Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Oolite resources on the Web

Page 2 / 4

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The number of Thargoid warships is a dice-roll, of course - could be two, could be five or six (core game, I mean).

I once managed to keep a mark safe from five warships, only to find he didn't have an escape pod.

Have you ever lured a bunch of bandits into interstellar space, Diz? Very entertaining, is that!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DizietSma
(@dizietsma)
Petty Officer Registered

No.. haven't had tried that yet.. but one time I chased after a Random Hits mark who witched out, only to find he'd managed to mis-jump..

I started in on the Thargoids, (one of those rare cases where "the enemy of my enemy" is my enemy too) only to realise when I finally noticed the witch-cloud at the edge of my scanner that he was bugging out and leaving me there.  I blasted over on injectors and managed to get in less than 10 seconds before it closed.  I bet any of his henchmen who'd followed us got the shock of their lives! 😈

Edit:  And yes, I did eventually get him.. had to chase the bugger through 3 systems first though!

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Galaxy Maps and Wiki's: (more Marc Beaumont stuff. For the coder types)

- source1: http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13941

- source2: http://www.theramist.co.uk/blog/?cat=4 (shows more than first link in aegidian topic)

OOLiteInfo3D note: Is py2 code. But seems to runs a bit smoother with py3(windows) 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I note with pleasure that the Oolite forum is ten years old today!

Here - have some Ten Years After in celebration!  Heavy!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Happy Birthday Oolite forums!

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

Happy birthday !

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

Happy Birthday !!!!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @pagroove

Oolite main site: > http://www.oolite.org/

Looks like the ownership of oolite.org has dropped, and is now subject to a bidding war.

We're keeping an eye on it, whilst setting-up an alternative... just in case.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This sucks, trolls that look for any opportunity to snag up a domain for little money without maybe the knowledge to the owner 😉 Luckily the domain isn't that high in cost right now. But like any websites that don't really generate income all this is expensive paying for domain, webhosting, ssl certs, etc.... cause SSC takes hundreds of dollars each year to keep it here. Luckily I have some great members that donate throughout the year to assist with the cost.

I hope this stays where its at, and if the possible owner is not a fan of space games just let me know and I will just buy the domain. Who is currently hosting the site? Is it free hosting or paid?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

This sucks...

Yeah! One of Oolite's lead devs owned oolite.org. He moved-on some years ago, but continued to pay the subs. Up until recently, that is. First we knew about it was when oolite.org went down. As far as I know, no-one has been able to contact him, so we've no idea if it lapsed unintentionally or not. Perhaps he doesn't give a fuck anymore, or he's keeled over, or some other reason. A "dead man's handle" of some type is needed for things like this, but very few people bother to set one up.

No idea who is/was hosting it, but there's a pertinent thread here that might help. That current $23 bid upped the ante some.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I see this auction price is rising on oolite.org ($58), was oolite.space able to pull down the whole site (website and game files/mods)? If I am reading this site right is that the auction ends next year? Would be nice to get ahold of the domain holder and just switch over the domain to someone in the community. Sounds like the renewal cost is like $11 🙂

oolite.space is a good domain name but you will loose out on the many years of SEO

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

was oolite.space able to pull down the whole site (website and game files/mods)?

Yeah, it's fully-functional and we're already using it. Mods are stored on the Oolite Wiki and linked to via the in-game expansion manager, and game files are stored on GitHub. I know zilch about how these domain things work, but it seems someone wants it. From our point of view, we're probably content to carry on using oolite.space, and flip the finger at whoever's trying to profit from owning oolite.org!

There ain't many of us regulars left now, and the Oolite forum is very quiet!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

If I am reading this site right is that the auction ends next year?

That's not how I read it, D1:

Auctions Ends:

05/19/2023 2:19pm CDT
2D 1H Left

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Whoa! A sudden jump to $360 - it's hotting up!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A new bidder enters the fray at $406 (and the bot seems to have given up) - what fun!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Madness! Latest bid is $1015 - WTF?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Sold! To the man at the back with the sunglasses and funny hat! $2860

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

@sscadmin - is it possible for me to have editing permissions in the Oolite section? Got some links that will need changing.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

If your talking about the description and links section at the root of the Oolite forums that would be a me thing

olite is a space sim game, inspired by Elite, powered by Objective-C and OpenGL, and designed as a small game that is easy for users to pick up, modify and expand upon. Almost every aspect of the game can be changed by using simple, free graphics packages and text editors.
Gallery: Oolite Gallery
Downloads: Oolite Downloads

If you just give me the URLs I will update this section for you. If its post related is there specific posts you cannot edit? Because that might just be a setting that blocks a person from editing a post after a certain amount of time.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

If your talking about the description and links section at the root of the Oolite forums that would be a me thing

Aye, it's those three links (which point to oolite.org or sections of it). If you could change the "oolite.org" parts to "oolite.space" that'd be great.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

@cody I would have never thought the domain when go for almost $3k, maybe someone/group have plans for Oolite. Oolite is open source right so maybe someone is going to try to publish something using the Oolite name? Has there been any rumors about this?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I would have never thought the domain when go for almost $3k

No, neither did we - more like $300 max, we thought. No, no rumours as yet! Yeah, Oolite is open source.

This post was modified 10 months ago 2 times by Cody

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Sorry for the delay @cody, I updated those links for the forum description for you they are all linked to oolite.space now.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Sweet! Thanks, D1

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Curious - after someone spending all that money, oolite.org now returns a 404 Not Found message.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4