Notifications
Clear all

GoD Factory: Wingmen on Kickstarter

Page 1 / 2

Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

So yeah, I was pretty much missing in action on these forums recently, in no small part because I was preparing this:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninedots/god-factory-wingmen

I think that the rewards are actually some pretty good deal on their own, without the adding benefit of saving an indie studio 😛 So let me know what you guys think, and if you could help spread the word around, I'd deeply appreciate it. I think that combining the most popular genre (MOBA) with space sims could help the genre as a whole be more recognized, but of course I'm quite biased on the subject 😛

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Nice pitch Guillaume think you will have a good chance of hitting the target as well.

Look forward to hearing more about the single player game mentioned in the vid.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Well I sure hope I'll have the occasion of making it!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

God factory seems to have stall a bit as there are now at the half way point of their 45 day Kickstarter, hopefully it will start picking up in the next 20 odd days.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

It did stall but that was to be expected with E3. We'll need to find a way to get back to a momentum, we're making frequent updates and we are trying to get coverage in major websites but it ain't easy to get their attention. By the way, if anyone would like to tip their favorite gaming news sources about GoD Factory it would be quite appreciated 🙂 It's one thing if it's me who contact them, it's another if we got people vouching for us without having a financial interest at stake!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Only two weeks to go. seems to moving again but still a long way to go.

Hopefully we will some more video from them.

4gJNBzR_zps6f73780a.jpg

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

11 days to go and we still have a lot to get. I don't want to give up too soon however, there's been many stories of KS campaigns reaching their goal in the last week while everyone was expecting it to fail.

By the way, which of the 4 exclusive ships do you prefer Pinback? 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Huntmaster

By the way, which of the 4 exclusive ships do you prefer Pinback? 😉

Huntmaster.

Will you doing anymore video?.

As for the Kickstarter  "it's not over till the fat lady sings" as they say.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'll try, but I no longer have a camera, I had to borrow one for a friend so now the only videos we can make are with a webcam and/or gameplay videos. What do you think would be a pertinent video to do?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

How about a design vid on how you reached the final look of the game and ship ect as you do have a unique look to the game.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'll talk about it with our art lead 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Update for GOD with a cool station pic 😎

So, we've got $48,000 left to gather in the next 9 days. The challenge is colossal, but far from impossible. We're starting our last push and I think it's still definitely possible to pull off, and this is why:

GameBinge

"This game could be one of those big indie games that catch the mainstream attention"

BiasBear
http://biasbear.com/god-factory-space-sim-and-moba-combine-into-awesome/

The title says it all

Dealspwn
http://www.dealspwn.com/god-factory-wingmen-handson-preview-kickstarting-space-combat-moba-141245

"Nine Dots have clearly put a lot of work into the ship models, packing them with animated detail, and I'm also impressed by the art style and ship designs that resemble practically nothing else on the market."

RockPaperShotgun
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/26/more-videogames-god-factory-wingmen/

"Quite how multiplayer space-combat dogfighters vs capital-ship game GoD Factory: Wingmen hasn’t raised the mere $70,000 Kickstarter ask is beyond me."

ZAM
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32509

"Two of the hottest things in gaming right now are MOBAs and the Oculus Rift. When you take those two things and whip in a spicy dash of sci-fi space combat, it's hard not to get a tad excited. To the point of twitching."

GreenlitGaming
http://greenlitgaming.com/god-factory-wingmen-preview/

There is nothing simple about GoD Factory. I got my first taste of the game at Pax East 2013, and I can truthfully say that the game is as deep as it is beautiful.

CapsuleComputers
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2013/05/god-factory-wingmen-hands-on-preview/

Arguably, one of the biggest draws to GoD Factory is the deep customization the game offers. Even with an early build of the game, the options are almost overwhelming.

1001-up
http://1001-up.com/2013/06/03/god-factory-is-out-of-this-world/

The game also supports Oculus Rift, and we can’t wait to put our headset on and feel like Captain Kirk whilst totally immersed on the cockpit of our own custom-made ship.

Awesomeoutof10
http://www.awesomeoutof10.com/features/money-shots-god-factory-wingmen/

with eight ships all zooming around a 1.5 kilometre-long space barge. all firing off laser weapons with different effects and teaming up to take out key systems, it seems like a hell of a lot of fun.

DevLPers

Just listen to the comments at 12:00 and on 🙂

So this is what's going on. People everywhere love the game once they get their hands on it. If we can reach out to more people and let them know, then we'll meet our objective, I'm sure. And no later than this morning, we've had an article in RockPaperShotgun and another in Kotaku! These websites are huge, and if we can keep this up, there is no reason why we'd fail. Since 7:30AM, we've got 2000 in a few hours. Help us reach out to more websites and channels on Youtube/Twitch and we'll get through this.

stationgod_zps95db096c.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another update from the Kickstarter.

Yesterday was an amazing day

Yesterday, we got coverage in joystiq, Kotaku and RockPaperShotgun. That was amazing, we made 4000 in 24 hours. We're so happy to have new backers, we get new pledges at a steady pace again. This must not stop! Help us share the word, tell your friends to support us and share on facebook and twitter!

The Greenlight Supershow!

The very awesome Alix of Robot Loves Kitty contacted us a while ago to take part in the Greenlight Supershow, a marathon of coverage for great games currently on Greenlight. For the whole day, there will be footage of games to discover and we'll be part of it. Here's a link that will tell you everything you need to know about it!

http://robotloveskitty.com/supershow/

Fan-made trailer 😀

Our backers are freaking incredible. Matt Brown went above and beyond and actually made a trailer for us, and we really appreciate it.

Youtube and Twitch

We've spent a lot of time reaching out to websites lately and now we are turning to Twitch and Youtube to get more reach. Who would you like to see play GoD Factory? Tell us! Or better yet, tell them!

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hey Pinback, we followed your suggestion and we're currently making a video on the art direction and ship designs 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Look forward to seeing it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Update from Kickstarter

Screenshots, and lots of them.

We just added an album filed with new screenshots of the game, check them out!

/

AMA

There is an AMA (Ask me anything) thread on reddit right now in which we answer any question you might have, so if you're curious, here's the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1h7gdt/hi_im_guillaume_founder_of_nine_dots_the_whole/

Facebook/Twitter

Speaking of which, you don't need an AMA thread to get in contact with us. I have a twitter account and we also have a facebook page that we update frequently.

Playable build coming very soon

We should have a build that is stable enough for widespread distribution, and we found a way to make it playable by up to 500 concurrent users for a month. This is only a temporary solution and we won't be updating the build much, it's just so that you guys know where we are at and what's left to do. We're trying to have it ready ASAP.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you Pinback for your continued support, we appreciate it a lot at the studio. The artistic direction video is almost done and should be added in an update soon. We should be able to make a really cool announcement soon as well, stay tuned!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Update from Kickstarter for these of you who can catch it.

This is on very short notice but good news for our backers on the west coast! GoD Factory: Wingmen will be featured on StreaminCanadian tonight at 9PM. We'll use this opportunity to answer questions from people in the chat and we'll discuss the game's potential as an e-sport.

This is an excellent way to help us out besides your contribution. By joining the channel, you increase the chance that it gets featured by Twitch on its home page.

So don't miss this, tonight at 9PM PST
http://www.twitch.tv/streamincanadian

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Excellent video Guillaume 😎 If you do think about doing another Kickstart then I would say do more videos about the game. (Art,Sound,Music ect)

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hehe, glad you like it. You'd be surprised by how much works it takes to make those videos! We'd love to do more, but resources are scarce. Still, we'll keep making new content, but at a much slower pace once our kickstarter is done.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

About half way to the target but now only 14 hours left

Good recap from Guillaume on what the Kickstarter has achieved.

With only a few hours left, I thought it would be fitting to list everything that happened since the start of the campaign.

We announced Mac and Linux

It took us some time to confirm this, but we confirmed that we indeed could make a Mac and then a Linux version of the game. Not only that, but no matter what version you play, you'll be able to play with your friends.

We made and revealed the 4 exclusive ships for backers

We've outdone ourselves, being able to come up with 4 sets of wings, hulls and cockpits for the exclusive ships. We made sure they all had a very unique look that would set them apart from the rest as a thank you to our backers.

We made videos of a match seen from both teams

We're game developers, not video editors, so believe us when we say it's a lot of work for us to make decent videos 😛 Still, we were quite happy to show how tense games can be in GoD Factory.

We made a video showcasing the Oculus Rift

As we said, we aren't very good at making videos, but we still wanted to show somehow in what ways Oculus is a definitely great addition to the game.

We got tons of extremely favorable previews

We were constantly pushing to the press to get mentions. It was a late during the campaign, but we've had mentions in some very big websites, including Kotaku, Joystiq and RockPaperShotgun. But even better, we've been piling up many favorable previews over the weeks, although by smaller websites who did take the time to try out the game and fly around with us. None were left unconvinced after trying a few matches.

We were on the Greenlight Supershow!

It was quite a long day! Alix of Robot Loves Kitty organized a 13 hours long marathon on twitch to feature great Greenlight games. We were glad to take part in this event and we met some really awesome people in the process. We even announced at the very end that we'd make a special hat as a vanity item for every backer on kickstarter 😛

A fan made a trailer for us!

This time we can't even take credit for it, Matt Brown offered to make a trailer for us, which added to the video material during the campaign. Thanks again Matt!

We made tons of screenshots

To provide with more material, we got a big library of screenshots to look at, showing the game from various angle and displaying the variety and quality of the visuals in our game.

/

We released a build for everyone to try

Oh boy, was this one a huge deal of work for us. We were far from ready to do this when we started the campaign. After a lot of focused work, we got a build that was sufficiently stable and with a good enough quality to release to the public. There is still a whole lot of work to do, but this way you could get a really honest view of where we are at, what's done, how fun it already is, and what's left to do.

We also had a very frustrating issue, as the link for the .zip on the kickstarter page at first was leading to the wrong build 🙁 It's fixed now, so for those who encountered this issue, know that it was us, not you!

We now have forums

Among all this, we also got a forum running for anyone who want to start discussion on GoD Factory, inform us of bugs, provide feedback, schedule matches or exchange build ideas.

We played with many of you 🙂

One of the greatest boon of this campaign was this. We got to play with you guys, and the reception was once again quite good. We've been surprised by how quick some of you got used to the games intricacies. Glad to see some very talented gamers among our ranks!

Needless to say, we've been busy. However, a lot of these efforts was taking us away from the development of the game. The kickstarter will be soon over and we'll move back to full-time development and try to catch up.

So of course, there are many things we forgot to mention, but I think we can fairly say we did all we could. No matter the results, we can be proud of what we achieved in so little time.

Thank you everyone for your support. We're so happy to have found people who believe in our project.

- Guillaume

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Sadly God factory wingmen failed to reach it target.

Good news is that Nine dots will be continuing working on the game.

Hello everyone. As you know, we've been unsuccessful at raising the funds for GoD Factory. However, we've started building a community and achieved a lot during the campaign, which helped us make many connections.

Thanks to these connections, while one doors was shut, others were opened. We don't intend to give up yet. A lot of people suggested that we were in fact almost ready to start alpha funding and many of you said you would jump on the occasion to back us again. We may relaunch a kickstarter campaign in the future, or we may just start the alpha funding sooner than we expected and see how it goes.

Now that the kickstarter is over, we won't be making as many updates anymore. We'll still do it for major announcements, such as if/when we'll launch the alpha funding for instance, but if you want to keep a constant stream of news from us, I recommend that you like our facebook page. We use it regularly to send updates, inform of new videos or articles about us. We also have a website of course, and we also have a forum in which we'd love to see more of you!

The game will stay available for a few weeks, so we hope that you'll bring in some friends! We don't have that many players at the moment, and one thing that isn't helping is that you can't see games when they are in progress, giving the impression that there are even less players online than what we really have!

Finally, I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who pledged and who helped spread the word. During the final weeks we've had a very strong push and we went from 500 to 800 backers in a very short period of time. For us, that's a really big number. The average pledge was very high as well, and a lot of people upped their pledge in the last days in order to help us achieve our goal. This is incredible. I thought I'd be really down if we didn't meet our objective, but my takeaway is that we have an amazingly supportive community building around GoD Factory and that alone is good enough to keep my smiling through it all. Thank you so much everyone. The whole team is honored to have you all. We'll find a solution, we'll persist as much as we can.

By the way, Scott Manley did a let's play video of our game, so if you want to see someone playing and commenting for almost 20 minutes, here it is!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like there will be a new Kickstarter starting tomorrow if I read the message right.

Game deserves a second chance but maybe they should have lowered the target. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New kickstarter has gone live http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/271033429/god-factory-wingmen-0?ref=live

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New update seems to be going well so far.

Well, this is an amazing start. In 24 hours, we raised $9700, and this is thanks to you all.

While I was playing online with some new backers yesterday, I was asked if we intended to have voice chat implemented in the game. Yes we do! 

In fact, we will integrate Razer Comms in our game, meaning that we'll be sure to have high quality sound even though it's far from our area of expertise. Until then, you can simply use Razer Comms as-is and join the GOD FACTORY group to find players you can team with. The software adds a UI overlay to the game. It's not intrusive and it means you don't have to alt-tab all the time.

You can download it following this link:  http://www.razerzone.com/comms

By the way, it's free. Even if you want to host your own groups, you don't have to spend a dime. Needless to say, this had a lot of weight in our decision to use them as our VoIP solution. It's pretty light too, so it shouldn't affect your game's performance.

Besides, let's be honest: it's kinda hard to type and pilot a ship at the same time 😛

Thanks again everyone, and don't forget to share the campaign. We need to get the word out!

Oh and by the way, question for the Razer fans out there, do you guys think I nailed the black and green look?

image-328960-full.jpg?1379600106

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2