Notifications
Clear all

Miner Wars

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

In Miner Wars the year is 2061 and the Earth's resources are limited and now looking to space for more raw resources. You start the game as Marco Polo and with your brother Mario Polo you researching asteriod fields looking for alien artifacts. You were jumped by the SPA (Space Peace Activists) and so starts the game.

What I like about Miner Wars at a glance is the destructable environment. You will be able to tunnel through or totally destroy all of the asteriods. Some of these asteriods can be up to 10km in size. And since the environment is persistant you could come back to the game and still see your work or maybe someone has added to it. There will be various weapons, ammo, drilling devices, spaceship equipment, factions and more.

And did I mention that the world is supposed to have unlimited size and billions of asteriods 🙂

Miner Wars is coming to the PC in the fall and Xbox360 a little after that. Wonder if this will come to the PS3?

Go and checkout what Keen Software House has been doing with Miner Wars here: http://www.minerwars.com

Here is what you will need to be able to play Miner Wars:

* CPU: 2.0 GHz

* RAM: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)

* Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 6 series or better, ATI Radeon R520 (X1300-X1950) or better, Intel GMA X3000 or better. Requires at least Pixel-Shader 3.0. More info

* Video Memory: 128 MB

* Hard Drive: 1 GB

* Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Vista

* DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

* Network: Active internet connection during installation and during game play!

Some in game screenshots:

MinerWars0009.jpg

MinerWars0020.jpg

MinerWars0028.jpg

MinerWars0025.jpg

MinerWars0032.jpg

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I will definitely be contacting the devs to see what info I can get out of them on this project because I like what they have done so far. I just like the whole descent feel of the tunnels 🙂

Moving this post to the correct area since I posted it in the general area when it should have been placed in the open source and indie area.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here are both of the videos from the site, watch them in HD they look really good.

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

I see you constantly wondering if game x or y will come to the PS3, and I just thought I'd give you an idea of why most don't.

A game you make for the PC can very easily be ported to the XB360 because it uses very similar architecture.

But, when it comes to the PS3, it uses a completely unique architecture, very hard to adapt to and port to, even for experienced devs, this is one of the reasons why Gabe Newell, head of Valve(One of the most respected PC developers of all time I might add) refuses to develop games for the PS3, and instead let other companies do the PS3 versions.

I think you can imagine, if making PS3 ports of PC games is such a pain in the ass for huge companies with several hundreds of people, how much harder it is for smaller independent devs that don't have nearly the same budget etc.

Note, I am by no means a PS3 hater, I own a PS3, but sadly end up buying most games on the 360 or PC since usually the PS3 port is the most inferior one.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Gargantou wrote:
I see you constantly wondering if game x or y will come to the PS3, and I just thought I'd give you an idea of why most don't.

Nothing wrong with hoping 🙂 Right now the PS3 has zero space combat games on it. There is a little bit extra work but could be very profitable for developers since the PSN has more subscribers than Xbox Live. Xbox live came out in 2002 and now has roughly 18mil subscribers, the PSN started in 2006 and has already surpassed Xbox Live.

But getting back on topic.... Miner Wars has a new video that you should checkout:

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I will be formulating some questions to ask the devs for a Q&A so if anyone in the community has something they want to ask just post it and it will be in there. The devs said SSC can have a Q&A so looking to send them by the end of the week.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Bas
 Bas
(@bas)
Petty Officer Registered

At least the gameplay video is quite...interesting. Always loved things like suprise attacks/rushes and/or hit and run. Unfortunally nearly no game use such things...what a pity.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looks really very good pity its an online game only,could also benefit from haveing the big

asteriods moving around a bit

ReplyQuote
Taymar
(@taymar)
Senior Chief Registered

This game had slipped off my radar, so thank you for reminding me about it.

I very much like the idea of a fully destructable universe/environment combined with masses of pew pew action, it's looking good and one I will be keeping an eye on.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

There is a few more threads in the Miner Wars section that have some more info. I know for a few months Keen Software was silent but it is nice they are awake again and starting up the marketing and hype engine 🙂

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Some random screens.

Everything is WORK IN PROGRESS.

20100408194947_211_screen5.jpg

20100408194909_211_screen2.jpg

20100408194850_211_screen1.jpg

20100408194922_211_screen3.jpg

20100408194935_211_screen4.jpg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Nice to see the details on the ship as you shine your ship light on it. On that last pic SolCommand is that a very large semi hollowed out asteroid? Thanks for the picks SolCommand that large ship model looks great. I take it all the different factions will have their own ship colors?

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

"Yes" to both questions 🙂 Now we're just placing/importing the ships in the game, then, at a later stage, we will add the final texture on them, now there's using something that could be called "basic texture".

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Been a while since we heard any from miner wars, I see on the forum that they have hit the One million Euros mark.

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=1762

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

They are trying to recruit more talent and the alpha build that you can play hasn't been updated in ages. The alpha build is more a tech demo because its not that playable really since it has 1-3 asteroids and some ships.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

In my opinion, no way will they make that date for a SP/MP game. I have been in the alpha for a year now and it hasn't changed all that much over that time. And from the last time I logged into the client there is no SP story that has yet to be running. I mean to have a solid game you need to have an economy, npc traffic and general stuff going on in the background. Miner Wars does have a nice concept for a game, but they need to get it done right and that will take some time. I guess next year sometime. I truly do think that the alpha demo was mainly to build hype for Keen Software to get funding. Now that they have the funding they will work on getting the game put together. But with there only being 8mo left until the new year I doubt they could product a 'quality' title that would be up to the communities standards. But I could be proven wrong. I am more of a person that would rather them release a good game and wait instead of sub-par game and get it in three more months.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Agreed. Right now the alpha even if it only one sector needs to have a legit npc traffic and pirates, combat needs to be a lot better, usable station for trade and upgrades and where is the leveling/reputation systems? They have a long way to go to make that SP game and I believe the funding Keen Software got will probably only finance the SP/MP development and not the MMO.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like Miner Wars was at E3 as well. Wonder if we will be getting any major announcements. ❓

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like Miner Wars is getting a long overdue update at the end of the month

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=1945

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I read that too and just forgot to post something on it. Some of their HD screenshots are nice but I think that is more art than in-game experiences. Because in the current alpha build it doesn't come close to looking that good unless they have been working hard to show off the abilities of the engine. I know some of the comments that I was reading they are definitely trying to use some DX10 abilities so we'll see. I am more interesting in what we are going to do in this game world and how the story fits into the game world?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I see some of the post on the Miner War forum have compared the screen shot to Decent.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

they have substantial funding and a big update is planned. I guess it will snowball after that

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

update apparently due on the 31st of august

ReplyQuote