Notifications
Clear all

Mass Effect 2 is finally here!

Page 2 / 2

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thanks for the heads up on this Geraldine. I just got my ME2 game yesterday in the mail for the PS3. So I will just wait until I see that fix to come out before starting my game. I was going to wait to play until I beat FF13 anyway 😉

I'm still a little irritated that EA/BioWare didn't put all the data on the disc, its a Blu-Ray... I still had to download 700mb of downloadable content when they could have put it on the disc. I hear its part of EA's way to stop re-sale of games by making people pay for content they should have to play the game.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

As I have said before EA have gone money mad this past while. They are not interested in making (first and foremost) enjoyable games anymore that you can treasure, just cash cows. Anyways, hope they release a patch for the PS3 soon because despite their fixation on $$$, Mass Effect 2 is still a damn fine game.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Basically what EA/BioWare did was you have the game for the PS3. Now to use that Cerebus Network you have to download some DLC which costs $14.99 and that includes that network and all of the DLC expansions (except the weapon, armor, cosmetic packs).

Now the PS3 owner doesn't need to pay for that Cerebus Network download because you have a coupon for a activation code for download so you get it for free. But the activation code I believe has an expiration date and then cannot be used to download the content anymore.

Which I see as a disservice to the owner of the game. I may play and beat the game but maybe a year from now I want to play again and if ME2 was removed from the HD because it takes up like 8GB I would have to re download and come to find out I would have to pay again for the content would be upsetting to me. So more than likely I will sell ME2 for the PS3 when I am done with it. Yeah I could have bought it on the PC but I have longed for a space themed game on my PS3 and this is the first one. Don't think Dead Space fits the bill there.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Darkone wrote:
Now the PS3 owner doesn't need to pay for that Cerebus Network download because you have a coupon for a activation code for download so you get it for free. But the activation code I believe has an expiration date and then cannot be used to download the content anymore.

That is really lame Darkone. An expiry date on the DLC? 🙁 I bought the X Box 360 GOTY Edition of Fallout 3 and Bethesda included all the addon packs in a separate disc in the case. That is the way it should be done. Saying that though I also bought Alan Wake and it too has an activation code for it's addon and guess who published the game? Micro$oft of course! 🙄

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

PS3 has download restrictions on everything really. If I remember correctly any download you purchase can be downloaded 5x I believe before you have to re-purchase it. Least that is the way it used to be. Sony does this because there is nothing stopping me from going to your house and put my id info on your PS3 and then downloading all my content to your PS3 and then deleting my user. So it is Sony's way of limiting pirating of their downloadable games/content.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Well I finally got around to playing Mass Effect 1 and I have to say That I have been totally unimpressed by this game so far. It appears to be nothing more than a glorified point and click adventurer game with a bolt on 3rd person action game. Still it early days with the game so it might get better.

I guess that I am in minority here judging by the other comment about the game but I just can’t see why everyone thinks it so great.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

What you say is true Pinback, but I did enjoy the story and the tactical elements you could employ during fire fights. The series really needs some space flight action in it though I reckon. Or even Zero G combat. That might be fun too.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I just started playing ME2 last night actually on the PS3 and so far I like it. Still getting used to playing it with a controller instead of keyboard/mouse. I really don't think BioWare games in general are cutting edge when it comes to gameplay mechanics. I play their games because they tell good stories, I will definitely take my time with ME2 and play it for many hours and complete all side quests.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Definitely would like to have more control over the ship as the whole space section is a bit pants, and i think they could have made a better job of the galactic map.

I like the Codex even if they did nick the idea from Megatraveller 2 just a bit of a shame they don’t have all the information in it at the start, as this wondering around looking for bits of information is a bit stupid.

The Citadel nice although it a bit on the empty side considering it supposed to have million of inhabitants.

Don’t like the interface according to the back of the box its been optimised for the PC. Suppose that’s means they added mouse support.

How the controls on the PS3 D1 any better than or worse then the PC.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

You know this game reminds me more and more of a Dungeon and Dragon game dressed up as a sci-fi game.

Mako a lot fun pity they removed it from the second one.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well Dragon Age is just Mass Effect with swords and bows instead of guns and magic instead of Element Zero. Gameplaywise they are similar.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I've not played any RPG game for a number of years now, just got fed up with the whole D&D Lord of the ring settings.

Mass Effect a good game its just that some how I was expecting it to be more than just dungeon crawl.

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Well Dragon Age is just Mass Effect with swords and bows instead of guns and magic instead of Element Zero. Gameplaywise they are similar.

I disagree a bit unless you are talking specifically about Dragon Age 2 on the console which I heard became a lot more action-oriented than Dragon Age: Origins on the PC was, which was more reminiscent of the good old Baldur's Gate titles.

On another note, I distinctly recall an interview with a BioWare rep from early 2009 where he was asked about space combat and he said that whilst they wouldn't add it into Mass Effect 2(As we all know) they were looking into including it in some form for Mass Effect 3.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2