Notifications
Clear all

I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4

GoD Factory: Wingmen

Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hello everyone!

I'm the founder of Nine Dots Studio and we are currently working on a project which, I hope, will be appealing to you all.

In short, GoD Factory: Wingmen is a team based competitive space combat simulator featuring a complex ship customization system and unorthodox weaponry. Two teams of four are opposed in short matches in which the goal is to destroy the enemy's carrier ship while protecting your own. It's the first installment in what we want to make into a strong new IP.

The main draw, in my opinion, is the customization. In most space sims, you choose a ship model and weapons and that's mostly it. I find that too simple, and I always liked the feeling of having something that is "mine". So in GoD Factory, you build your ship part by part: Hull, Wings, Cockpit, Thrusters, Main Weapon, Wing Weapon(s), Power Core, Shield Generator, Main Computer, Weapon Control Unit, Species-specific device and Special add-on. All of these parts have a major impact on how to play your ship and most of them change the appearance of your ship or grants you special abilities. You also get to choose colors and the material finish for your ship. You buy these ship parts by spending the points you earned by playing games.

[attachment=1674:ScreenshotShips_14Fev2013_AR.jpg]

Something unique about our game is that you don't bring just one ship to the fight, you bring two. How that works is that while you control one, the other one is docked and its shield is recharged. That's the main way to "heal", so you have to switch between ships at the right balance to avoid dying. You can also share your ships with other players, so if a veteran plays with a newbie, the veteran will know how to make the best use of even a weak ship, while the newbie will be more useful in a match if he's using a stronger spacecraft (you don't have to share if you don't want to).

[attachment=1675:ScreenshotShips_14Fev2013_Human.jpg]

As I said earlier, the goal is to destroy the enemy carrier. To do that, the player must destroy different key areas of the enemy Carrier to incapacitate it and ultimately destroy it. There are different effects to destroying the different parts of the Carrier. For instance, if I destroy the communication tower you won't receive alerts when other parts of your ship are dropping below 50% and if you destroy my ammo warehouse I won't be able to recover more than 60% of my ammo capacity when I dock. Every carrier ship has 6 integrity points: when they lose all 6, it's game over. The carriers have more than 6 parts however, so you need to decide which parts you want to target.

[attachment=1676:ScreenshotShips_14Fev2013_BG.jpg]

Quick note: Carriers are 13 kilometers long and are big enough to have dogfights inside them.

In terms of control, the game is technical. It's not like freelancer where you just point in a direction and you go that way. It's more like piloting a plane, where you have to pitch, roll and yaw. However you also add special maneuvers and inertia into the mix. It still has a arcade feel to it though, more so than straight up simulation. It was necessary to make the dogfighting fast and appealing. The controls respond best with a joystick, or even with a gamepad, than with a mouse for this reason. If you got a joystick gathering dust, I'm pretty sure that we're going to be a solution to that problem.

[attachment=1677:ScreenshotShips_14Fev2013_Guantri.jpg]

There are four playable species planned for launch, all of which are very unique both in terms of gameplay and lore. We went all out with our species. No blue slutty lesbians for once. I always found absurd that in pretty much any science fiction universe, sentient aliens are just humans with a different head or scales. For this reason, no other species is humanoid and all have very unique features. However, the deeper aspect of the species will be more relevant in GoD Factory: Refugee, which is our planned Single Player addition to the franchise once we've completed GoD Factory: Wingmen (but only if we end up making money...)

There is so much I could say about the game, I could go on and on about it. It's a major undertaking, and we've been working on it full time for the past 9 months and there's still a lot to do. We'll probably do a crowdfunding campaign eventually. I'd like to know if you're interested so far. Recently we were featured in Kotaku and they've shown the most recent footage of our alpha build.

Here's the vid:

I hope that this got a few of you excited 🙂

Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Oh and by the way, every "like" on facebook is very appreciated, we could definitely use the visibility!

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Just read your background info on the game and watched the video and I have to say that it sounds like a pretty solid and fun game. Although your art style isn't exactly my type, it is quite original and good looking. About the carrier ... 13 km ?!?! Wow !

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hi Guillaume

Nice opening to GoD Factory: Wingmen, that video does show off some nice gameplay. I like the fact that there will be no humaniod race in the game. In doing this, it lets you have the ability to be creative with your art style as we can see in the video and in the screenshots.

For instance, if I destroy the communication tower you won't receive alerts when other parts of your ship are dropping below 50% and if you destroy my ammo warehouse I won't be able to recover more than 60% of my ammo capacity when I dock.

I liked this a lot, having there be truly some negative effects for you as subsystems go down on your carrier and of course bad recourse for the enemy as well.

One thing you didn't mention was whether the carriers would launch any torps or long range gun fire at each other and will the ships be armed with flak guns, turrets, missile defense and things like that? 

So it sounds like 'Wingmen' will be a client/server game? Will there be A.I. bots if a human player drops or you don't have a full team?

Wingmen looks pretty playable now, would any kickstarter be for getting released sooner or adding more content? Looking forward to seeing more of the ship customizations you have planned and showing that off will really help when you finally do try to crowd fund this game. 

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

@Time Bandit: Thanks! We wanted to set ourselves apart with the artistic direction. Some will like it more than others, but at the very least it doesn't leave indifferent.

@DarkOne: The carriers have a main cannon which shoots every 3 minutes, or every 5 minutes if they are damaged. Whenever these cannon fires, the enemy carrier lose one out of 6 integrity points, which helps setting up a maximum game length. It also makes it possible to play either defensively or offensively.

The games will be hosted on Photon servers. There aren't any bots planned for launch, but it's something we want to add as post release support. While the game is indeed in the very least playable right now there's still a whole lot of work left to do. We've nearly ran out of funds and soon I will start indebting myself to keep the production going, which will drastically limit the kind of marketing we can do for the game and will also force us to finish the game faster than what we'd like. So it's mostly a matter of content, polishing and increasing awareness. It will also affect the quality of the soundtrack, since we intend to outsource it.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

your ships design remind me a bit those ones :  http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/gallery/image/5-albatross4/  

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hmmm, I admit that I don't see it 😛

By the way, we got a new vid lately, That one doesn't have sound but it features textured ships and we can see a little bit of the menus in which the ships are assembled!

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

Nice vid, but no music (i liked the one you put on the first video you published, some weeks ago)

Technical question : for your 2D-GUI are you using a 3rd-party like CeGUI (or something like that) or is it a homegrown framework ??

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

We tried doing it ourselves but ended up using ngui. I saved us lots of troubles and we wished we did it from the start, but we hesitated because that plug-in cost a hundred bucks.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Nice video showing off some of that art, is that ship in 40 are those engines held on by some sort of barrier? Nice effect though. Ship creation tool looked pretty fluid and easy to use.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Yup, the wings are indeed "floating" on the sides of the main body/cockpit and there's an energy flowing between them to hold them together.

ReplyQuote
Guillaume
(@guillaume)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hey DarkOne, do you think you could make a subtopic for my game? I'd like to ask opinions on business models in another topic and I'd like to keep all GoD Factory stuff under the same section to make it easy to browse for anyone interested.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Sure, I can create a sub-forum no problem. Just PM me a 1-2 sentence description and a website link. It will be a forum so I will give you mod access to it, so you can then link to it from anywhere you want.

ReplyQuote