Notifications
Clear all

Hi gang

Bugbear
(@bugbear)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Looks like this place is starting to get invaded by the Oolite crowd.

And I'm another one!

Played Frontier way back on an Amiga. I remember getting out my high school physics to work out a formula that handles the newtonian physics...put in the forward, reverse thrusts and distance and it worked out when I needed to switch from forward to retro.

Currently playing Oolite, cruising around chart 2.

Great to see Frontier being rebirthed as Pioneer. Looked at a video of planetary exploration...looks fantastic and much better than what I remember from the original.

Now if I can just get it to compile on my dodgy Debian install...but that will be the subject for another post.

s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Hello and welcome Bugbear1973.

Everyone is always going on about Oolite, Im going to have to give it another chance.

I tried to get into it a year ago but it just didnt take.

I suppose its because I never played Elite as a kid, I only ever played Frontier and FFE. Ah those were the days hehe

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Welcome to SSC bugbear

Guess I might have to make a sub-forum for Oolite soon with so many people interested in it. I haven't yet because I knew there was a fairly large community site already. The Pioneer project is going nicely especially for an alpha build.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Not a big fan of Oolite, me. I've tried to get into it but for all its community led innovation, clever shaders, spiffy modelling, fan-created missions and whatnot the basic up-down spin-around gameplay is totally stagnant, a relic of a bygone era that should probably stay bygone. Frontier was a much-needed evolution for the concept and even that paradigm is looking a mite creaky (and yes, this includes the amazing Pioneer).

Just can't see the point of it myself.*shrugs*

Oh but welcome to the site, Bugbear! 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Bug bear

Welcome to the SSC. Hope you enjoy your stay 🙂

ReplyQuote