Notifications
Clear all

Mass Effect 2 is finally here!

Page 1 / 2

Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I've just finished installing the game and got through the intro. I won't give any of the story away, but so far the improvements over ME1 are immediately noticeable and I'm absolutely psyched about it. The graphics are obviously much improved, which is saying a lot as ME1's graphics were already quite nice. The controls are a bit streamlined, and there are a lot of small changes in terms of powers/abilities & character development. The best part by far however are the combat dynamics. The combat kicks major ass in this game. It's not like an RPG with combat thrown in as an afterthought, this is the real deal. Shooter/RPG, best of both worlds. Now, where you shoot the enemy on his body makes a difference. Head shots typically finish the weaker enemies. Leg shots affect mobility, arm shots affect their accuracy with their weapons, etc...Fantastic. Gameplay is very smooth now, you feel like you're controlling cut scenes in some of these battles.

What else...oh yeah, you get a much improved ship at your disposal. The Normandy is much bigger now, taking a walk from one end of the ship to the other takes a while and is truly like going on a tour at a museum. Every section has something cool to see or someone cool to talk to. The reactor core in engineering is massive and looks stunning.

I'll stop my pathetic fanboy rambling...for now. 😉 To all you guys who were thinking about getting this, or had it on your tentative list, stop depriving yourselves and pick this game up. It's a sure thing baby. A lot of websites are giving the game a 10/10, the bulk of them are in the 9.5 range. And there is no DRM for those who had issues with ME1. They've taken all the shortcomings and issues in ME1 and fixed all of them, leaving us with a damn near perfect game. Goodbye social life.

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

ME2 is out !!! YEAHHH !! WOOT !!!! 🙂

You're right about the "goodbye social life" !

Let the games begin !

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Can't say that Iam that bothered about it,still havent played the first one.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Will you need to have played ME1 to get into the story of ME2? And can you do anything with your ship besides walk around on it like combat?

Moving post to PC gaming 🙂

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

Nah D1, you won't need to have played part 1 to get into the story because the story kinda starts anew. There will be a lot of references to past events though, but you'll be able to pick up the pieces. There's a fully indexed codex, complete with audio & pictures, where you can read/listen to all the data regarding aliens, past events, technology, etc...like the encyclopedia from I-war 2, but with audio & pics.

As for your question about the Normandy, check this out:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffe ... os;title;2

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looks great but the normandy a bit on the empty side,no crew wandering around is

it like that playing the game. ❓

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

Nah you got a small crew in the beginning but the ship fills out as you wander the universe picking up teammates. I forgot to feed my fish and they died. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

Holy crap that was incredible. I've been sitting in front of this monitor for a week, maybe I should think about eating something now that I beat the game.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Lol i know the feeling man ! Incredible indeed !

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

is it really that good!!??

i borrowed the first one and played it half way through, then kinda give it a rest for a while, then firegor wanted it back so i didnt manage to finish.

the combat system was a bit pump at first but when the game warmed up it got better and better as your stats went up, and i was very excited about the planetary exploration bit with the vehicle but it kinda let me down because it was a tad simple. still i enjoyed searching for mineral deposits.

any changes to the planet exploration bit??

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

The vehicle's gone, now you scan the planet from orbit and land right on top of the smuggler's or whatever base on the planet's surface. The game is so cool because of the number of planets you can scan for anomalies or resources, all the game mechanics have been polished, not to mention the characters in your squad, particularly the one called "Miranda". If you look her up you'll know why hehe. Not to mention the graphics .... they're astonishing and that's what 99% of those that played the game say, not only me. Fact is, if you liked ME1, you'll love ME2.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

Yeah they did away with the vehicle this time for some reason, I don't get it. That was one of the more fun aspects of part 1. Still, if you look in the options you'll see that vehicle cotrols are still there so I'm guessing DLC. And yes indeed, Miranda is certainly...polished. 😉 Is it just me though, or over time do you find yourself developing a taste for the Asari??? I think I could ignore the tentacles on their heads...better yet just keep the lights off. i'm just sayin.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

It's just you 😀 I took Miranda with me on every mission throughout the game, she just made the whole experience .... better 😀 Wish I could give some Hi5s to whoever added this character to ME2.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Did u guys know that Miranda is made after this gal ... who also plays in a show called "Chuck" :

Speaking of which, I strongly suggest you watch the show 😉

ReplyQuote
Mogymog
(@mogymog)
Petty Officer Registered

I was thinking last night. You know be cool, if EA rented out the MA license to some third party, for making a WC style game of ME. Like, have it based during the First-Contact War. Or hell just a regular FPS based on a bunch of missions of the FCW. That would be awesome to play. Slaughtering Turians at every step! 😛

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

It wouldn't be awesome, it would be FREAKIN AMAZING lol 🙂 I can already see myself shooting everything that moves and having Miranda along side with me telling me how good I shoot 😆

ReplyQuote
Mogymog
(@mogymog)
Petty Officer Registered

SolCommand wrote:
It wouldn't be awesome, it would be FREAKIN AMAZING lol 🙂 I can already see myself shooting everything that moves and having Miranda along side with me telling me how good I shoot 😆

lol the FCW happened about 30+ years before ME2 runs. So even if she was alive, she'd be a small child. But it just be cool, to see how it happened, since as of Bioware has left that area a bit.. bland and malnurished.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Good news for those PS3 owners out there (ahem ME) and that Mass Effect 2 will be released on the PS3 in January 2011. And if the rumor is correct PS3 version will come with all released DLC for ME2. I'm really excited about this and getting all the DLC to boot that is great!

http://masseffect.bioware.com/

Doing a quick search on the DLC currently available for ME2 are the following:

Lair of the Shadow Broker (latest DLC)?

Firepower Pack

Overload

Aegis Pack

Equalizer Pack

Kasumi - Stolen Memory

Alternate Appearance Pack

Squad Picture Pack 1&2

Character Picture Pack

ReplyQuote
traker
(@traker)
Petty Officer Registered

Im going to have to finish the first one yet then will get the second.

Good to hear they didn't drop the ball on this.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I am playing the first one now and it is pretty good and definitely worth the $4.99 I paid when EA had that sale last month. Nice seeing ME2 coming to the PS3 and hopefully ME3 will get released on the PS3 when it comes out and not like a year later.

ReplyQuote
fourteentoone
(@fourteentoone)
Petty Officer Registered

Lair Of The Shadow Broker is out next week.

And ME2 is in my opinion the greatest sci-fi game out there, though to be honest, it's more like an interactive movie.

As epic as Avatar, but with a better script.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I watched that preview trailer for it and it looks amazing... hope this is included in the PS3 release in Jan.

[gametrailers] http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dlc-debut-mass-effect/703866 [/gametrailers]

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

I actually have a question (despite me being late on the scene, as always):

Does the ME series feature fighter space combat like WC? even if limited?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@ Starlord, no it doesn't I am afraid, but there is a small chase through a city in hover cars in the Shadow Broker add-on. That's about as close as it gets to controlled flight. There is also the Hammerhead craft which is part of the Cerberus add-on, but that is really a ground vehicle. Pretty cool though. Look at this thread for some pics, pioneer-f35/mining-t1449.html

I hope Mass Effect 3 can include proper controlled space flight as this would really add to the game.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Was just running Mass Effect 2 there on Steam. In the news that pops up there is info about a problem with save games on the PS3. Have a look here for more info http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /5776049/1

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2