Notifications
Clear all

Miner Wars video showing off physics and solar wind

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Here is the latest alpha video that shows off what Keen Software has been working on. You will get to see a little bit of the physics and a solar wind storm.

Couple comments I have on the video is that the physics seem a little off because when your shooting the pods they barely move but that ship moves more more easily. This isn't really a problem if the mass of the pods is more than the ship.

Outside of that, the solar wind storm was a nice effect and I absolutely love the dark feeling of space in Miner Wars. Would be neat to see after the solar wind passes by that asteroids or ships that survive are either cooling down from the heat or you see some sort of steam effect coming of them. The lens flare was nice effect to of the sun.

Darghan
(@darghan)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi Dark,

as you might notice the barrels move faster if shot by the minigun. Its only a matter of calculating thigs. In the future those barrels will move faster if shot by the dumbfire. I intended more or less to show that explosions and bullets interact with objects.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Understand totally, I know its still alpha and a lot more tweaks will be made to physics over the next few months. But my hats off to the dev team, I really do like the darkness of space with the debris/particles. The use of the star light against the asteroids which is great because depending on asteroid rotation/gravity you could have a base that is relatively undetectable unless you put your lights on 🙂

I would be interested to see if the engine would produce the right effect for the solar winds if you drilled a tunnel through an asteroid in the path of the solar wind. Would it go down the tunnel and out the other side? (something to try)

ReplyQuote
Darghan
(@darghan)
Petty Officer Registered

I was intrigued to try that one. Today me and Sol command tried it and not it doesnt enter the tunnel even if its in its way.

ReplyQuote
Darghan
(@darghan)
Petty Officer Registered

I was intrigued to try that one. Today me and Sol command tried it and not it doesnt enter the tunnel even if its in its way.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Damn, well it's a only a small issue. But it would really add to the realism of the storm 🙂 Be great for people to think there safe and then they yell ... 'oh sh*t' its coming down the tunnel 🙂 People would love it.

ReplyQuote
Darghan
(@darghan)
Petty Officer Registered

Well tbh with the solar wind were already pushing todays hw limits 🙂 another math routine would make it unplayable

ReplyQuote