Large cave found on...

Notifications
Clear all

Large cave found on the moon

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/19/lunar-cave-discovery-raises-hopes-for-human-colonisation-of-moon

Looks interesting, its a shame we have done literally nothing in 50yrs after moon visit... C'mon people I want to visit there before I die 🙂

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

To be honest D1, either Neil, Buzz or Michael (or why not all 3) should have been moonbase commanders back in the 1970s. That's what we all thought at the time, but alas the powers at be were too focused on a pointless Cold War instead. 🙁
We should have kept that momentum we had back then, got the Russians onboard too, and now we would likely have a fully fledged multinational city up there. What a waste.....
Moonbase
What could have been eh?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. <sighs wistfully>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Indeed Cody! And it could have been, should have been even more Eagles landing up there, especially ones like these!

This post was modified 3 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

In fact going to the moon should have been an everyday occurrence by now with regular commuters going back and forth.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Drat! posted the wrong vid! 😮
I meant this one, cant edit my posts, sorry.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Instead of work for a real progress umanity does war and work like slaves for the big companies.
I think we will never colonize the space seriously, Mars landing it's only propaganda.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

But I hope the president can kickstart this program again and get us back out there I want to step on the moon before I die and not have it cost me a fortune.

I will try not to turn this into a political thread, but I think all that war talk is to cover up that the USA economy is going to crash soon and they need to blame it on something so if we get into a war we can blame the hard times on that instead of the greedy bastards that caused the whole situation 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @geraldine

We should have kept that momentum we had back then, got the Russians onboard too

<nods>

China and Russia have announced plans to build a lunar space station.

Had to happen, I suppose. BBC article here.

Landing a few people on the Moon again, without any plans to build a permanent base, was never a good policy.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

If, and it's a big IF, they ever get their act together, I am just sorry Neil Armstrong, Patrick Moore, Gerry Anderson, Carl Sagan and a whole host of others, are not around anymore to see it. That generation who were in power back then failed us. Lets hope the next generation fairs better. Oh! And Mars after that too!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

All this talk about going to Mars when really we should have had a moonbase years ago 🙂 I would have liked us too least do these simple things before I leave this life... we are slacking... closest I may get is video games 😉 There is so many positives to having a base on the moon especially since private companies want to go to Mars.... who knows... I think it will be companies like SpaceX to do it first it will be money that gets us exploring again

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @geraldine

If, and it's a big IF

If you can dream — and not make dreams your master
If you can think — and not make thoughts your aim
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

Posted by: @sscadmin

really we should have had a moonbase years ago

If you'd told me fifty years ago that by the time I was drawing my state pension there'd still be no base on the Moon, not even a farside observatory, I'd have laughed and called you crazy! Alas, if it ever happens it'll be too late for me!

Oolite Naval Attaché

DarkOne and Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

But I hope the president can kickstart this program again and get us back out there I want to step on the moon before I die and not have it cost me a fortune.

I think the setting up of a base on any planet or moon, at least at this stage in our development as a space faring race, ought to be a joint effort with countries pooling their resources together to create something unique, something that is, for example, not Russian, American or Chinese, but new in it's outlook and goals. If we settle on the Moon, we become "Moon Dwellers" or, my personal favorite, "Loonies" 😊 , settle on Mars, we become "Martians". I say this because although these settlers or colonists will remember and have close ties with mother Earth, they will have to come up with their own strategies for dealing with their environment. Adversity as they say, is the mother of invention, but it's also a way to build unique communities with it's own histories, their own feelings of being a single people, themselves alone, separate with an identity that is fully theirs. In time, they may even one day become "alien" to their forebears back on Earth. Lets hope we have overcome our penchant for war by then.......

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Geraldine

ReplyQuote