Notifications
Clear all

Apples I Pad

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

I see yesterday in the news that Apple have launched there new I pad.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I'm not really that impressed, it's a glorified ipod touch with a bigger screen. I was hoping for larger storage ability or at the least a expansion slot to add more. You can only use things off the app store, I was really hoping the Ipad was going to have a scaled down version of OS X on it.

The price point of $499 is decent for the 8GB model and should do well. Hopefully that will drop the price of the smaller iPod Touch?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Anyone own one of these that can give their personal opinions on the gaming aspect of the Ipad? I have seen some mixed reviews on this that gaming isn't all that great on one. I know I have been waiting for more Android tablets to show up on the market myself. Plus with the other non-Apple tablets there seems to be more bells and whistles coming in these units over the present Ipad.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

My Dad has one. Everytime I go to see him he is glued to the screen playing Bejeweled. 😉

I would recommend any Android tablet over this(IPAD), something like the Archos 7 android or something. There are Emulator apps for all the old consoles on the android, although I stil dont understand how people can sell these emulators, the legality and all. But that doesn't stop google 😉

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

My Dad has one. Everytime I go to see him he is glued to the screen playing Bejeweled. 😉

I would recommend any Android tablet over this(IPAD), something like the Archos 7 android or something. There are Emulator apps for all the old consoles on the android, although I stil dont understand how people can sell these emulators, the legality and all. But that doesn't stop google 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I have been watching this tablet personally, http://www.notionink.in/ and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_tablet

Looks to be a great device and 1080p video and longer battery life, and its going to run Android as well.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Wow thats a really nice find.

The cheaper model looks like the one to go for I think.

Edit// Ah, it seems to be really good except for this:

Storage capacity : Flash memory,16 and 32 GB, expandable Micro-SD slot.

SD cards would be far too slow for a 1080 video, so thats rather gimmicky.

My Archos has a 500gb laptop hard-drive in it. Or it might be 320... I forget.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

The unit will have USB ports so you can hook any type of storage to it (thumbdrive or HD) for extra storage. But yeah SD cards on avg about 12-25mb/s which isn't too bad but you might have issues with 1080p, but 720p should be fine. But you could use a USB HD for that since you can get several hundred MB bandwidth via USB2.

But I cannot wait for Notion Ink to complete this thing, sounds like they are going into production this year as well. So we will probably see them in Q1 2011. Just when I get my tax return 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Thing is, if your going to have it just as a player connected to a TV with a USB hard-drive, there are much better and cheaper alternatives.

but its still better than the Ipad.

I have a player for just that, a Summvision Cyclone MKV player mk2 I believe it is. Plays some things better than my PC, which is saying a lot as I haven't seen many things that can beat a pc providing you have the correct software. It was 50£.

Quote:

But yeah SD cards on avg about 12-25mb/s

I'd be surprised to get a sustained rate like that for an SD card, maybe its just my readers but its my experience that they arent nowhere near as fast as made out to be. Most read/write ratings are based on a burst mode, which is different to sustained read/write.

But even taking that into consideration it could probably still stream compressed 720 videos from a card.

Any ideas if it can play the .mkv format? As that is the standard now for most HD files and I have yet to run into a hand-held player that can.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Yeah i'm mainly looking at android tablets for overall functionality. If you watch my posting times most of my posting doesn't happen until late at night and thats just because of all the family stuff. If I had a tablet I could least check more often and do other things like read some manuals etc... The videos, gaming and music are extra for me. But I would like the ability to watch some netflix via the tablet.

On the SD card functionality you are probably right because those figures are manufactures ratings and it is probably 50% lower. I just like the fact there is at least more storage options than the iPad. This is a android tablet so if there is app or program that will work on android os that supports mkv then I would say yes. But I think the more fine detail specs will come out once they hit production units which should be this year.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

So are you going to get it?(The Adam Tablet) Seems worth its money to me.

If I didn't have my archos, I would lap this up right away. But since I have that, I cant justify 200 quid on something just to play games or run a few extra apps 🙂

A shame you cant upgrade these media-pad thingies.... I could install some ram and download Android and be sorted for another few years.....

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I'm keeping my eye out for other tablets and will re-evaluate when I know a definite release date for the Adam. But right now this tablet has the most to offer for the price point that is being kicked around so far.

ReplyQuote
Rith
 Rith
(@rith)
Senior Chief Registered

For $499 I can build a nice slightly lower-medium tier gaming computer with 4gb RAM, 500gb hard drive, quad core processor and etc... I could install win7 for games and Linux beside it; In addition to editing Linux to make it do whatever I wanted.

My point is that for the same price as the iPad, I can get something else that does more of what I'd actually use it for.

Of course I'd be anchored to a desk while doing what I'd use it for, but I'd be there knowing it was legally possible to build what device I was using from parts ordered from multiple vendors. 😆

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I wouldn't mind a tablet, but I am going to see what the market for tablets look like at the end of the year. I am leaning towards an Android device just because they usually have more options. But my main reason to get one is I really only spend maybe 3hrs a night on a PC if I am lucky. Just because I am watching kids and doing other things, and since my computer is in a isolated place I can't be on it all the time. The tablet would give me access to do the little things that I need to do like with SSC. But I would like to have a nice text editor on the tablet like Notepad++ if not I will probably get a leap laptop in the end. I do like however the battery life on the tablets in general.

I think next year will be interesting because Apple will have to really put out something good in Ipad 3 because I think the Android platforms will come on strong by the end of this year.

ReplyQuote