Notifications
Clear all

2012 retrospective

NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ladies & Gentlemen... Tadaaaa!!! Here is the 2012 retrospective

Very very little technical information, most of the post is about kickstarter campaign. This one is confirmed, and planned for "some time this year" (probably mid 2013) but only for a small "ICP 2" (Infinity: Battlescape), and not the full MMO; this should however include a single solar system and the planetary engine.

Final words : "2013 should be an exciting year for all of us!"  

<sarcastic_mode>(mmmmh I can remember I read nearly the same sentence in the 2011 retrospective : "2012 should see the release of some exciting new content") </sarcastic_mode>

Rendez-vous next year, same place, for the 2013 retrospective 

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

WOW, it's alive !! 😀 hehe

Just joking.

Well, let's see where this is going.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This isn't a bad idea to create something small like a multi-player game that they can sell and fund the MMO effort. But it will also give a nice gauge on interest in the game period and if the kickstarter doesn't do well then they might have to rethink their efforts. Personally I would have thought they would have ramped up I-Novae engine and really sold that or made it royalty based for them so they can constant income from the engine.

I hope the MP game is what everyone expects in the tech and the vision since we have been waiting several years for something from Infinity.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Topic starter  

To be honest I have to admit that, on the paper, Infinity:Battlescape is very exciting by itself, even if it covers a very reduced scope compared to Infinity:MMO initial specs. But I'm quite jaded as I'm following this project since 2007 and I never saw something really concrete produced except ICP (which, honestly, showed nothing revolutionary) and a few nice videos. I highly doubt seeing any playable game out before the end of the year, but in facts it would be nice if I'm wrong  🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

May be a case of Two little too late especially going with a MP game as you already have E:D promising the same but on a bigger scale, then you have SC and Miner wars as well as a number of other MP games.

Without going into too many details here's a brief overview of our Kickstarter campaign thus far (subject to change):

• The project is named Infinity: Battlescape (code name: IBS) and will be the logical successor to the ICP (Infinity combat prototype) released in 2007.
  • It will be a standalone game, probably sold at a lower price point (to be determined later) via digital distribution
  • It will take place in the Infinity universe and be focused on multiplayer combat
  • It will feature the seamless planetary engine, the full extent of this will likely be determined by the amount of money we raise from the Kickstarter
  • It will most likely take place in a single seamless solar system and a "map" will simply be a conflict with its own unique set of circumstances taking place at some location within this solar system
  • A lot of its development will be reused for Infinity such as the content (art) and some client code

A lot will depend on how much they ask for and if they can make it distinct from the other games.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Thing is, if they had released their game last year, or even this year, odds are they would've been crazy-successful but now as Pinback pointed out, the space-gaming scene suddenly went from "amateurish" to "Hollywood-material" and this kinda screws up the plans for possibly hundreds of in-development games out there because now these games don't bring anything to scene that can top or at least match the "big dogs".

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I that is the key, personally for any larger projects out there you need to come out before Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. Yeah we all have been waiting for Infinity for a very long time, and it will be tough for a new game IP like Infinity to compete with existing and very popular game IP's and/or developers creating top end games.

Personally they should steer Infinity towards a Noctis type of experience, outside of that it is really how they monetize their game. Or make it into a SP game with MP abilities and stay away from MMO. With the flood of MMO's period it is a very tough market to survive in.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I don't think it looks too promising for Infinity what ever they do now.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Even before Star Citizen was revealed, Infinity had lost any hope of being successful.  It looked impressive when it was shown 7 years ago.  But 7 years have passed.  It's just not as impressive nowadays, and there is no way it could ever meet people's expectations of over 10 years of development.

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

I'm going to stand up for Flavien & Keith as I still think their tech has the jump on Star Citizen & Elite:Dangerous.

The planets will look incredibly pretty in both those games but I-Novae has first and foremost always been about seamless planet fall. DB & Frontier have promised to roll that feature out about a year after launch, and Chris has said that the CryEngine isn't built for tgat feature.

They are behind now, but I think the seamless planetary landing work they are so obviously striving to perfect will at least see their KS be a success.

I just wish that E:D had it from day one - but the fact it doesn't will work in I-Novae's favour.

And besides - isn't Keith Newton an ex-dev from one of the bigger gaming companies anyway? Surely his experience there holds them in good stead.

Anyway - I never thought I'd say this but we are fastly approaching the Silver Age of space-sims. Cheers gentlemen, smoke me a kipper cause I'll be back for breakfast

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Some good points there Trumpet and I agree on the seamless planet aspect of the games that Infinity will be superior here, I know E:D talked about this and it should be a feature but Star Citizen really doesn't need this as a feature since it isn't going in that direction (not to say I wouldn't mind them doing it). So Infinity has a strength in planet rendering and they should play to that strength and make planets and exploration really be the strong features be a large selling point. I just don't want to see Infinity try to go up against a game like Star Citizen for combat/action because I have no doubt it would probably loose.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Topic starter  

An update about Infinity:Battlescape

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=26

I still think that this approach is wiser

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

So it looks like the Kickstarter will be later in the year.

ReplyQuote
RagnarofFenris
(@ragnaroffenris)
Crewman Registered

Hmm, the Infinity:Battlescape will be just another sci-fi moba in space! That kind of games we already have this days(star conflict etc).

I grown to much expectations for Infinity:QFE but alas, the years was pasing by and from that awesome idea/game we have nothing! I think that I-Novae are not enought capabil to build and bring to as that wast project of a game!

(sorry for my bad english Im from south-eastern europe). For now I grow hopes for other space games!

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Topic starter  

I think that their problem is that they aspired too high too fast. And starting by trying to make a MMO is generally a bad idea

ReplyQuote