recent games bought in no particular order:

Minecraft: Indie game that easily suck up time while you're trying to build a castle. Do a Google and get hooked.

Distant Worlds: Well we all know this one and for some reason it doesn't do it for me.

Star Trek Online: Got a couple of months of time invested in this one and at the end it left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's a good game but not nearly enough to do i it. Recent changes may make me sign up for another month though.

Starcraft II: Best RTS around atm. Enough said.

Star Ruler: 4x game that's growing to be allot of fun.

Dragon Quest IX (DS): Very very good RPG for the handheld.

Puzzle Quest 2 (DS): Not as good as the first imho but still very fun to play.

Games I'm waiting for:

Diablo 3: Doesn't really require explanation.

Black Prophecy: See above.

Star Wars: the Old Republic: See above 2 items:

Guild Wars 2: DarkOne, gotta agree with you on this one, if they live up to their promises this is bound to be a $#!*load of fun.

Grim Dawn: RPG that should be fun. Made by the guys that did Titan's Quest, which is only second to Diablo 2 in it's genre.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Thanks for the heads up on Grim Dawn, I loved playing Titans Quest (and expansion) and enjoyed it a bit more than Diablo 2. They are pretty equal in gameplay but TQ has better gfx. I am excited about SWTOR but need to see more on PVP gameplay. Looks like BioWare going to make a great story in this game and just don't want to pay per month for a glorified SP game with MMO properties.

I have heard a lot of complaints about STO and its a shame because this IP could be relevant for a long time if done right. But I give STO a few more months before it is F2P with store. Only bad thing is that Cryptic looks like they are getting the nod to do Neverwinter Nights 3...

Star Ruler I will probably pickup after a few more patches, it looks like the devs and the community are pulling together to give this game the respect it needs, support them indie devs.

And of course GW2 is going to rock and I will be buying that definitely and even better that there is no monthly subscription.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Pick up Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast.Got a copy of Jagged Alliance 2 but never played it is there not a new one out as well ❓ .

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Like Braindead, I also got Minecraft following a recommendation from Madtoaster. Totally crazy little game, I keep exploring caves then get lost and have to dig myself out! 😆 Looks a lot like a first person Darwinia, here is a link http://www.minecraft.net/

Some of the things people have created with it are amazing. A group even created the planet Earth, here have a look,

. Slartibartfast or what? 😆

Ironhound mentioned Rome Total War, I always preferred the first Medieval game to the second one. The second one was good too, but the first one just had a certain something 🙂 I just wish I could get it to run properly on this crappy modern PeeCee I have 🙁

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Lemmings for the pc, it easy to forget how old this games is as when I opened the box, along with the 3.5 disk there was also three 5 ¼ disks. 😯 😆
Also pick up Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, played the game on the PS2 but never had the PC version.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Had Mass Effect 1 & 2 laying around in my Steam account for long enough and decided to give them a go. They almost manage to match Deus Ex for story, almost...... 🙄

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered

PINBACK wrote:
Pick up Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast.Got a copy of Jagged Alliance 2 but never played it is there not a new one out as well ❓ .

aye there is a 3rd JA, don't remember the name though, but it is not nearly as good as JA2. (read: it sucked monkey balls)

JA2 is considered by many to be the best in turn based tactical games. There's been allot of games that have tried to emulate it, but sadly they are all full of fail. If you want a good turn based tactical experience I suggest you play JA2, if you don't mind the slightly outdated graphics.

TBH, JA2 is the only good turn based tactical game I've ever played 😕 which is a shame because the genre is really good.

Come to think of it, I do know of a turn based game but it's more in the RPG genre, namely Knights of the Chalice. It's an indie that uses 3rd edition D&D rules, and the AI is really smart, and I do mean really smart. As in web --> fireball combo's, charming your tanks, focus firing your cleric, and silencing your wizards. No cheap AI tricks like the AI having better hit chances or better damage, just AI that plays like you would, ie play the most effective way...

You can read up about it here:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/newsarchive.php?words=chalice

BE AWARE: the guys on that site are a bit, how shall I put it, a-holes? Yeah that's about right.

EDIT: I forgot to mention they are RPG snobs as well 😮

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I will have dig JA2 out and give a go, as for turn based game UFO always been a fav and Front Missions on the PS1 I liked a lot, although not a turn based game Commando 2 I really enjoyed playing it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Decided to have a wonder down to one of the local boot fairs this morning, not many seller there pick up a copy of Populous the beginning and found a game I have been looking for, for ages Alien Resurrection on the PS1. 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Oddworld Strangers Wrath for the Xbox, maybe it time I bought an Xbox as I keep buying the odd game for it. 😆

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Just bought Final Fantasy 13 for the PS3 and liking it a lot. Square Enix definitely did a great job on this one with there hardly being a difference between CGI and game play it looks really good... of course that is in 1080p.

ReplyQuote
Solace
(@solace)
Senior Chief Registered

Hundreds of them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

X superbore box

Evil Genius on the PC and a couple of more x box games Munch Oddysee and Mercenaries although he disk looks badly scratched and may not work.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I too got the superbox, but will likely have to wait until next week to receive it from Amazon. You have Evil Genius Pinback? I loved that game! The traps you could create could cause some hilarious results! Although the game was obviously inspired by Dungeon Keeper, I always thought there was a little of No One Lives Forever in there too 😉

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

PINBACK wrote:
X superbore box

Evil Genius on the PC and a couple of more x box games Munch Oddysee and Mercenaries although he disk looks badly scratched and may not work.

You bought the "superbore" box, lol? 🙂 Are you a collector, Pinback, driven to have things for completeness' sake? I thought you'd be the last person to pick this up. I bought Terran Conflict that way but there's no way I'm buying every game again in a massive collection! C'mon, Egosoft - what are you going to do next??

This weekend I bought Aquanox 1 & 2 from GOG.I'd played Archimedean Dynasty on Dosbox and had always heard how good these games were supposed to look, even if the gameplay wasn't as good. and I want to support GOG a little more as there's no other service like it and it would be a crime if it disappeared. Disappeared properly, I mean - dumb publicity stunts notwithstanding. 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

<div class="bbcode_quote">
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Stardreamer wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">

You bought the "superbore" box, lol? 🙂 Are you a collector, Pinback, driven to have things for completeness' sake? I thought you'd be the last person to pick this up.</div>
</div>

I collect space trading games, so like any one who collects anything you tend to get a bit obsesses, 😀 don't know about playing any of them, 😆 might have look at X2 again. 😕

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Stardreamer wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">This weekend I bought Aquanox 1 & 2 from GOG.I'd played Archimedean Dynasty on Dosbox and had always heard how good these games were supposed to look, even if the gameplay wasn't as good. :D</div>
</div>

Bought a copy of Archimedean Dynasty off flea bay but still have not got around to playing it. 😳

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Geraldine wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I too got the superbox, but will likely have to wait until next week to receive it from Amazon. You have Evil Genius Pinback? I loved that game! The traps you could create could cause some hilarious results! Although the game was obviously inspired by Dungeon Keeper, I always thought there was a little of No One Lives Forever in there too ;)</div>
</div>

Play the Evil Genius demo when it first came out and thought Iam going to have to get a copy of that, then totally forgot about it.
Love the Dungeon Keeper games as they have the single greatest game feature ever “IMP SLAPPING”. 😆 😆
Never played any of the No One Live forever games.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Evil genius is great, I have a copy of that collecting dust somewhere.

Its far too short though I think theres only 2 or 3 levels IIRC.

The game I've been playing quite a lot this year is Dwarf Fortress, a free game.

It has many similarities to Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper, more to Dungeon keeper.

Its a very impressive game, although it sounds pretty dorky 😉

Almost every aspect of the game is procedural, which means no two games are ever the same.

Before you play the game will generate from scratch an entire land-mass, as well as generate civilizations and populations and track every person created. This all gets added to the world history, which is also procedurally generated.

The world is created very realistically, with erosion, rainfall, wind and weather ect.

An example of the realism:

I remember reading that someone had keyed in the height map for Western-Europe, The game then filled in forests lakes and rivers in almost the same places as real life, all based on its procedural settings.. Even some cities were in the same place, such as paris, although it had some rediculous name 🙂

I'm sorry if this has turned into an advertisement for Dwarf Fortress, but it really is a good game.. IF you can get over the learning curve, which is pretty immense.

The game itself:

Comprised of 3 parts, Dwarf/Fortress mode, Adventure mode and Legends/Historical mode.

In Dwarf mode, you set out with 7 dwarves to make your mark on the world you just created. You have to mine the Earth for your materials, and build build build 🙂

But it has a lot of depth, the materials you mine are real, with real properties.

The dwarves all have their own histories and likes/dislikes as well as personality.

Here is a pic of the description of my Mayor. just so you can see the insane depth this game goes into:

Dwarf%20Fortress%202010-10-10%2018-41-22-37.jpg

Here is the main view you will see in the game:

The Red 7s either side of the bridge are magma, as this fort it built inside a volcano.

It has elaborate ways of releasing the magma onto unsuspecting tree-hugging elves and would-be invader Goblins. 😉

The red smears on the bridges are Elf blood.

You can also see some Polar bears, I bought those from the elves and bred about 50 of them into war animals, which help to defend the fort with my military dwarves 🙂

Dwarf%20Fortress%202010-10-10%2018-42-32-45.jpg

And heres an overview of my fort in a visualiser app, that you can run alongside the game:

What your looking at is a giant Clear Glass pyramid which is situated directly over the caldera of a volcano. The volcano has been demolished and the glass pyramid build in its place. Eventually the lava will flow/erupt out of the top of the pyramid, but its taking a long time.

knifesea%20overview.jpg

In advernture mode, you take control of one guy, and travel the world visiint your old forts and villages doing 'adventures'. Its ok but Dwarf mode is better.

In Legends mode, you can inspect every detail of the world. Population, history ect ect.

Link: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Does anyone else know of Dwarf Fortress?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like the ultimate dwarf fortress.

Ghost master is another game in the mould of Dungeon Keeper is there any more.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Bought an xbox an original one still in its box , look like it never been used.

I guess I should have looked at the back of box a bit closer although the Chinese letters should have been a bit of a give away as it turns out to be a region 3 one. 🙄

Then again it was only 7.99. 😀

Also got a brand new joystick for a fiver haven’t used one about 10 years.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Yesterday I finally succumbed and bought AI War from Arcen games. I wish I could recommend it but in all honesty I don't [yet] know what all the fuss is about with this one. - I bought it purely to support the developers, who seem to churn out new content on a frighteningly quick basis, not to mention recently porting the entire game into a brand new engine. I also bought it to support their efforts to raise money for a sick children's charity. Finally, the entire internet seems to love the game giving me the sneaking suspicion I'm missing out on something... 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 15