Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 11 / 17

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

Nice to see a quest in action 😎

As for combat difficulty, I hope there will be different DIFFICULTY LEVELS for FPS and space battles, although combat in space is surely not rendered 'realistically' if there is such a thing... Well, it's not like Evochron where you really need Newtonian physics and plenty of HUD infos, and manoeuvres to succeed. It's an arcade style, but that shouldn't mean it's uninteresting, at least from what I saw.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

No update as of yet of if there exists a third person ship chase cam option?

Yes there is. At least, I saw it very shortly in one of the videos.

[edit]

Probably outdated.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

OH NO.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/no-man-s-sky-dutch-based-company-claims-hello-games-used-patented-superformula-to-create-game-3441600

Patent infringement?

Could be serious, hopefully not so. This is the only game I am looking forward to. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

No sir, they are considering adding it after release. Shaun talked about it in a video. Basically they couldnt do it well enough that they liked it. They said if enough people request it, it will be part of a free update. 

Yes there is. At least, I saw it very shortly in one of the videos.

[edit]

Probably outdated.

XenonS

Thanks! Time to play the waiting game then. ,)

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

O dear. A other bump in the NMS road. But in this case it seems HG can only blame them self.

If this is true (*and I think it is*) Genicap:“We tried to contact them but didn’t get any response,” HG dropped the ball at that point.

Currently the Genicap superformula is allready used in a free available peace of software. 

https://www.indicia.nl/project/genicap-3d-solutions/ ( Dutch language only, as far as I could see.)

- Which makes it a bit more credible in my view that Genicap is not 'just' going for the potential money. (a rare thing I think, but still a possible possibility.)

Just in case, the Genicap url is http://genicap.com/

- Includes plenty of information about this superformula thing.

Guess the ball is in HG's and Sony's hands now, ... (with Sony's reaction being the biggest worry I think.)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Firefox is blocking the link for the www.indica some thing about wrong certificates.

As for this Genicap I can help but think their timing is a bit suspect as they seem to have just popped up when the game is about to be released.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Brrr... Trademarks and copyright regulations involving mathematical formulas or algorithms are very complicated and therefore should give many escape routes or arguments. Thats bad for the scheduled release date. If the devs have all coded from A-Z by their own then they should do all possible to credibly prove it, else they will have to take a license, but here also: there will be a lot to check out to see if this is not a so called "Trademark Trolling" which nowadays is a way to scam. There is a lot of money at stakes.

Sounds like a precision work for lawyers, and I don't like the idea that Murray & Co. aka HG could possiblly be robbed by some nafty percentages...

XenonS

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Something to watch while you wait.

Offline info as well.

*EDIT* ....nope still cant remember how to post videos. Silly IP.Board

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Firefox is blocking the link for the www.indica some thing about wrong certificates.

As for this Genicap I can help but think their timing is a bit suspect as they seem to have just popped up when the game is about to be released.

Wrong certificate: bummer (using Chrome-only on this side). The certificate seems to come from Avast, and is not outdated/expired. Other than that I'm at a loss at what might trigger it to fail.

Genicap timing: What point would you pick. If you already tried to make contact with HG, but did not get a response back (cq: possible ignored) ?

- - -

videos:

1) Special BBCode (3e icon from the left in the top bar),

2) "media" + paste url,

and ...

3) using correct url ("www.youtube.com/watch?v=..." instead of a redirect link like "youtu.be/..." ).

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Digging around a bit more ... I think the following page puts things in a more proper perspective.

http://techraptor.net/content/professor-alleges-no-mans-sky-uses-patented-superformula ( July 20, 2016)

Alternative patent link https://www.google.com/patents/US20050140678

- - -

Might as well add this video:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxDPgnBGns[/media]

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Another trailer

At this point they'd better borrow Egosoft X series' motto already. Trade Build Explore Fight, Think may be the name of the next trailer I guess

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Eurogamer has a good write up with whats been going on http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-21-why-no-mans-sky-fans-are-worried-about-a-patented-superformula

Does not look like it will be stopping the release of the game as I noticed on the subReddit that claims are being made for both the testing of the game on Steam and that an indie game shop have received physical copies of the game for the PS4.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Murray been on Twitter yesterday to say the game does not use their formula.  https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/756889227095318528

Also read that you can pre order the soundtrack on ITunes, one for the dedicated fans. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well that is good news Pinback, goodness knows the game has been delayed enough as it is.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

"Murray saying the game does not use their formula." ... has a odd hollow ring to me.

At least the "We're(Murray/HG & Gielis/Genicap) going to meet and chat maths once the game is out" looks confirmed. Which is good to hear.

We've(Eurogamer) now gone back to Genicap, and Jeroen Sparrow, ..., told Eurogamer "Yesterday Sean Murray invited us for a cup of coffee at Hello Games in order for him to clarify things. We will certainly do that."
(Ref: Last (25/7/16) update to that eurogamer - NMS ... superformula article.)

This might be the last news on this subject for some time, although I do hope to hear some more details on this in the future.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-pc-release-date-may-have-been-pushed-back-very-slightly/

GG Sony for indirectly giving yet another delay for the PC version. At least PC gamers will have opportunity to see whether it's dead on arrival or not.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

New(s) to me ... It seems you can feed the animals.

(Other than with yourself of course. 🙂 )

Ref: YouTube, "No Man's Sky Gamer", "No Man's Sky New Videos and Pictures - Japan Event #NoMansSky"

- video consists mainly of camera-still's taken from the Japan event.

- Not mentioned at "NMS Information Repository" ... yet.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

New(s) to me ... It seems you can feed the animals.

(Other than with yourself of course. 🙂 )

Ah, feeding animals. Well, transforming parts of a planet in an agricultural zone, me as a Cowboy with some land to harvest and domestic or working animals...That would be a nice story for a later game update

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Survive trailer.

As there is animals in the game will be be seeing any simple zoological missions along the lines of say  "collect 5 predators from a water world".

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

The videos are cool and all, but I hope they will do proper guide videos after the game is out. For example what sort of suit would you need to survive in a high rad environment or are there any medicines ect you should have with you to treat yourself with like with the Fallout games.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

The videos are cool and all, but I hope they will do proper guide videos after the game is out. For example what sort of suit would you need to survive in a high rad environment or are there any medicines ect you should have with you to treat yourself with like with the Fallout games.

I remember reading a article which state that you will need to experiment on crafting to find out what can be built. Very similar to Minecraft. But don't quote me on it.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

In that case I had better be prepared to die a lot then. The situation reminds me of a very old game called Robinson's Requiem. This was a survival game way back in the mid 90s and it had crafting, treating wounds and infections that your character could die of if you were not careful.

Here is a VERY OLD intro of that game.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Optimistically, I give myself 15 minutes real-time and then die the first time when I start this game. I expect survival to be very tricky and difficult, except when I'm so lucky to start in a 'Goldilock Zone', say near to the sun on a habitable planet. Else, I will have to hurry up getting familiar with the Item menu and collect or build things to protect myself before exploring all the wonders of that universe 🙂

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Some idiot has bought a copy of the game for 1 or 2 grand depending on which site you read just so they have it two weeks early and Murray being on Twitter asking for people to take a break from speculating about the game so they can enjoy it.   http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/07/29/no-mans-sky-footage-is-out-there-but-hello-games-wants-you-to-avoid-it.aspx

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Not sure if this video was posted here already.

Nice quick roundup video. (I know, most around here, if not all, already know this stuff.)

Gameranx - No Man's Sky: 10 Things You NEED TO KNOW

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUp_MBEU-U[/media]

Cobra tv - A closer look at: EXPLORE, FIGHT, TRADE, SURVIVE ... trailer. (roundup)

---

First thing to do in the game ... Find and check what's lethal, just to get the hang of it.

(Better learn now than later. 🙂 )

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 17