Do you have a favou...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you have a favourite rocket?

TommyJ
(@tommyj)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

In the modern world, space launches have become a necessity.
Every week, satellites are launched around the world, and research missions are launched a little less often.
Each mission requires a specific rocket. Do you have a favourite rocket? Small or Large? Why do you like it?

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Saturn 5 and probably because I built the model as a kid.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @pinback

because I built the model as a kid.

This is how someone spent lockdown (no, it wasn't me).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Mine was the Airfix kit but that Lego one is impressive. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Ah yes, Airfix! I was keen on their warships and planes.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
TommyJ
(@tommyj)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

because I built the model as a kid.

This is how someone spent lockdown (no, it wasn't me).

Good job! Saturn 5 is popular.
I like that too.
Some space companies are now making their own products for fans. I wonder how much closer a manufacturer's model could be to a real rocket.
Especially if the manufacturer uses a 3D printer to produce a real rocket.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

These Lego kits seem to be very popular among men of a certain age...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Oddly I had more Meccano than Lego.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Oddly I had more Meccano than Lego.

Same here! Lego never really grabbed me, but Meccano did. Had one of these too:

A thing of beauty, was the Mamod Minor 2 (which fetch a few quid these days).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

The Parker Solar Probe. I like this space craft simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

There is also one rocket by small space company but as for me this rocket is pretty good. It`s called SkyHy and it`s called hybrid because it uses ( as I have already mentioned ) solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser.
https://www.skyrora.com/skyhy

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

My favourite one is Parker Solar Probe.

Because of the technology developing control, which is explained and familiar to me.

Also I’ve always admired the approach of the unite and cosmic environment, that can be used for simple math calculation up to going to the outer space.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I always has a soft spot for the Atlas series. Not only used during the Mercury program, but these rockets also saw lots of use in setting up early comm satellite network, an important place in history.

Of course, for the Russians, the incredible N1 series would have been amazing to see too. The engines developed for it are still in use today.

EDIT: Cody posted the Shuttle there. I am sorry it's launches stopped but I guess it had reached the end of it's service life, too many terrible accidents too. Also, I thought the Russian Buran looked very cool too, shame that didn't see more use. I hope space agencies around go back to reusable craft one day as there is too much junk floating around the Earth as is. The days of throwaway rockets must end or we wont be able to have anything in orbit without it being hit by something. It's only a matter of time before a terrible accident occurs up there.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Wernher von Braun in his NASA office:

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

And from the Russian side, tons of info here on their space program.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

I also wanna say a few words about New Glenn. I like the idea of reusable rockets as it is a huge step towards the future and it is a good method of avoiding the increase of space junk. New Glenn is a fully reusable first stage rocket and it is designed for a minimum of 25 flights,

ReplyQuote
Janet Evans
(@janet-evans)
Petty Officer Registered

@robert55 I agree that it is important not to increase the amount of garbage. For this task, reusable rockets are a great option, but they also save money, which is important. One rocket making company has taken it upon itself to reduce the amount of space debris since the largest one 30 years ago. I think in the next 10 years this problem will become much smaller, because many people are working on it.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Janet Evans

ReplyQuote
Janet Evans
(@janet-evans)
Petty Officer Registered

@pinback At one time I dreamed about it. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Janet Evans
(@janet-evans)
Petty Officer Registered

Personally, my favorite Energia (launch vehicle) was an integral part of the Soviet reusable transport space system (MTKS) Energia - Buran, but, unlike the similar American MTKS Space Shuttle, it could be used autonomously to deliver cargo of large masses and dimensions to near-earth space, to the moon, planets of the solar system, as well as for manned flights, its creation was associated with Soviet plans for a wide industrial and military space exploration.

ReplyQuote