Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 percent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Newly registered member

Walker
(@walker)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin

Hi

newly registered member - not sure quite how or where to make my first post - so forgive if this is not the right place....

I'm Steve. I'm long in the tooth but still a devoted space flight fan.

I began on  the Commodore and then the Omega with the original Elite game, then moved to PCs to play Hardwar and I-War, X2-The Threat, etc.

I just want a reliable space solo adventure game that is beautiful to look at/experience and I can spend 1 or 1000 hours on whenever I want, exploring the furthest edges of some vast universe, with plenty of trading and maybe the occassionally inter-vessel shoot up.

But i'm fed up with PC gaming needing perpetual upgrading of hardware or drivers. Agree a lot with the comments expressed on this thread re modern game makers just re-working old games.

I found The "Pioneer" space game/flight/sim accidentally via WikiPedia. Pioneer looks visually very good so I thought i'd try it out. Not least because it's open-source and I was hoping that would prevent all the endless sillyness with upgrading graphics cards and drivers which seem to be at least partly a money making exercise - a mechanism to perpetually milk the gamer's money.

I DL'd the latest Pioneer version and thought i would test it on my old Win XP laptop (32bit). (I have a modern Win10 64bit machine, but didn't want to risk an unknown program on that laptop yet)

But although Pioneer installed smoothly, the moment i started it i go an error message saying "this is not  a Win32 program".

I like the look of the game and the idea that it is opensource etc. But although i'd like to join a forum with people wanting to discuss the game (playing and development), I can't seem to get anywhere with that.

Do others here have any experience of Pioneer?  

Is this the right place?

Can anyone help?

Regards, Steve

This topic was modified 5 months ago by DarkOne

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Welcome to SSC @Walker

I moved your post into its own topic so more people will see it since you replied to someone elses thread when this deserves its own 🙂

You will definitely want to post any questions in the Pioneer forum ( https://spacesimcentral.com/community/pioneer/) people in there should be able to help you out. I haven't really played around with Pioneer for a few years so I wouldn't be the best at answering this.

Yeah I agree as well not many developers are creating new ideas, but the old ideas if done well will make for a good game experience. I create a new gaming PC like every 4-5 yrs on avg... but I tend to like playing some of the newer games because most of us grew up on Atari's and the like so seeing something like we see today is a blessing to what I grew up with. Granted I definitely think the gaming experiences were better back then because games were less visual so they had to rely on their ideas and substance 🙂

ReplyQuote