Notifications
Clear all

How much space game elements are in the series?

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I am certainly impressed and stunned of the Mass Effect series as a First Person Shooter and Role Playing game, but I'd like to know if the series also contain classical space game elements like:

- Side Missions

- Exploration and side activities in space, like mining / economy

- Flying ships in missions and out of missions

Whatsoever, only because of the great FPS artwork,  I will surley get the hands on these series if I find a good package selling on some gaming site.

Thanks,

XenonS

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

IIRC the ship is move like a board game counter between systems although their are a number of side missions, you drive around a small empty planet surface and are usually attacked by some creature to gather resources in the first game. It was changed in the second game to a simpler versions where you just scan the planet.

Seem to recall you can sell stuff you find but only at certain places in the game.

Mass Effect does not play like an sandbox space trading game, it's more a linear game where you have a number of option to pursue at different points in the game.

Only one ship in the game, you can wander around it and talk to the crew but you have no control over it apart from as I said about moving the counter on the star map.

Should say that I have only played the first game so I don't know if anything changed in the 2nd and 3rd parts apart from the scanning of planets.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Pinback, thanks for the info, that's actually interesting enough for me to look further, also because I like good FPS games, and from what I saw in different videos, the gameplay is stunning also without these pure 'space game' elements.

Thanks,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
McAule
(@mcaule)
Master Chief Registered

Might be a bit different.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Love the design of the games with the late 1960, early 1970 scifi look, but I never took to the games myself. Got about half way through the first one and just got fed up with it.

Oddly enough I re-bought all the 360 special editions as they were going very cheap with the idea of having another go at it.

ReplyQuote