Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 13 / 17

MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

As I've expected, I'm blaming Sony for intentionally sabotaging the PC port.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

"Jim Sterling’s Website DDOS’d For Giving No Man’s Sky 5/10 and Calling it Mediocre"

Tisk tisk. What's next, hunting down an prosecuting, or perhaps even unconditionally decapitating, those that do not agree with your point of view.

Sorry for that little personal wold's affairs related rant. Action like that just tick me off, and I call them as how I see them.

Back to NMS, they do seem to have overplayed there hand. But its might still be a bit early.

Review in question.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

I have not read that many reviews, but this one seems fairly balanced. Its not trying to be overly critical, nor optimistic.

Metro - No Man’s Sky review – where no one has gone before

All in all, I definitely hold off until NMS patch number 2 is out.

Nice additional read. Hype train related.

Metro - No Man’s Sky and the management of hype

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

All in all, I definitely hold off until NMS patch number 2 is out.

Same here, given the problems they are having with it, I might even wait until next year as i intend to upgrade the computer and I think I'm just under the low end specs for this with the current machine.

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

After watching Streams , reading Reviews en masse´ i have come to the conclusion that this is not for me.

Let me specify :

- Repetetive and uninspiring "hunt the ressources to exchange them for upgrades or fill up your ship/lifesupport" - gameplay

- after seeing the World Generation in action i have to say there is way to few variation , no really "unique" planets,flora and fauna and buildings...all generation is drawing from the same limited pool of parts , no possibility to get stuck because theres a lack of resources on a planet

- no real feeling of a living universe , because after a time you recognize that all events are just happening in a bubble around the player and are just scripted events

- no ability to really backtrack where you came from, limited maptools , limited species catalogue tools

- zero persistence , e.g. a monolith you mined in a specific form will just be gone and replaced if you ever return to that planet

- limited interaction with the few "intelligent" species

- no interconnected trade between stations and systems

- no physics of any kind except in walking mode some limited gravity , e.g. a tree or a rock wont fall over but you fall down...

- absolutely zero possibility to be creative (no building bases/ships) other what upgrade to install on your tool/ship/suit , you cant even recolour your ship

- flying the ship is a joke , feels like a "on-rails-shooter" , you cant even crash in the ground , landing is pressing a button , no physics of any kind involved, no skill needed

- space fights are basically shoot´em up in 3d with zero skill required other then to aim and press fire

They wanted to make a exploration game , yet they hinder the exploration part with tacked on and uninspiring survival timesinks and inadequate tools for exploration and catalogueing.

I am not going to much bring up the technical bugs and flaws this game has on both PS4 and PC, other to say that the graphics are not good (especially the washed out and blurry textures) , stuttering , popping in of parts , limited FOV and FPS (on PS)... or the awkward controls (especially on PC)...

Looking back at all the media attention this game got and the massive hype it created , i can only compare this to SPORE-levels of fail and hype.This game gets the "OVERHYPED GAME OF THE YEAR" award by me, regardless of whats to come till the end of the year.

This thing is sold at 60 EUR , AAA price ... for a piece of software (id rather call it a tech-demo then a game) ...should have been marketed as a 10 bucks indie-game that it really is...

My personal thoughts are that part of the gamers that speculated like "this will be better then Elite or EVE or (insert random space game here)" are the ones that are in a big way responsible for the hype , that the game could NEVER fulfill...and that SONY and Hello Games are responsible to make use of the Hype and cashing in on a FANTASY.No wonder there were no review copies send out to anyone....the hypetrain could have been stopped by responsible-acting journalists and critics...

EDIT: Rather harsh-sounding first appearance in this forum , i know.... 😀 been lurking here for years 😉

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

you cant even crash in the ground

What does it means? If i'm flying in the atmosfere and i pull down the nose of my ship against the ground i can't suicide? Can i fly in the atmosfere to explore the planet from the above?

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

What does it means? If i'm flying in the atmosfere and i pull down the nose of my ship against the ground i can't suicide? Can i fly in the atmosfere to explore the planet from the above?

literally what it says you cant hit the ground if you deliberatly try , ship steers automatically away....

of course you can survey the planet while flying , but the pop-ins and stutter get even worse then , and you cant really see where you land...some got landed on the top of trees/plants/rocks and while climbing out fall down and receive damage , because the landing is a automated process...

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

- no physics of any kind except in walking mode some limited gravity , e.g. a tree or a rock wont fall over but you fall down...

- absolutely zero possibility to be creative (no building bases/ships) other what upgrade to install on your tool/ship/suit , you cant even recolour your ship

- flying the ship is a joke , feels like a "on-rails-shooter" , you cant even crash in the ground , landing is pressing a button , no physics of any kind involved, no skill needed

- space fights are basically shoot´em up in 3d with zero skill required other then to aim and press fire

IMO NMS isn't shitty due to its being as arcadey as your average mobile space sim arcade. It's because of the dev failing at literally everything else, starting from the awful, cryptic PR and hype management part, incapable of making the game actually enjoyable/not a borefest in long term and so on.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

24 hours or so after the games release and Steams in meltdown, so far nearly 25 thousand reviews of the game with the for, just ahead on 15 thousand and against,10 thousand.

Just seen this RPS https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/13/no-mans-sky-is-steams-biggest-release-of-2016/#more-389935 that the game is Steams biggest release sofar this year.

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

24 hours or so after the games release and Steams in meltdown, so far nearly 25 thousand reviews of the game with the for, just ahead on 15 thousand and against,10 thousand.

Just seen this RPS https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/13/no-mans-sky-is-steams-biggest-release-of-2016/#more-389935 that the game is Steams biggest release sofar this year.

problem is most reviews on steam dont go into detail and complain either just about tech problems or are just"i like it " "good game" -post...neither helpful nor meaningful ... go watch some lets plays , read a few reviews (of sites you trust)...steam reviews is a mess , really well thought out and written reviews get buried under a mountain of ****...

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Most user reviews on GoG.com complain about poor game performance with the PC version, although some people have succeeded to bypass the problems by editing the config files. I guess advanced users can get the game run with decent FPS by doing so. The game play video shown in this forum (other topic) shows an interesting gameplay with no stuttering whatsoever.

Looks like there is a big price difference: the PS4 version is about 20$ more expensive, at least in the European stores compared to the PC version on the net.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Any reviews are never a good indicator of what a game is like, Steam has a page up of workarounds for the most common faults http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672304896849605/ which may help some users.

They also have an experimental branch for people to try but it only of use to Steam buyers of the game.

Lot's of finger on the Steam forum are pointing at openGL 4.5, looks like I may be out of luck as Steam says my openGL is 4.2.

What games need are demos released about a month before the main release of the game, developers will get feedback about any problems and buyers will get a chance to see if they want to buy the game and if they can run it on their computer.

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

What games need are demos released about a month before the main release of the game, developers will get feedback about any problems and buyers will get a chance to see if they want to buy the game and if they can run it on their computer.

Or honest publishers that send out review copies for the critics....like i wrote above..

they KNEW the game had flaws and was boring , thats why they were so cryptic about it in the previews and nobody got to play it beforehand...

just a cash-in with a buzzed ttile....congratulations sony and hello for selling a at most mediocre indie-game worth 15 bucks for 60....

cant wait for TotalBiscuit to take it apart...

#STOPPREORDERINGVIDEOGAMES

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

of course you can survey the planet while flying , but the pop-ins and stutter get even worse then , and you cant really see where you land...some got landed on the top of trees/plants/rocks and while climbing out fall down and receive damage , because the landing is a automated process...

They will fix this kind of problems, the game as been released two days ago!

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

They will fix this kind of problems, the game as been released two days ago!

Stutters and low FPS they can fix , but the pop-ins are a problem of the graphics engine that isnt easily fixed , also the upscaled textures arent easily fixed.

The whole game on PC is a quick conversion from PS4 , easily noticeable in the menu and awkward mouse control .

i dont think the can fix that with a few patches , this would mean a hefty rewrite of the engine.The whole game is only a 2.6 gb download , tells me that there are many procedurally generated textures or low quality textures, saves space but doesnt look good.

in its current state (minus performance problems) , this is at maximum BETA-quality game .its like i said before more of a techdemo of procedural generation then a game... if they have to patch in half the game later either they came out to early or they werent even sure about gameplay and just tacked on general grind and timesink-mechanics.

example of shallowness in NMS: ships are exactly performing the same , regardless of looks,price....the ONLY difference is the amount of slots its has for shared inventory and upgrades.thats the EXACT definition of SHALLOW. you cant imagine something less shallower and lazy implemented. why have differnet shiptypes then? just for looks?

THE WHOLE "GAME" is a shallow , lifeless and immersion-breaking overhyped joke...i cant stand seeing it being covererd everywhere anymore...

there is something really fishy about the whole media-coverage,previews and the "finished" product that i cant really describe... im too long a gamer and have been too often burned by hyped games that i grew wary over something thats marketed aggresively and speculated to oblivion by gamers and press...

seems to me either consumers havent learned and the publishers cash in on that or the whole games-industry is completely out of fresh ideas and concepts ... "old shit in new package" and gamers in general have low expectaions regarding gameplay and mechanics....

i better stop discussing this excuse for a game ,guess i should be happy i was smart enough not to preorder

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Yup never pre-order a multi format game as everyone should know by now that the PC version is always comes off the worst.

Still probably going to buy it if I can some new graphic card drivers.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

cant wait for TotalBiscuit to take it apart...

#STOPPREORDERINGVIDEOGAMES

He already did it since day 1

there is something really fishy about the whole media-coverage,previews and the "finished" product that i cant really describe

I mention it again, it's all Sony's work. They got money and ambition they can overhype the f*ck as ridiculous as they'd like while charging AAA-grade price for it in the same time. And probably they happily bribed most of the so-called gaming journalists to give it high score too, heck I never seen a review-in-progress could take this long on more than a couple of gaming sites for instance.

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

He already did it since day 1

Oh boy....wait till he gets to actual gameplay-testing....

Sad thing is they (Sony and Hello) got their money already for a empty shell...

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Sounds familiar, does that... ho-hum!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Hi,

just to be sure that no member on this site will run in a big disappointment with NMS, I have checked for confirmation 2 major workarounds for FPS trouble. This assumes that you are able to start the game however, if not check if your GPU supports OpenGL 4.5. Needless to say, only DEDICATED grafic cards will work. I hope the following workaround dance is fixed in the next patch.

Trouble Symptoms:

a) Big bounces in FPS during planetary walk / jet pack

b) Stuttering with big number of objects (a lot of vegetation, moving grass); especially when going from orbit to planet .

Workaround 1:

Go in game options, set all grafic options to minimum, don't limit the FPS, confirm, go on playing for a few seconds then EXIT the game. Reload the game set all grafic options to MAX (or anything your system can handle comfortably), but do not limit the FPS, play a few second then EXIT the game and reload. FPS trouble should be gone.

Workaround 2:

See XML config file edit under

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672304899575910/

Humm...I guess most people don't have the right grafics card, or just under minimum specs, me included... I can get for 203$ a NVidia GTX 960. Is there anything better for this price?

I Hope all this helps concentrating on the game 😎

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

just to clarify : they already made big bucks with it from the people dumb enough to preorder....NOT from me though.

probably they fix the most glaring bugs , then move on....

nothing learned on publisher/marketing side as long as there are enough suckers to throw money at them...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Well it look like I will not be playing it until some time next year, when I get around to changing the computer.

Having had a trawl through the Steam forums I did find that some people are saying they are getting the game to work by using a fix for the openGL 4.5 requirement by using the info on this Reddit thread https://np.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4xk0od/fix_for_video_card_without_opengl_45/

Weather it works is anybodies guess and what happens when they update the game.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Well it look like I will not be playing it until some time next year, when I get around to changing the computer.

Think I am in the same boat as you Pinback, I will just build a Zen CPU build next year sometime that should be good for a few years at least, I cannot complain I built the one I am using now in 2012.

But I have been reading of a lot of performance issues with NMS, guess in a few patches and probably gfx card driver updates and the game should run fine. This is usually the reason I don't by day one games, learned my lesson way too many times.

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Quoted directly from the video descriptions:

"My verdict after hours of play, this would be a decent Beta, but there are many things that need fixed, some are bugs, others are straight up bad design decisions."

Even Scott Manley thinks its at maximum BETA-quality...

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Here a link for anyone - like me - wondering if he has the right computer specs to even start and play this game. It seems that only the current top-15 grafic cards will fit 'Recommended' requirements. This would mean, a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Xtreme 2GB (worth less 200$) is good for Full HD @ 1080p, or a resolution of 1920x1080. Your card must support OpenGL 4.5: some cards when they have been released do not support this, but afterwards their drivers became updated and WILL support this. If you have  a decent card, be sure to have the latest drivers for it !

For anyone changing their GPUs, other than Motherboard compatibility, be sure to have a strong enough Power Supply (PSU). For good cards this should be 400W (NV GTX 960) or even 500W+ (GTX 970+). Good to have some W above of course.

The recommended Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Xtreme 2GB has a spec of 350W. (seen in Amazon), so my PSU of max. 360W should still be ok (must check this).

https://examinedliving.com/entertainment/gaming/best-gpu-no-mans-sky

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 17