Notifications
Clear all

Greetings, crew members!

numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hey, everyone. Name's Alex.

Found this site accidentally when I was searching for a Russian space sim community, which I didn't find, but when wrote http://www.spacesim in the adress bar Firefox has highlighted this adress (don't know how I missed it). But I'm glad I have made it here. It is good to have a place where everyone shares your interests.

As for me. I like everything associated with space, be it literature, games or movies. My favourite game is Freelancer, I am a fan of Gene Roddenberry's work, watch a lot of anime, like roleplay universes like Warhammer 40K and Vampire the Masquerade.

I have also some skills in 3D Max (but my experience here is very low) and Photoshop. I can also speak Russian, Ukrainian and more or less German, so if you need my services as a translator of those, I'd be glad to help.

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Welcome to the SSC Alex. 🙂

The pioneer dev team are looking for translators at the moment if you would like to do a Russian language version have a look here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2266

Also for a great Russian site (if you dont know about it already), have a look here http://www.elite-games.ru/

In fact, it is great we now have a Russian speaker on here at last. Lots of good work being done over there with regard to space sims 🙂 .

Maybe you could tell us what the heck they are up to over there? Especially if there is any new news about FFE3D. Google translate kind of struggles (with me at least) on that site 😳

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Quote:
The pioneer dev team are looking for translators at the moment if you would like to do a Russian language version have a look here

Wow, I didn't even expect to be suggested to translate a whole game. 😀 But I'll definitely take a look at it. Not sure, however, will I be able to handle the whole task all by myself depending on the volume of the text data.

Quote:
Also for a great Russian site (if you dont know about it already), have a look here http://www.elite-games.ru/

Yep, I have visited this site on several occasions, it really is great. Shame on me, I was so into looking for a site with "space sim" in the adress name that totally forgot about this one.

Quote:
Maybe you could tell us what the heck they are up to over there?

Well, I have never searched for news specifically on Russian developers and their games, but I'll try to monitor them if needed, maybe I'll find something interesting. Not in this month, however, my internets do not allow to surf internet so freely.

Quote:
Especially if there is any new news about FFE3D.

Never heard about FFE3D. What's this abbreviation stands for?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Кочевник wrote:
Never heard about FFE3D. What's this abbreviation stands for?

FFE 3D stands for Frontier First Encounters or Elite 3 if you like. It is a re-make of sorts of the original Elite 3 game with new graphics for the ship models, planetary terrain and loads of other improvements over the original game. It was done mainly by a Russian dev called Dreamzz. There is a copy in the downloads section of this site and you can chose either to download the full archive or do it in 4 parts if your net connection is slow.

Here is a link http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft ... ir=/FFED3D

Also bare in mind you will need 7zip to de-archive it. That is available in the download section too along with a load of other space sim related goodness. The Russian Elite Games site also has the game available for download.

If you do decide to try it out, do get Buffet as well. That is an editor for the game which will allow you to change the parameters of your ship and a load of other useful things too.

The game is fully playble but still needs finishing a little. This is why I asked if there was any new news on the game over on the Russian boards.

Anyways, have fun! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Zptr
 Zptr
(@zptr)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi Alex

When it comes to games it's fair to say that Russia is winning the space race and devs from beyond the old iron curtain have for the last decade been far more inspired by space than western studios. It would be interesting to research why that is. Is it a matter of resources (that a space setting is easier to create content for)? is it that people in Russia and Central/Eastern Europe are just more into space themes than the gun-obsessed West? Is it about escapism? One day

One day I'll look into this phenomenon. One day 🙂

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Well, Zptr, I can't agree with you on that.

What titles do we have with russian space sims? Space Rangers, Precursors, Parkan, The Chronicles of Tarr, Tomorrow War, Space Wolves? Take out the Chronicles of Tarr which is the copy of Freelancer (I played only demo where everything was identical: controls, interface, sounds, music) and Tomorrow War, which is total crap. Only four titles. And on the other hand we have the X-series, Wing Commander series, Freenancer and Starlancer, Free Space, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. A little bit more, I'd say.

But if there is a certain factor, that influences the productivity of Russians in the field of space sim, it is experience. There were not many space sims from russian developers till recent years, and on the contrary, Western developers have great experience in this field and they know that space sims are't very profitable because of narrower audience comparing to other genres.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Have Cold Stars from the devs that made Tarr Chronicles that never saw the light of day outside of Russia.

ReplyQuote