Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 14 / 17

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I stand blissfully unaffected by all the hype and gnashing of teeth, as NMS has not interested me - and the more I see of pics from it, the less chance of me becoming interested. Still, it's nice to know that my EVGA GTX 770 2GB SC (with OpenGL 4.5) would run it.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

http://www.gamezone.com/news/no-man-s-sky-founder-backtracks-could-get-paid-dlc-3442515

Seems he enjoys himself being Sony's drone so much regardless of how f*cked up the release was.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

DLC is the last thing to worry about in NMS for the moment. The gameport has to be fixed and possibly changed. Why is it that only owners of NVidia GTX 970, 980 or 1xxx (or the latest AMD cards) give positive reviews for the PC version? Is the PS4 so damn superior in grafic ressources? I don't believe so, quite the contrary. Something has gone terribly wrong.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

DLC is the last thing to worry about in NMS for the moment. The gameport has to be fixed and possibly changed. Why is it that only owners of NVidia GTX 970, 980 or 1xxx (or the latest AMD cards) give positive reviews for the PC version? Is the PS4 so damn superior in grafic ressources? I don't believe so, quite the contrary. Something has gone terribly wrong.

The whole "affair" around NMS , Hello Games and Sony is for me the perfect example of whats wrong with the Gaming Industry and Community.

Starting with staged trailers and a staged planet SM lands "randomly" on , to the media covering every breath SM takes , to the community speculating what the game could be and which games it will make obsolete etc. , lots of people preordering ,to selling a Beta-quality Indie Game for AAA-price , to ddos-ing critics website because they dont agree with the blinded fanboys violently defending this pile of crap-software and now , only 5 days after launching a defective product already speculation from the lead-dev for DLC while the problems arent patched.

Open your eyes !

In my opinion , everyone defending it , attacking others over this broken,falsly advertised crapgame and the snake-oil salesman Murray should get lifelong ban from using a computer.Sadly there is no real justice.

EDIT: TBs video is up :

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

I see Steam users are say that the experimental build is starting to show some results in getting the game to work better.

I'm still holding out for a patch or some thing for the openGl requirement but I guess I won't be seeing one.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

The whole "affair" around NMS , Hello Games and Sony is for me the perfect example of whats wrong with the Gaming Industry and Community.

Starting with staged trailers and a staged planet SM lands "randomly" on , to the media covering every breath SM takes , to the community speculating what the game could be and which games it will make obsolete etc. , lots of people preordering ,to selling a Beta-quality Indie Game for AAA-price , to ddos-ing critics website because they dont agree with the blinded fanboys violently defending this pile of crap-software and now , only 5 days after launching a defective product already speculation from the lead-dev for DLC while the problems arent patched.

Open your eyes !

In my opinion , everyone defending it , attacking others over this broken,falsly advertised crapgame and the snake-oil salesman Murray should get lifelong ban from using a computer.Sadly there is no real justice.

I can understand your point on the hype-train that was broadcast both by the company and fan boys alike. And I didn't watch a whole lot of material on this because I particularly don't like people speculating on what will be in the game. So I did pre-order the game within the week it was released and I'm not too disappointed. Now I did watch some PS4 lets-play YouTubers and like and based my decision to buy then. I have played about 15 hours of casual play (1-2 hrs) and have enjoy the relax game style of exploring, and yes, grinding my way around the worlds and stars. I have to put a alarm on so that I don't lose time also. Now to say that game is perfect, or the game will suit everyone. Definitely not! There is some poping and micro shutter but I notice that has gone since they release a small patch. I had no issue with CD or starting the game anytime, so I'm not sure if this is because people underspeced or have twigged there PC to cause some of the issues. Also this game is not a "press a button win" or whirlwind of event and climatic events at every turn. It does have a story and quirky aspect of trying to learn a language and understand the aliens you meet. There is a intriguing story behind it and this similar to most of hard sci-fi I read. I do hope they expand it in the future.

Now you do have the right to your opinion, but to say that people who defend, developed and prompted the hype should be ban from using a computer. I think you just over the top as they are. 🙂

I like to be middle ground. This game was not worth $60 but more around the $30-$40. But still people will think this is expensive for a "beta" game. The game has potential and I really do hope they continue to develop it further. As the game to be a MMO ... nope! As you start randomly near the edge of NSM universe of 18 Quintillion planets, I think it very unlikely you will meet anyone. So forget about been a MMO, it  a single player game. I do agree that if they do release a DLC that it should be free for people who brought it already. They are ones who put the money in their pockets.

As for other similar games that started development about 4 years after their first announcement. I can think of 2 that have produce and release (not perfect) within that time. ED and NMS. There is still one that had and still has the biggest, most over hype announcement, and still haven't released a fully playable game (only demos). And that is SC!! So when you put that in perceptive. I think NMS did a pretty damn good job to meet some (not all) their goals in this release.

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Now you do have the right to your opinion, but to say that people who defend, developed and prompted the hype should be ban from using a computer. I think you just over the top as they are. 🙂

Yeah of course thats over the top ( 😀 ), i am just angry that after all this years ( im playing games since C64 days...) it is still possible to get away with false advertising , hyping and charging too much for a beta-quality product...

Check this reddit thread where someone gone through the effort to list up what was promised and what was actually deliverd.... https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

its called unjust enrichment i think ... (im not nativly english)

and regarding future additions with "patches" , why didnt they release "early access" then (for maybe 20 bucks)? thers very few companies that can keep up patching for free for long...

LOL:

shows really good marketing and the sad reality... 😀

anyway...im outta here playing Space Engineers,E:D,Starbound,Subnautica,Wayward Terran Frontier EarlyAccess;Factorio etc... 😉

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

I stand blissfully unaffected

lol

One thing though.

as NMS has not interested me

The real trick is of course to be blissfully unaffected ... when you are interested / invested / etc.

Anyway. NMS is still on my wish list. But I'm more than happy to wait until it meets my criteria's. And if that's never (like a lower price), than ... so be it.

... Thank God I'm an Atheist ...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

According to Reddit theirs anew patch on the way with another coming next week as well for both PC & PS4. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y5k07/new_patch_coming_this_week_and_another_one_next/

Question for anyone playing the game, what are the oceans like and has anyone found the cave life that was shown in one of early videos.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I'm going to be a real asshole and quote myself from a year ago: 

And, by the way, yes, I care about No Man's Sky. I suspect that there will be a lot of vitriol over that game because people will have crazy expectations for it (and, for me, it looks like it will be lacking in the sorts of things I'm usually most interested in), but I would absolutely love even a sufficiently nice sci-fi walking simulator.

Thanks to steam's refund policy, I felt comfortable enough buying this that I went ahead, and fortunately my computer is powerful enough to take the brute-force approach to making it run ok.  For the most part I get a fairly consistent 90fps with some occasional but not-unbearable hitching, which usually has an apparent cause.

Yes it's a bad port, and the developers and Sony definitely deserve to be strongly chastised for this, but in the face of all the ranting (on youtube and elsewhere) I'd like to point out that this is hardly unusual.  For me personally, the Dark Souls 3 port (generally considered a good port) is far more problematic than the No Man's Sky port: it is locked at 60fps and the fact that V-sync is locked on gives me occasional hitching, and the game isn't terribly pretty besides, so it should run at a solid 144fps.

By far the biggest issue here is that people's expectations were WAY, WAY TOO FUCKING HIGH, so I really think that some of the people complaining the loudest about this game have mostly themselves to blame.  I feel a little bit of sympathy for the developer in this situtation, but that is tempered by the fact that for most of the development cycle they seemed to be deliberately vague about the games features.  There is also the issue of pricing.  If expectations weren't so absurdly inflated and no malevolent entities (i.e. Sony) had moved in, this would have been a 20$ indie game half the purchasers of which wouldn't have heard about a week before buying and everyone would have been happy.

As for me, my biggest disappointment with it is certainly that the planet variety so far doesn't seem to be quite what I was hoping.  Sure, it's a terrible shooter and doesn't deserve the label "space sim", but those are things I was fully expecting.  I was very eager to have a game which makes me feel like I'm exploring space, and there are very few of those types of games out there (relatively speaking), so overall I'm fine with having paid a price for it that would leave me quite disgruntled were it a different genre and of this quality.  

Nice little game, not fantastic, not super memorable, certainly will not be the most significant game of the year.  It is more than a "sufficiently nice sci-fi walking simulator".  These were my expectations and No Man's Sky has met them, so I'm fine.

Now next week we'll have Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the sequel to two of the greatest games ever made where my expectations really are sky-high, so that'll be a much more interesting test.  To be continued...

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Hi ExpandingMan,

can you please tell which grafics card you play with? I now get a new ASUS Mainboard (Z170-A) and will put in a GeForce GTX 960 (processor is i7 3.4-4.0 GH) with 16 GB RAM.

On GOG, there is a section called "Waiting For A New Computer". It lists 10 games or so that have amazing system requirements due to their grafics. Witcher 3 is such one. No Man's Sky has joined the club 🙂

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

I can confirm that it works on an i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM with GeForce GTX 670 4GB RAM.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

By far the biggest issue here is that people's expectations were WAY, WAY TOO FUCKING HIGH, so I really think that some of the people complaining the loudest about this game have mostly themselves to blame.  I feel a little bit of sympathy for the developer in this situtation, but that is tempered by the fact that for most of the development cycle they seemed to be deliberately vague about the games features.  There is also the issue of pricing.  If expectations weren't so absurdly inflated and no malevolent entities (i.e. Sony) had moved in, this would have been a 20$ indie game half the purchasers of which wouldn't have heard about a week before buying and everyone would have been happy.

As for me, my biggest disappointment with it is certainly that the planet variety so far doesn't seem to be quite what I was hoping.  Sure, it's a terrible shooter and doesn't deserve the label "space sim", but those are things I was fully expecting.  I was very eager to have a game which makes me feel like I'm exploring space, and there are very few of those types of games out there (relatively speaking), so overall I'm fine with having paid a price for it that would leave me quite disgruntled were it a different genre and of this quality.  

Nice little game, not fantastic, not super memorable, certainly will not be the most significant game of the year.  It is more than a "sufficiently nice sci-fi walking simulator".  These were my expectations and No Man's Sky has met them, so I'm fine.

Now next week we'll have Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the sequel to two of the greatest games ever made where my expectations really are sky-high, so that'll be a much more interesting test.  To be continued...

In an era of Steam sales, bundle websites, and key trading, you had certainly better bring a better game to the table than how you just described No Man's SKy. ESPECIALLY if you are charging top dollar. I happily requested a refund after seeing enough streams and such, and promptly bought Deus Ex: MD (God that whole series is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.)

My point is this, how can you offer so little, for so much? 

Also, they outright lied about a variety of things. As found here.  http://www.onemanslie.info/the-original-reddit-post/

I'm sorry, but Hello Games will never see another dollar from me. They are simply too shady. As a working man, who gets 14 sick/vacation days a YEAR, I can't afford to take the wrong days off. I am happy I didn't bother taking a day off for NMS, as I would have been out of luck. Sean refused to clarify the release date on PC until a few days before the supposed 9th release date. He couldn't have clarified? He sure took time out of his busy day to blast people who played the game early.

Anyway. TL;DR : Sean more shady than the population of tattooine. Game way overpriced for what it is.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Hi ExpandingMan,
can you please tell which grafics card you play with?

It's on a GTX1080 with a i7-5930k and 16GB of RAM.  Yes, the Pascal cards are ridiculous, so I don't know how good an indicator this is for pre-Pascal.  Keep in mind though that I am running it at 1440p, so I suspect a 970, 980, 1060 or certainly 1070 would probably be perfectly fine at 1080p.  I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the hitching is CPU issues, as the CPU usage is all over the map.  It did seem slightly better after yesterday's patch.  One last thing, most of the bad hitching is pretty bad for about a minute after the game first loads, but goes away, so immediate impressions may not be representative.

ESPECIALLY if you are charging top dollar.

Hence my comment about the pricing.  This is definitely more of a 20$ or 30$ indie game.  I'm sure it would have been just that if it weren't for Sony.  If this were a hack-n-slash RPG or some other dime-a-dozen genre but of comparable quality, I definitely would not consider it worth buying, but as it is rather niche, I'm not personally overly burned up about paying more because Sony saw a grand opportunity to screw everyone.

And yeah, if your choice is between this or Mankind Divided, there should be no question whatsoever, Deus Ex is the way to go.  Good to see today that the Mankind Divided reviews are quite positive (though not quite as much as Human Revolution).  I still have an axe to grind about Human Revolution being under-hyped and under-rated, and worse, overshadowed by stupid Dishonored (which was inferior in every conceivable way, as well as being some lame thing with magic and ninja wizards or something instead of badass cyborgs).

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

By the howls on the Steam forum, Hello Games have put out the too updates but they seem to have fix some issues with the first and introduced more with the second.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well I am enjoying it so far. Yes there is some odd things about it like the weird handling of the ship when planetside, but all in all, not bad. Is it worth £40? Well that depends on what someone values in a game. If your still on the fence about buying it, wait until it hits the sales is my advice. To me, its a peaceful solo exploration game, well at least for the moment, and I am still on my starting planet too as I got lucky since its a garden world with lots of life upon it. If that sort of gameplay appeals to you then you might like it but if your wanting MMO style gameplay you would be better looking elsewhere methinks.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

The patch that came out today was a significant improvement for me.  Still not really getting above 90fps, but much of the hitching (framerate drops) is gone.

One more thing I wanted to mention: I know it's popular to beat up on Elite Dangerous right now, but I really think they should have gotten more appreciation for their planets.  My appreciation has deepened after spending some time playing No Man's Sky.  Yes, the planets in Elite Dangerous may not be flashy (after all, they've only done barren planets so far), but they just look so damn convincing.  No Man's Sky tries so hard: different plants, animals and atmospheric effects, but it is just no substitute for the realistic, simulated, well-thought-out planets you see in Elite Dangerous.  The variety you see in barren, lifeless planets in Elite Dangerous to me blows away the haphazard cacophony of colors you get in No Man's Sky.  As someone who has spent most of his life studying physics, it really upsets me that Elite Dangerous didn't get a little more credit for the planets, despite its problems.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Sounds a bit like what I feared.

I think the main fascination of NMS will surely come from the beautiful planets

Yea, they do look nice. But based on the general content so far of the NMS video's is also triggers my critical nature. If there the default, the danger that they might get mundane fast is not a unreal danger. ... Time will tell.

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/4100-no-mans-sky/page-7#entry54445

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Enough said :

Joe wraps it up ...

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

I have really given NMS a chance. I so wanted to like this game but I have to admit to being pretty disappointed. I did have some framerate issues and awful hitching, but even disregarding that the game itself has issues.

The main problem for me is that it was meant to be about exploring new worlds and discovery. Once you've been to a few planets, you quickly notice how the algorithms generate terrain in a similar way. Every world (that I visited) had irregular/rocky/mountainous type land. Not one single large plain, or a flat desert planet, or even just a flatter planet. Add to this that EVERY single world has little settlements and alien life somewhere. And I don't mean wild creatures, I mean one of the alien races. How is that discovering anything? It took me a little while to realise it, but after exploring 2 or 3 systems, I was yearning for something unusual. Sure there were some good planets, one which was -100 deg with fully aggressive sentinals, even got the Star Wars-esque walkers. But ultimately I felt like it was just stuff I'd already seen.

I feel now like simply making the long slog to the centre, without stopping, just to see what happens, and unless the devs put some huge surprises in the game that you won't see until you get nearer then I can't see it being much fun. It takes something like 45 min in the galactic map to get to the centre. While zooming you pass many systems every second, at least 5-10. Even if you only spend 2 min in each system (unskippable warp screens and resource collection) you're looking at 900 hours. I know that black holes play a part in space travel, but with no way of knowing when you will get to use one, you have to visit stations and planets to try and discover them.

I don't know, it just seems like they made half a game. Could have done with another year or two in development.

Edit: Just watched the video above and yeah, it pretty much says it all  🙁

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

I agree with the criticisms, but think that the main problem (as many others have said) was that the game was just over-hyped, and made out to be a triple-A title (and priced accordingly) when in fact it's more of a beautiful and peaceful little indie effort. If it had been priced at $20 and released with little fanfare, I think reviews would have been much more positive.

I still enjoy it, but I enjoy it for what it is - just a sandbox where I can fly quietly around and see the sun rising on strange alien planets. If you expect nothing more, it's a really pleasant experience.

Now, if only they could do some frightful kind of vivisection and splice this and Elite: Dangerous together, I'd be eternally happy 😀

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Now, if only they could do some frightful kind of vivisection and splice this and Elite: Dangerous together, I'd be eternally happy 😀

I happen to think Elite Dangerous is WAY prettier than No Man's Sky, planets and all.  There are some things that just can't be captured in a few screenshots.

But anyway, I agree with Overlord that the principle problem with the game is lack of even visual variety of the planets.  Anybody who was expecting mesmerizing gameplay just wasn't paying attention, but I was expecting the planets to look a bit more distinctive, especially since that always seemed to be its real selling point.  What's actually there isn't too much more impressive than those old open source terrain generators.  I think it's a fun little game that should have been 20$, and I'm definitely getting some enjoyment out of it, but I'm definitely not seeing anything that leaves me overly impressed as far as the procedural generation goes.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Enough said :

Joe wraps it up ...

What an intro... That's way more entertaining than Matt Damon on Mars 🙂

I'm really surprised to see that even in the PS4 things go amess with crashes, I thought the problems were mainly in the PC version, but watching this video it's actually worse in PS4, poor Joe, I feel with him...

I know what this game deserves: It should be modded, MODDED, MOOOODDDEEDDD....

I recall Falcon 4, nice and new at release, then the community has taken over, but...The game 'FreeFalcon' eventually died from complexity, I hope NMS will have another fate!

At the present state, NMS seems more a demo tech hull than a serious game (60$ for a demo, humpf...##@@!...), thus the urgent need to add stuff, be it scripted or 'randomized' by procedural elements, I don't care, but more GAMEPLAY CONTENT please!

Or could it be that there is well-hidden content not yet discovered by all the easy-ranters, so that all what was promised is actually in the game but must yet be discovered? I ask this because the game is really vast  in possible locations...

Maybe people who are disappointed should simply start a fresh game to get a better shuffle for good conditions. However, I guess this is more a hope than the reality...

What's for sure, NMS can only get better. I would start to erase and replace the silly UI where you have to hold the mouse, just to start with, and: please get rid of the grotesc need to pop-up the Inventory during space fights. Then, remove the stupid sort of 'auto-pilot' when flying over the planet, free flight and crashes should be possible.

Very positive (but subjective): the visuals, the planet landscapes, the building designs and the fact that there is finally a space game released which has nice and seamless  transitions from space to planets, transitions that deserve this name. 

A little more variety in the buildings and people would not harm, I mean this is not Parkan 2, we are playing in a higher league. The same goes for Aliens: they all sit inactively in one place as if they were assigned to slavery for doing some desk job...On space stations you see ships landing but you never get to see the pilots, even when trading. That doesn't fit. I don't expect a living world like in 'The Precursors', but some middling solution as for variety and interaction. So I think there is great room for DLCs, payable or not.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

The game 'FreeFalcon' eventually died from complexity

[background=#212f3a]I beg to differ. It was the exact opposite, FF died because everyone wanted the sim as insanely complex as possible thus everyone else quickly abandoned it once BMS rose into mainstreamity.[/background]

Then, remove the stupid sort of 'auto-pilot' when flying over the planet, free flight and crashes should be possible.

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/
Modder did what Hello Games can't. It's as if they have learnt the best bits from Bethesda, as always.

(what's wrong with the forum's bb code anyway? For some reason I can't embed URL into text)

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Hi MV2000,

first, thanks for the mod link, I hope the author will get plenty of donations, because what the mod does is really superb.

Yes you are absolutely right about Falcon4, that's indeed exactly what I meant to say, you did it much better.

Another correction is: Games like Rodina and Evochron Legacy / Mercenary do also a very fine job when it comes to seamless transitions space-planets. Rodina has a high potential to grow to a serious game and was developed and released before NMS with a reasonable pricing.

I now got to see the planets in Elite: Dangerous and I agree with ExpandingMan: The landscape while not filled with spectacular content is very realistic and fits to the game.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 17