Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 10 / 17

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Press release:

Hello, Sean Murray from Hello Games here, working extremely hard on our game, No Man’s Sky.

The game really has come together, and it’s such an incredible relief. As we sit an play it now, and as I watch playtesters every day, I can finally let myself get excited. We’re actually doing this.

However, as we approached our final deadlines, we realized that some key moments needed extra polish to bring them up to our standards. I have had to make the tough choice to delay the game for a few weeks to allow us to deliver something special.

After a short delay, No Man’s Sky will launch in North America on August 9, in Europe August 10, and in the UK August 12.

We understand that this news is disappointing. Making this game is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, but we are so close now, and we’re prepared to make the tough choices to get it right.

The universe of No Man’s Sky is incredibly vast. More than you can imagine. This is a type of game that hasn’t been attempted before, by a smaller team than anyone would expect, under an intense amount of expectation.

And despite all of that, development is genuinely going well. This is the hardest working, most talented team I’ve ever worked with, and I’m so proud of what we’re doing. For all our sakes though, we get one shot to make this game and we can’t mess it up.

To the loyal community who’s stuck by our side since the unveiling of No Man’s Sky years ago, we hope you’ll accept our sincere apology and I am humbly asking that you’ll still look forward to exploring our universe despite the slight delay.

Thank you so much,

Sean

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

Don't know what you have linked to MV2000?

Link fixed, it seemed the formatting got derped when I posted it.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

What is wrong with people on internet? Death threats and abusive language?

Really, grow up you bunch of child men. It only a game crying out load!!

PS - Not directed to anyone here. Just read the article and one of links to the twitter and reddit site.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

What is wrong with people on internet?

<chortles> Now there's a question...

[rant snipped]

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Yes Murry has said he has been sent death threats on facebook or twitter because of the delay.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Personally I can't imagine what kind of horror the internet will create should the game bombed upon release/doesn't meet the already absurd expectation.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Like a kindergarden with no cop, erm nanny, at feeding time ?

As Sean M. is no David B., I have fate things will be just fine. 

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Perhaps this is the reason it got delayed to August all along?

http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/06/18/no-mans-sky-developer-settles-lawsuit-with-sky-tv

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

Perhaps this is the reason it got delayed to August all along?

http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/06/18/no-mans-sky-developer-settles-lawsuit-with-sky-tv

Oh shit.

Maybe I should legally deposit the words 'Star' and 'Space' and then I can take stop working haha

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Sky own the word Sky? <scratches head> It's a funny old game, Saint!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

No one should be able to 'own' a common word like sky, space or whatever our society is filled with whiny people looking for money. Just imagine all of the tech or games that could have been released if fear of litigation didn't stop them.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Its is beyond belief how much litigious rubbish like this there is around these days. Besides, they could have always called it No Man's Skies. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Nothing would have been tested in a court - to do so would probably have bankrupted the developer, anyway - but it positions Sky TV up there in the global multimedia world as a menacing presence and keeps everybody nervous: anyone who was considering actually infringing on Sky's patch will know that they would have a fight on their hands. It's the corporate equivalent of dragging a branch and hooting.

Cheers, Big D... I now have this ghastly mental image of Rupert Murdoch dragging a branch through the undergrowth and hooting!

[David Attenborough voice]Meanwhile, behind a bush, Wendi Deng and Tony Blair ... [/David Attenborough voice]

<sniggers> The more I see of corporate lawyers, the more I think of the B-Ark - if only!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

WTF!!!! .... Don't worry guys. Australia will invade New Zealand soon and end this stupidity. We will rename them to Foxtel Sky. ;P

Edit: Oh it a UK company ... Ok we will kick there arses in Cricket for you. LOL

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Brockian Ultra Cricket?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

*Add's "Sky" to list of personal boycotted targets.*

"Hello Games has not revealed whether it paid Sky to settle the lawsuit."

Mmm, yea. Like Sky did not try to milk it right down to the last possible drop.

Technically ... getting NMS could/would support the Sky action, ... still pondering about that one.

--- +++ ---

Only have read the start so far, but do think its interesting (for some, not game related):  https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Owning_the_Intangible/Trademarks_on_Common_Words

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

After 4 years in development, Sean Murray has announced that NMS is now officially "Gold"!
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/751141699880095745

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

It's also at the top of Amazons most wanted games releases list, which is pretty good going when you consider the games is up against some of the big major franchise.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Yeah, such 'wanted lists' is a premiere for a space game. Not even Elite 1 had this success rate in the 90s (but the competition was a lot meager compared to now).

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New video up.

Also Attack of the fanboy site http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/no-mans-skys-file-size-is-only-6gb-devs-working-on-first-update-patch/ says the game is only a 6Gb and Hello games are already working on update 1.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

New trailer due thursday!

Fight trailer.

You can check the reddit and see it in advance. It showed more space combat, which was nice. I also saw a 'mission objective' screen in the corner, so thats nice. OH! and uh.. crystal asteroids!

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

....extremely lame and uninspiring

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Do you mean the combat?

ABSOLUTELY.

Its very clear to me that they didn't give the combat much of a focus. It feels like an afterthought. There is little to no 'punch' to the weapons or sounds or the things that make combat visceral. Look at the new Doom 2016, or Freespace 2 for examples of what I mean.

On the other hand, Morrowind is widely considered to be one of the best Elder Scrolls games, and its combat was pretty terrible. (Or.. more of a dice roll, which went against our conceptions of good rpg combat at the time.) I think it comes down to Focus. NMS is focused on exploration and 'water-cooler' stories. The combat is just a tool at your disposal. A minor mechanic to the joy of wandering around 18 quintillion planets and trading in space.

What I mean to say is that if you are coming to this game for the combat, you will be dissapointed. However, I prefer to look at the game in its entirety, and embrace it for what it is, as opposed to what I want it to be.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

No update as of yet of if there exists a third person ship chase cam option?

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

No sir, they are considering adding it after release. Shaun talked about it in a video. Basically they couldnt do it well enough that they liked it. They said if enough people request it, it will be part of a free update. 

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 17