I heard changing ol...

Notifications
Clear all

I heard changing old games is very hard, Babylon 5 IFH controls update not possible

tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

So, Babylon 5 IFH has someone maintaining a facebook page for the game. They were responsive and I chatted with them on messenger this morning. 

I was hoping to make a request for the controls settings and options to be updated to allow for 6 axis control without the use of a toggle that toggles between rotation and strafe. The "curator" as I will call them informed me that this probably was not a possibility because: 

- the devs long ago stopped working on the project

- actually the software that it takes to compile these older games is rare, so a lot of people wouldn't be able to do it no matter what

basically that's all. anyway, I was wondering if I could gain some more insight into this. If someone knows some way I could somehow make suggestions for this, I would be interested to hear about any thoughts. 

I have a need for a 6axis game just like babylon5 IFH because I have a bunch of junky old computers and I want to be able to play such a game on them. My present games "Orbital Racer", "Infinity Battlescape", and "Astrokill" all allow for 6axis simultaneous and manual thrust gameplay, but all require a much more modern machine and actually a lot of graphics power to play. (considering older hardware). I have some machines that could probably play the games a bit,, but I have another problem. I am hoping to find playtesters for my gamepad, and particularly if my plan is to look in my local area, I want to be able to suggest an experience that can be done on a budget laptop. Even a modern budget laptop is not going to really work for these games. I've tried budget computers before, and these games are WHY I have a more gameable computer now. They don't even finish loading. 

My gamepad is a separate discussion, but as I mentioned it, it's a 4 joystick gamepad. It's really quite good, and it works in Babylon5 IFH already,, except I can't assign the controls, because the options menu only offers a toggle option to access strafe. you can see the arduino project page here.

https://hackaday.io/project/180884-4-joystick-6-axis-6-dof-game-controller

If anyone had any other ideas on how I might be able to have a really small game that can play on budget laptops I would be so happy to hear about them. It NEEDS to support my gamepad (which just requires that the game can take 8 joystick inputs. actually it seems pretty easy and common), and it NEEDS to offer MANUAL 6axis thrust control. It's ok if you can have an "automatic thrust" option, where you go forward and point and a computer stabilizes you to that vector, or maybe you set a throttle and don't even push forward thrust and it sets you to your vector,, but it MUST have a way to toggle such that the ship does not have any vector stabilization so I can spend my time, and challenge others on my gamepad, to do so. 

Thanks!! 

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Got a few suggestion for 6dof games, not sure what spec they would require or if they would work on budget laptop, especially the older games from the late 90 early 2000.

Have you had a look at the Decent game.

Independence war 1 and 2 might be worth a look and can be found on Steam.

Terminus probably only found on abandon ware sites along with Hardwar but off hand can remember what flight system Hardwar used.

Newer games which can be found on Steam are Evochron Legacy and Absolute Territory along with Lunar Flight. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@pinback I'm familiar with evochron, but it seems to be incompatible with my joystick. I actually only had evo mercenary, but I seem to think that the updates to the newer games for controls were added to the old game. Maybe i will investigate that more. Also, the evochron developer very slowly does revisit his games, and I think I saw he's working on another one, so perhaps an update request is plausible?? It's not really the best game for performance navigation, however. It's a lot more wide open space. 

Descent, if I'm not mistaken, does not have inertial thrust, but instead has highly stabilized thrust,, so you move forward only while you hold a button. That's true, however, I should just go monkey with it. Also, that is an easier introduction, so if I am planning to share the controller with someone on their first try, perhaps a game that DOESN'T float so much would provide an easier experience. 

I am going to have to look up those others, but I don't have confidence in controller support. I feel like I've looked them up before and for one reason or another they didn't suit me. I do appreciate the response however! I wish someone knew how to update B5ifh. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looks like they have lost the source code according to a post on the indiDB page. Babylon 5: I've Found Her - Danger & Opportunity Windows game - Indie DB

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@pinback maybe that's what they were talking about in the messages. 

ReplyQuote