Notifications
Clear all

Star Wars Combine

cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

First of all hello,i am an avid fan of space sims.I just bumped into this forum today,and i was shocked i wasn't aware of its existence by now.

I'd like to show you this little game:

The Star Wars Combine.

Taken from their site :

"The Star Wars Combine is an interactive online Star Wars simulation. People play the sim from diverse nations around the globe. The Star Wars Combine is 100% free of charge, and is a non-profit game.

In the Combine you will be allowed to create a character of your own with several different races to choose from. Upon character creation, you will have the option to join a group from a hefty list of candidates. Life in the Combine galaxy is just like stepping into George Lucas's epic Star Wars universe with the primary difference being that, in the Combine, there are none of the original Star Wars characters. No Luke Skywalker, no Leia Organa, no Mon Mothma, etc, etc. However, the setting and general plot are the same, the ongoing war between the Galactic Empire and Rebel Alliance."

This game is not only for the star wars fans.I'm not one of them myself :).You have ships,vehicles,planets and advanced technology,i think this is the setting for all space sims,more or less 😀

I like this simulator because it has so much potential,and is one of the most complex games out there (sorry guys,this is no walk in the park).

Every action takes real time,so no instant hyperspacing for example,and it can take days to arrive to the destination.

But do not despair,you can trade while traveling,and that is the favorite hobby of the members 🙂

Just have a look at the market to have an idea: market.centrepointstation.com

Another thing that i like about this game is that it is a community based game.You can freelance too but you can't have no interactions with other players.

And for that they use the ingame mail system,and the IRC.

Things you can do ingame:

Join a faction or a NFG group

Get a job

Buy/Sell

Build

Mine (it is done from a mine building on a planet,not from shooting asteroids with lazers 😀 )

Prospect

And the best thing or the worst is the game isn't finished yet 😀

Just imagine how many new things they will implement in future.

Combat isn't out yet,you need to be smart to kill someone here,if you have these thoughts that is.

What can i say more

The link of the game:

http://www.swcombine.com

guide

http://www.swcombine.com/guide/

everything you want to know about the game

http://rules.swcombine.com/

If you are interested in this game and need help starting out you can PM me.

Otherwise i think this is a game that you as a space sim fan should not miss.

Thanks for reading

Cultist.

PS: I'm in no way affiliated to this game,i do this out of love 😉

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Thats a very interesting game,looked at some of the vids for it on youtube,big question is how did

get past lucas's lawyers. ❓

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

they obtain no profits from this game,i think that is the reason that lucas didn't shut them down

if they do i hope they adapt the engine of this game to an original sci fi idea.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

cultist wrote:
First of all hello,i am an avid fan of space sims.I just bumped into this forum today,and i was shocked i wasn't aware of its existence by now.

Welcome Cultist. I try to get SSC's name out there but no budget for advertising :(. I mainly concentrate on building great content that google/yahoo index and hope that brings the masses, and of course word of mouth from the great people here 🙂

On Star Wars Combine, this does look interesting and I will add this to my large link list of games. It looks like it isn't a stale game because there is over 300 people online and the details look good on this. I just wish I had the time to dedicate to this one. I would have to agree with your assessment on why Lucas hasn't brought the hammer down on them and it is because it is totally free project. Great find!

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

its a great game but very complex.

if you like complexity in a game you shouldnt miss this one

ReplyQuote
Sirian
(@sirian)
Crewman Registered

Well, i tried to get in, but the game is not really welcoming for new players, to say the least.

I hope that once i get to the other side of the steep learning curve, there will be more than hours of real time travel (I'm not too fond of real time in browser games, tends to get tedious).

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

what is your handle Sirian?

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

The game got some updates,improving the looks and how it handles.

And the community got friendlier also 🙂

Basically any faction provides training so you won't feel lost for long.

I also found more video tutorials this time made by a fellow combiner:

(do not join Ailon Nova Guard though 😀 )

http://www.youtube.com/user/TServilius# ... f8q6-8q9ig

http://www.youtube.com/user/TServilius# ... xt08syYlO4

http://www.youtube.com/user/TServilius# ... gspdn97mBE

If you decide to join this wonderful free game i recommend you choose either Falleen or Chiss as a starting race,or Coruscani.

Leadership is the most important skill in the game right now,followed by Computer Operations so be sure to have at least 5 points in Leadership and 4 in CO.

And please leave me a pm if you joined, ill do my best to help you,no matter what faction you join.

Yours truly,

Cultist

ReplyQuote
ElyasMachera
(@elyasmachera)
Crewman Registered

I have played this game on and off for about 10 years and it is interesting though your a bit limited to what you can do on your own and its basically real life speeds to get places can get a little boring. Still fun if your a Star Wars fan.

ReplyQuote
Rith
 Rith
(@rith)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks interesting. I'm waiting for my handle to be approved.

ReplyQuote
TranZen
(@tranzen)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks for the information cultist. It does look like a very interesting game. How is the combat progressing?

Looking at the website I noticed various additions due in 2009, I assume updates are implemented regularly?

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Indeed updates are weekly 😀

Combat is still a no go but this actually makes users use their heads to eliminate an enemy due to the rules of arrest.One can only trap another hostile if he is in his jurisdiction,basically it all goes down to how you can lure the enemy on your turf 😉

Other devious methods are still available and i will let you discover them.

Can you guys PM me your handles from SWC if you play it that is?

ReplyQuote
TranZen
(@tranzen)
Petty Officer Registered

That's great, thanks for the heads up I will be playing.. I'm not a Star Wars fan (Star Trek is No1 for me) but SWC really does look awesome! 🙂

It's likely to be a short while before I sign up and play, I like to read up in-depth on games before I get started. What I would like to know, just me wondering, is SWC a 'multi-nation' global game, are the core game devs from different countries or just one, the US? I have noticed in the videos there's around a couple of hundred players or so online, is this an average at any given time or are there really busy periods to be on playing, or avoid? With such a vast game universe does it mean the chances of coming across other players is unlikely, or does the role playing element mean people meet up for interaction between characters?

Sorry for all the questions, I need answers!

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Around the world 😀

Players play around the clock, all factions have international members.The developers are the same 😀

Just grab mIRC , connect to irc.swc-irc.com join #swc-members and start asking questions but i warn you, the community is pretty tough so don't expect a warm welcome.

BTW i don't care about star wars but i love this game for what it does.

ReplyQuote
TranZen
(@tranzen)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks 😎

Been having a read on the website doh missed the page about the dev team, all around the world! 😀

http://www.swcombine.com/contacts/team.php

I'll check out the FAQ and forums next. There's a lot to take in, SWC does so much, I love it!

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

So,you are in?

If you are i would love to know your handle.

I can help you with stuff other than advices ingame 😉

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I liked the idea of the game, but it has absolutely ZERO attraction for me.

First off, what is a game without conflict? Without any semblence of a combat system, I fail to see the point of doing anything. Oh there is this big war going on? Really. Tell me all about it. /sarcasm.

Second, travel times. Yeah, it takes a RL week to get to ANYWHERE useful. Whoo. Fun. Then, once you get there, finding out where to go can be a real pain.

AFAICT this is one big .. .trading game? Whats the point of joining a clan.. roleplay? I mean...

Oh, and before you can say 'combat is coming' I will have you know they have been saying that since I first looked at the game a year and a half ago.

I guess I just don't see the attraction. It DOES however have a great community, and an absolutely stellar base program. Its got the makings of something great, and alot of love has been put into it. I'm waiting for them to go somewhere with it now. 🙂

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

First of all this is a trading, building and a political simulation my friend.

It begun from a roleplaying forum and outgrown its condition.And it will become much more in time with the implementation of research first and combat later.If you ask me the game is good so far, it makes you think for a bit rather then just fire a missile, kill some newb, say "i did it for the lulz man" and go into hyperspace like a big hero that you are.Yes there is a war and it is territorial, it is very strategic and it requires some thinking afaik.

All in all it is a browser game, it is free, and it gives more options than any other space browser game out there.It only lacks one thing, graphics.

Really.

And you lack another thing, patience.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Bah! Patience is far overrated when it comes to my free time. I demand instant satisfaction!

Interesting that it started out as a roleplay. I roleplayed a bit in my time. Never saw any in combine however. Probably didn't look in the right places.

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

*hint* Take a look in the forum.There is a section called [RPG Centre].*/hint*

Everything that is in character is actually roleplaying 😀

That means that any trading you do, any assignment you are given etc is you roleplaying your character.

And there are the scenarios in which you can participate, based only on your character -meaning that if you are human in character you cannot play a yam`rii for example, and upon ending such scenarios rewards are given to good stories, xp or cp's.

Scenarios are given a separated forum, because of their importance and this is where the players create legends or make a more compelling character background, or simply write a novel about them 😛

I'm not much into it, i stick with trading, building and sometimes killing others.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Direwolf
(@direwolf)
Crewman Registered

I played this in 2009 with two friends of mine. Still no combat, eh? Lol. Anyways, we found it interesting, but the real time system got a bit boring. Also, even starting in 2009, we got the feeling that we were so far behind the "vets" that it would be impossible to catch up. ESP in certain areas of the game.

ReplyQuote