Notifications
Clear all

Battlestar Galactica Online

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

There isn't much info on this game only this trailer.

But trailers can always hype a game more than its worth. I don't really see where they might go with this? If it is a RPG style shooter it might work. But pure action open world type stuff I don't think so at all.

Here is the website for the game: http://www.bgo.bigpoint.com/

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Could be set during the cylon war before the colonies were destroyed,that way it could be a pvp game.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Possibly. But I try to think of what type of MMO it would be? To me it would have to obviously be faction based and faction missions to progress the battle for sectors of space and planets etc. But outside of that what would there be unless they let you duke it out on the planets in PvP?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well here is a bit more info on BGO and if you didn't know this will be a F2P browser based MMO. I will be very interested to see what type of gameplay we'll experience via browser.

Quote:

- BGO will feature 20 levels. Players will begin as either a human 'nugget' or as a recently created Cylon pilot mind. XP will be gained through the completion of tasks for a player's faction.

- There are two types of missions: Story and Assignments. From the information available, these missions are akin to plot and side quests found in other MMOs.

- Ship Class and Customization:

Each faction in Battlestar Galactica Online has several playable ship classes, divided into three 'tiers' by size (small, medium and large) and role (Offensive, Defensive and Command). Each ship class has a specific number of slots for Ship Systems, which are items that grant ships abilities and bonuses when installed. There are four general categories of ship systems (Weapon, Hull, Engine and Computer) and three sizes (small, medium and large). In addition, most systems have several levels of increasing in power and effectiveness. Characters begin the game with a small ship, but by collecting enough resources can requisition additional ships, and by earning enough XP can qualify to command larger vessels. Eventually, a character can own several ships of different classes. By allocating XP, characters can train the skills required to use additional types and higher levels of ship systems, which can be requisitioned with resources. Battlestar Galactica Online is designed to promote flexibility and freedom of choice for its players and will not forced players into flying particular types or sizes of ship, but there will be advantages for certain types of ships depending on the quest and gameplay situation.

Some newer pics:

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Certainly looks the part.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Just wondering how they going to pull off a browser game with graphics like this, unless it is a client download type game. Wonder if the combat is 2D or 3D?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Be a bit of a blow if it turns out to be a 2d shooter after seeing those pics.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Close beta signups have started.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered

Agreed, very good graphics for a browser game. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

ReplyQuote
Tamagoyaki
(@tamagoyaki)
Petty Officer Registered

My girlfriend just got into a Beta. Game looks really good and interesting.

Off course she's not playing a frakkin' toaster 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I got an email invite today as well. I will try to play a bit and people know about it, have to look at the NDA again to see what I can say 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Looks like BGO is going to star its Open Beta on Feb 8th. Haven't played this much because I didn't care for the controls maybe they have fixed it a bit since I have last played.

ReplyQuote
Dem
 Dem
(@dem)
Petty Officer Registered

goin on 2 hours in the open beta..All i can say is i been having some good fun,look me up in game. Dem

ReplyQuote
M0u53r
(@m0u53r)
Petty Officer Registered

Pretty good graphics, but no true cockpit view. I don't really care for the point and click UI. I'm not past the tutorial yet...does it get any better?

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Wow. Uh, Unity player is truly awful. I can't get it to work for the life of me. It took seven different refreshes and loads to get the tutorial to start, and now she's telling me to shoot a drone that isn't there....

...not a good first impression.

*EDIT* BAH!

I finished the tutorial, and made it back to the Galactica, but it froze up during the load, and I have to restart again. I'm sure its a fun game an' all, but I'm not impressed with Unity player at all. The game reminds me of an EVE/Freelancer mash up. Fun for the atmosphere, but for long term play? Hmm.

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

Yeah, I played it for an hour today, and it was kinda cool, but I think I made a wrong choice by piloting a human raptor.

ReplyQuote
charlatan
(@charlatan)
Petty Officer Registered

Don't blame Unity! Blame the game creators 🙂

There are plenty of good Unity powered games that work very well. What's that old phrase, "don't shoot the messenger"

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

This game is a fun time-waster. Been waiting for the precursor sound files to finish DLing, so Ive been having a crack at it. Unity still crashes regularly, but I like the different ships and roles one can take. The bigger ships look fun, and the community is family friendly and rather nice in general.

ReplyQuote
Digitalus
(@digitalus)
Senior Chief Registered

Which server are you guys on? Or did you already say and I, with glassy eyes, glossed right over it? 😆

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Im on the scorpio one, I really only play when I'm not doing something else.

ReplyQuote
deworf
(@deworf)
Crewman Registered

i really like it - definitely one of the better browser games. bigpoint is a good developer, though i don't like all the farmerama games and stuff.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Which server are you guys on? Or did you already say and I, with glassy eyes, glossed right over it?

Tauron but I do not log on very often.

ReplyQuote
Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered

Is the combat active or just this boring point and click style like eve? If i can't pilot my vessel by my own i don't think i will like it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Is the combat active or just this boring point and click style like eve? If i can't pilot my vessel by my own i don't think i will like it.

Active mouse controlled combat.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

I just tried the game for myself since I was a huge Battlestar Galactica fan but it didn't make an impression on me. I do agree that for a browser game it's very well made but there's something about it that I do not like and I can't put my finger on the culprit 🙂

ReplyQuote