Space technology th...

Notifications
Clear all

Space technology that can help us save our environment

robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Have you heard about a special type of microsatellites that can observe environmental changes like sea level or melting of glaciers? With the help of that technology, scientists can approach the solution how to fight against global warming.

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

scientists can approach the solution how to fight against global warming.

I'm not too sure we can fight global warming, no matter how much money and science we throw at it. It may sound corny, but that snowball is already rolling - the increasingly rapid shrinkage of glaciers worldwide makes that abundantly clear. Are we past the proverbial tipping point? Quite probably! Perhaps we should instead be spending those trillions of dollars preparing for a worst-case scenario. Of course, politicians would have a difficult job selling that approach to the masses. But I fear that is what's needed - that, and getting a foothold off this planet.

Oolite Naval Attaché

robert55 liked
ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@cody
Yeah, you are absolutely right. But with the help of some space technology we can save our environment. For example, there are special kind of microsatellites that can track rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poachers
Researchers at the University of Oxford Wildlife Conservation Research Unit and Machine Learning Research Group, have combined satellite imagery with artificial intelligence capabilities, in order to detect and count African elephants
https://www.skyrora.com/post/using-satellites-to-detect-elephants-from-orbit

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I am more of a heavy handed type of person when it comes to poachers.... if any one is caught or there is damn good evidence of that event occurring we should be giving them individuals maximum punishment. We shouldn't be killing anything for a specific part of their body. I doubt we can go around tagging all the animals or posting surveillance on endangered animals, because the resource cost would be huge.

I know that fight is a tough one because most of this occurs at night, so catching these people in the act is very difficult. Maybe it will come to a time where the only way we can same some species is too quarantine the area off and not let humans in any more. Its like whales, we almost hunted them to extinction but countries are still hunting them regardless of the world ban on hunting them. This is a tough mission and probably can only be accomplished with either huge restrictions or very harsh punishment.

On climate..... I am not really a denier but science has proven over and over that Earth over millions of years goes through temperature changes and there has been periods where we didn't have glaciers at all. BUT this takes millions of years, and I doubt highly humans will be even a afterthought before a cycle finishes.... thats one thing us humans can stop is the passage of time, our lives are so very short when you take in the scope of these universal changes 🙂  

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

Activities, such as solar storms, strike from space much more frequently. These have a direct effect on electronic systems, especially satellite-based technologies.
Moreover, the burst of human-made satellites has created a space hazard of its own, as the loads of orbiting debris have the potential to destroy other satellites.
In the US both NASA and the U.S. Space Force tracks space debris, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration monitor space weather, Planetary Defense Coordination Office coordinates the search for potentially hazardous asteroids and other
near-Earth objects (NEOs).

The European Space Agency (ESA) has pulled all these activities together
under the umbrella of its Space Situational Awareness program.
The key should be in collecting all
the data together and handling it with the help of Data Science methods.

There are also good news: NASA and ESA (European Space Agency) are making partnership for several projects.
The Space activities are prolific as never before, and the global partnerships should come and bring order.

An example of the most living ideas of today. Cross co-operation of the Earth and Space needs:
- Synchronization and optimization of space facilities used and daily launched;
- Synergy of AI, and Machine Learning in particular development for both;
- Get valuable help from Space to the Earth disasters and overcrowding due to exponential
urbanization.
From Smart City to Smart Space.

ReplyQuote