Notifications
Clear all

It's been one heck of a night.

b4ux1t3
(@b4ux1t3)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Earlier tonight, I was playing GTA Online. Blowing things up, flying cargo planes into other people (or, more often, failing to fly cargo planes into people and dying). It was having a blast. Man, I love that game. Fast-forward to about 1 am. I'm just about to head to bed, when I decide to watch some Computerphile video on Youtube regarding the first 3D game ever.

I was astounded. I set out on a quest t run it on my computer, and eventually settled for Frontier: Elite 2. I had to dig around my computer until I found DOSBox, but I eventually got it up and running. Five minutes later I was cursing and spitting and in general not doing very well at the game, so I looked it up online and, lo and behold, the first thing that pops up when I search for controls is the wiki page for the game. The first thing that drew my eye was the upcoming Kickstarted Elite 4, which got me mildly excited. Then I saw that there was an open-source version of it, which is, le gasp, still being developed to this very day.

After downloading and playing it, and laughing at the bugs, I decided to sign up for their community forums, which just so happen to coincide with the one forum site that I always wanted to be a part of but never knew existed: SSC.

ANd here it is, 5:48 in the morning and I've got to be at work in a couple hours. Damn you, science fiction.

Anyway, now I'll actually introduce myself. I am b4ux1t3. (Yeah, it's a mineral. Yes, it's used to make aluminium. No, it holds no deeper meaning than that.)

I'll skip over the part about how I like video games and stuff, because that's. . .well, kinda obvious.

In fact, I'll just skip to sharing my totally unique science-fiction interests. My favorite Sci-Fi universe is Star Trek, my favorite movie is Serenity, favorite show is Doctor Who, Picard is better than Kirk, but Kirk's pretty amazing himself, and why does no one discuss who the best First Officer is? Favorie sci-fi book? Well, that kinda depends if you're talking about speculative sci-fi more or along the lines of  "high" or "pure" science fiction. In any case, I'm probably gonna have to go with The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, but that's mostly because that's the last book I read and it was really freaking good. (and it's literally sitting in front of me as I type this)

Star Wars is pretty kewl, I didn't mind the prequel movies, at least not as much as everyone else seems to. Firefly needs more seasons. Plz. I will sell my kidney if that would help fund it. 

Hey, look, I just wrote a bunch of stuff that is probably similar to something like 40% of everyone else on this forum. GO ME.

I think I'm going to go find some form of caffeine or something. Good morning, everyone!

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Welcome to SSC, amigo.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Welcome to the community mate 🙂 oh and btw, you're right on Picard and Firefly 😀

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Welcome aboard. And if you want to spend many more nights without sleeping, you might want to check "Pioneer", "Paragon", and "Frontier:First Encounters D3D (a.k.a Elite 3 Remake/Upgrade)" ), in the downloads section.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Welcome to the SSC b4ux1t3. Do check out the goodies to be found in the downloads section of the forum. You never know what you might find in there.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forum b4ux1t3.

Ah yes the first 3d spacesim has anyone ever played it.

As for myself in regards to space series it has to be Babylon5 for me apart from series 5 which was a bit rubbish or the re imagining of BSG. It would be nice to see more Firefly but where would they pick it up from as the film killed off a couple of the characters.

I would still go Kirk have you seen Shatner rendition of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody....Awesome

Big fan of Pratchett disk world books but never never read anything else by him.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Ah yes the first 3d spacesim has anyone ever played it.

On on "Plato"?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

On on "Plato"?

That's the one just wondered if one had ever tried playing it, believe this is the emulator for it but it's an online one  http://www.cyber1.org/index.asp

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Welcome to SSC b4ux1t3

Looks like you are going to be having a lot of late nights with all the new games coming soon and all the projects in the works. Great intro, and Picard is the best Captain 🙂

See in the forums.

ReplyQuote