Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 8 / 17

MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

New gameplay video from IGN (that doesn't actually look boring/samey as previous videos at last)

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Yes, finally, that was a real, new gameplay video (stupid bullshit like showing the speakers when there are new things on the screen notwithstanding).  It's looking like a pretty lousy shooter and space-sim, but I suppose we weren't really expecting it to excel at those things anyway.  It is looking like there is a fair amount to do, so that's certainly a positive.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

(stupid bullshit like showing the speakers when there are new things on the screen notwithstanding)

It's IGN what do you want to expect.

It's looking like a pretty lousy shooter and space-sim

Frankly NMS always has been "space survival & exploration first" and "shooter/spacesim later" since the beginning so it's understandable.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Finally we get a good amount of information about game mechanics, about what we can expect to play with. We have seen a Borderlands-like FPS action with a natural transition into space, and this on a very large scale. There seems to be a lot to do on planets, Murray didn^t say it expressly, but he showed that you are not going to be given a space fighter ship as a give-away, you will have to work for it, also for your survival against natural elements.

I continue to be impressed by the Artwork, the new presented interiors, more details on the inside of the space station, a factory on the planet and finally: we get to know that yes, there will be interactive NPC's. That's not bad at all.

While not hyper-realistic, the interior designs very well fit into the planet surrounding and the game idea to spread fascination. A great job.

I expect NMS to strongly hit the charts, not only as a space game, but as a game period. I'm looking forward to play it.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

My only major concern with the game is will it be able to play it without being connected to the internet which is still a bit vague at the moment and I did hear Murry mention servers a couple of times, Which makes me think it might be another always on DRM.

Wonder if any of the alien races mention in the video have their home worlds with big cities on then rather than just a few buildings.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Yeah, cities, that would be superb. A world like in The Precursors, but not 5 worlds to visit, but a 10 with some pretty zeros behind

Why not, it's technically feasable if these cities were also procedurally generated I think, but this would be too nice to turn true...

XenonS

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

My only major concern with the game is will it be able to play it without being connected to the internet which is still a bit vague at the moment and I did hear Murry mention servers a couple of times, Which makes me think it might be another always on DRM.

Wonder if any of the alien races mention in the video have their home worlds with big cities on then rather than just a few buildings.

Doubt it has always-online DRM considering it's also sold on GOG.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

I really hope it doesn't use any forced online DRM..

Another thing that been bothering me is the lack of info regarding third person view when piloting spaceships..

I know several who get motion-sick in first person view and other who get claustrophobic like me.

First person when controlling a character is only a minor discomfort that can be played with but when in navigating space it's a must.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

A third-person view is easy to implement, considering other things we have seen that are much more difficult. I would be surprised if such a view is absent. I guess that, as any title, NMS will have his period of updates and patches.

Sean Murray was concerned at the start to provide *multiplayer* functionality. So SP is for sure present, but specific features like sharing your discoveries with others will not be possible, obviously.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

No Man Sky is very much Precursors on steroids although it lack any drivable vehicles on the surface and the interior of the ship. Although Murry seems to suggest that more features will be added after release.

Good question about the 3rd person view as I don't recall seeing anything about it.

The question as to weather the game will require an internet connection seem to be just too vague and If it turns out to require one then I will not be buying the game as I have already been led up the garden path by the over rated, over hyped and over priced boredom simulator, AKA Elite Dangerous. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

... over rated, over hyped and over priced boredom simulator, AKA Elite Dangerous. 

<chortles>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

... over rated, over hyped and over priced boredom simulator, AKA Elite Dangerous. 

Boredom simulator, really?  [Insert usual qualifications about how I feel about Elite Dangerous here] I have to really, really think that if you find it THAT boring than you should probably be looking in a completely different genre of games to find your entertainment.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

As I have said before it's an opinion.

Was looking at a video given 5 reasons not to pre-order the game and they made one really good point about Hello games being a small indie developer about,16 people and have they done enough testing on the PC and will they be able to cope with what will be thousands of request if it's a bad launch. 

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

I will only buy ED if they release an acceptable SP offline version which is feasable, I don't want to buy a serie of chunks that slowly provide me with game features as it seems to be the case right now. And it's a pity, because judging by the videos the game is grafically very good and the gameplay surely not worse than other prime titles in the genre.

It^s not a question of price but presentation, also I'm not overly a friend of gaming platforms.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Not sure about the DRM issue as to why it needs to connect to a server. But doesn't the game update the universes in real-time? Meaning if I make a new discovery and I label it and upload it that it is now available for all at this point. So I would think you would have to be online to gain this part of the immersion functionality.

I think Hello Games should be able to manage, right now I don't have many concerns because I have liked what I have seen in videos. But the whole 'server' aspect may be what causes problems with technically thousands of people being on the same node (I think). It might not be an issue because it was stated many times that you might never run into a human player in your travels in the game so maybe thats how they handle server load 🙂

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

A new video.  Showing new funny creatures. Definitely those guys amaze me every day more.

<sarcastic>not a "trash" post this time</sarcastic>

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Nice funny video. According to the updated information archive, there will be a lot of different creatures indeed. But they also say that 90% of the planets will just be barren, unhabitated. I guess for the 10%, it will be worth exploring near a sun first to see wild vegetation, animals and interesting stuff. But you are not going to start there in the first place...You will have to gather material, get your ship in the air, etc.. I'm really curious what the player's reaction will be when they start. Some may be disappointed because they expect to just sit in the craft and fly away, this will not be the case.

Also, I still hope a sort of 'seed number setting' will be provided for Single Player, so at least you could load your 'own' universe at every game start, but although this would be an absolute novity and revolution in gaming,  this will not be the case at release: the universe will be the same for anyone, 1 big seed number used for building the galaxy with all procedural objects. All planets will look the same for 2 different game installs, but there are  billions of them, and all different... You start at a random place far away from the center of the universe AFAIK. Also the game gets harder when you move towards the center of the universe. BTW, the whole world in NMS is the 'Universe' with a lot of galaxies, not only a single galaxy with star systems.

3rd person view in space: I have shortly seen this one in a E3 2015 german video, where Sean Murray presented a game sequence to the public. However this view was only a 2 second sequence, I think Sean hit the wrong button 🙂

After reading other forums, the situation is probably this: In First Person View on planets there will be NO 3rd person view because you will not be able to see your ego.

In space, onboard your ship you will be able to switch to 3rd person view (but no idea about a turn-around, fly-by view or such).

XenonS

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I have a confession to make: I hate 3rd person views so much that I find it very gratifying when games make a point of not including them.  When I'm in a less malicious mood I think 3rd person views are perfectly fine as long as they are not the only option.  I've never understood why you would want a huge solid angle of your view taken up by an annoying character model.  Certainly there are a few games which require a 3rd person view for what seem like legitimate reasons (hack-n-slash games like Dark Souls are the only things which come to mind right now, and of course I'm not including isometric games which are just altogether different in how they handle visibility), but by-and-large I find the prevalence of 3rd person views in gaming baffling.  All things being equal, what are you getting out of a 3rd person view?  You are losing half your field of view for what?  There is also the whole issue of immersion, the discussion of which these days seems to be mostly bullshit, but I at least think in the matter of 1st vs 3rd person there is something to it.

Anyway, I can't think of a legitimate reason not to include it as an option, but please don't make it the only option and FOR GOD SAKE DON'T MAKE IT DEFAULT.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

(...)

Anyway, I can't think of a legitimate reason not to include it as an option, but please don't make it the only option and FOR GOD SAKE DON'T MAKE IT DEFAULT.

I understand your point, I'm with you. You should try out Parkan I: (The Imperial Chronicles). When you get in the corridors of planets with your battlesuit, instead of a 3rd person view they included a sort of shrinking view from inside your battlesuit, a pure horror for claustrofobic persons

I pesonally find the 3rd person view turns a game into a kid's toy, I don't know why I feel like this. The same for top-down space games.

But in NMS the default will be 1st person, also because the cockpits are very fine, with a good 3D radar where even the planets are well visible.

And they have even included a totally new 'view': a sort of large zoom view where you leave the planet and see important icons, amazing, and useful...

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

After reading other forums, the situation is probably this: In First Person View on planets there will be NO 3rd person view because you will not be able to see your ego.

In space, onboard your ship you will be able to switch to 3rd person view (but no idea about a turn-around, fly-by view or such).

That's all I need. That and an equal HUD (if any) as in first person. Thanks for finding this out!

I have a confession to make: I hate 3rd person views so much that I find it very gratifying when games make a point of not including them.  When I'm in a less malicious mood I think 3rd person views are perfectly fine as long as they are not the only option.  I've never understood why you would want a huge solid angle of your view taken up by an annoying character model.  Certainly there are a few games which require a 3rd person view for what seem like legitimate reasons (hack-n-slash games like Dark Souls are the only things which come to mind right now, and of course I'm not including isometric games which are just altogether different in how they handle visibility), but by-and-large I find the prevalence of 3rd person views in gaming baffling.  All things being equal, what are you getting out of a 3rd person view?  You are losing half your field of view for what?  There is also the whole issue of immersion, the discussion of which these days seems to be mostly bullshit, but I at least think in the matter of 1st vs 3rd person there is something to it.

You do realize that in doing so you derive satisfaction from dividing, antagonizing and belittling people with different tastes than you, simply out of spite?

Why would you even...?

Name one (space-pilot) game (not 2D) which only works in third person, please. (I can name several with cockpit only...)

As I mentioned earlier, if you'd bothered to read, there are people with motion sickness and claustrophobia who need to see where they are in relation to the object they are controlling.

Not that anyone owes you an explanation...Why do you Demand a first person view??

The more options available to gamers the more gamers, and ultimately, more games. Let's unite in our hobby instead of trying to divide.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

Also, I still hope a sort of 'seed number setting' will be provided for Single Player, so at least you could load your 'own' universe at every game start, but although this would be an absolute novity and revolution in gaming,  this will not be the case at release

This could be fun for sure. But you're right : forget about it.

BTW, the whole world in NMS is the 'Universe' with a lot of galaxies, not only a single galaxy with star systems.

Didn't knew that. Are you sure ?

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

This could be fun for sure. But you're right : forget about it.

Didn't knew that. Are you sure ?

Seed Number formula calculation:

I don't even expect a super IBM computer (e.g. those used for meteorology) to calculate such an universe based on a seed formula within an acceptable time, say 10 minutes.

And the problem is: will you have anything playable after that? I guess the NMS team was rather busy in this aspect.

Universe or Galaxy?

https://repo.nmsdb.info/

Greets,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

but by-and-large I find the prevalence of 3rd person views in gaming baffling.  All things being equal, what are you getting out of a 3rd person view?  You are losing half your field of view for what? 

Greater spacial awareness is what you get from a 3rd person view, if I remember rightly the solider sim Arma stopped user from using the 3rd person view in their online game as it gave them an advantage over anyone using the first person view.

Universe or Galaxy?

https://repo.nmsdb.info/

I see this site says their is an offline mode but where did it get this information from?.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

I see this site says their is an offline mode but where did it get this information from?.

A very good question this one. I don't know either although I searched various places talking about NMS. I'd like to know for sure too, because I then have to equip my desktop with a security suite which slows down a lot of things   Only to name one of my concerns about having to be online... I will not play MP, at least when starting.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

You do realize that in doing so you derive satisfaction from dividing, antagonizing and belittling people with different tastes than you, simply out of spite?

Sorry, I really didn't intend to come off anywhere near that nasty.  Actually, I was largely kidding when I suggested that I wish developers would deliberately not include 3rd person, sometimes tone doesn't come across so well in text.  Though, I was quite serious when I said that I find it very hard to understand why anyone would want half their field of view blocked.  Again, if the argument is spatial awareness, I think this is only applicable for very specific types of games, in the case of most shooters (whether they be FPS or simulators) I suspect that most of those who want 3rd person would actually be far more satisfied after making the appropriate adjustments to their field-of-view setting.  But of course, if you suffer from motion sickness associated with 1st person views, that sounds just awful and I certainly didn't intend to antagonize anybody for this (admittedly, I was not very aware that that is an issue for many people).

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 17