European Space Asso...

Notifications
Clear all

European Space Association and NASA are about to make a partnership

robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

NASA is going to make together with European Space Association one worthy project. The first-ever partnership of its kind is based on observing Earth and environmental issues. This campaign will be based on observing the Earth from space with the help of satellite technology in order to save the environment on Earth. Such kind of stuff will be observed like coral reefs, glaciers, and other things that are in danger now.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I thought countries were already doing this type of effort?

But still good news, the more eyes that are analyzing the data the better. But its what they do with this data that is important, because we already know there is a lot of over fishing going on which is harming a lot of sections of the ocean.

Kind of like what is done here in NH for logging.... NH is like 70% forested and we do have logging here but we also replant trees to not destroy the ecosystem.... countries have to try not to over fish... like what we do with hunting licenses your only allowed to hunt at specific times of the year a specific animal and your only allowed to kill so many per person.

USA is not perfect on this issue but we do have pretty good systems in place to help in preserving the land and sea.... its just getting everyone else on the same page that is the problem. Hopefully these hi-tech satellites can really show proof that we are destroying specific sections of ocean because of everyones over fishing and people finally do something about it.

Lets see what happens over the next few years

robert55 liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A question: how much of the world's food resources (land and sea) are turned into pet food?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thats a good question.... never really thought about that one.... hmmm to google I go...

Dogs and cats are responsible for a quarter of the greenhouse gas emissions caused by animal agriculture, according a new study out Wednesday, which adds up to a whopping 64 million tons of carbon-dioxide equivalent emitted in the production of their food.

US cats and dogs cause 25-30 percent of the environmental impact of meat consumption in this country. The nation's 163 million cats and dogs eat as much food as all the people in France. People should keep their pets -- and keep feeding them meat -- but there may be steps pet owners can take to reduce their environmental impact, says a researcher.

After reading what was at this link.... I really didn't know most of that happened for pet food: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Pet-Food.html

I only have a cat (that's only because my ex didn't want to take her) .... I have to admit I have really never thought about the impact on our food systems because of pets.... and when I was reading that just the USA has 150+ mil pets thats a lot of damn food that is being processed. I always knew that the remainders of food not sold to the humans were used to feed animals, I just never really knew the true scale of it all.

But I will definitely give this show a watch on Netflix soon....

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Plenty of food for thought there, if you'll forgive the pun. It's long been a bugbear of mine - there are millions of people starving in this world, yet pets (or should they be called comfort animals now?) are consuming vast amounts of resources.

For the record, I'm a cat person - but I'm no longer owned by one.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin 
Yes, such kind of project has already been used by some countries from Europe and another world. Some space agencies make such kind of satellite technology that observes the land and helps scientists in the environmental campaign.  https://dragonflyaerospace.com/

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I liked the idea of an environmental preservation campaign. Eventually, NASA is involved in a good and useful project. It`s a really worthy project and it is much better than the project of NASA where NASA is going to colonize Venus with some floating platforms.

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

These good news of partnership are coming. Thank you for bringing this to subject.

One more example: "NASA and ESA (European Space Agency) have finalized an agreement to collaborate on the Artemis Gateway".

The Space activities are prolific as never before, and the global partnerships should come and bring order.

robert55 liked
ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@majtom 
I liked this partnership too. I consider the environmental preservation projects are always worthy. Environmental issues are the things that must be paid attention to

MajTom liked
ReplyQuote