Clear all

SpaceX to the Moon

Page 1 / 2

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Looks like NASA have chosen the SpaceX design for their return to the Moon.

Pulp sci-fi style rocketships to Luna - sweet!

Oolite Naval Attaché

andrax_iON
(@andrax_ion)
Crewman Registered

8~0

Have they figured out how to avoid 'rapid unscheduled disassembly' yet..?

(takes large step back from the queue..)

Last known location : –64° 00′ 11.0528″

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

So they going to land now, I though the 2024 was just a fly around the moon and what's happened to the station in the orbit of the moon, then the landing.

Have Nasa been panic into a landing by the Russian/Chinese joint moonbase announcement or are they just blowing hot air as usual with no intension of doing anything.   

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pinback

Have Nasa been panic into a landing by the Russian/Chinese joint moonbase announcement

Quite possibly!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

I'm just pleased to see a revived interest in space, better than sitting around and blowing things up on the planet with stupid wars. The future really is out there... if we have a future that is. Of course the motivation behind this does concern me, the last thing I want to see is another battlefield for us to bicker over.

In the end though, any step that advances our reach for the solar system (and beyond), gets a smile out of me. 

As for this...

Posted by: @andrax_ion

Have they figured out how to avoid 'rapid unscheduled disassembly' yet..?

I hope so, though we could start taking small wagers on it...

This post was modified 3 years ago by Gaius Konstantine

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

As far as I know Space X is going to make a lunar mission with the usage of the Starship. As for me it must be rather interesting project and Space X can test Starship before sending it to Mars, however, a lot of work needs to be done with Starship and will take some time to finish this spacecraft.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

If what I have seen is right then this moon ship is going to launch from the ISS, fly to the moon then do a one stage decent and landing. then take off and return to the ISS.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

That's how I think it'll happen too! It's gotta refuel somewhere. Can't wait to see a pic of it stood on the Moon!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Going to be a real Destination Moon moment, just need to put the astronauts in coloured space suits. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Going to be a real Destination Moon moment

The movie? Based on one of Heinlein's "juveniles" (and he co-wrote the screenplay).

It was one of his "juveniles" that first got me into reading sci-fi novels, age ten.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @cody

Going to be a real Destination Moon moment

The movie? Based on one of Heinlein's "juveniles" (and he co-wrote the screenplay).

It was one of his "juveniles" that first got me into reading sci-fi novels, age ten.

Yes the George Pal movie.

'sWorld

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

This message is a bit out of this thread but still, it`s connected with Space X and Starlink project. Till September 2021 Space X is gonna cover whole planet with Starlink internet connection and it`s gonna launch 42 thousand of satellites.

ReplyQuote
SashaM
(@sasham)
Crewman Registered

The UK has set up its space agency. To finance various scientific projects related to space research. Represents the interests of Great Britain in the field of space exploration in the international arena.

robert55 liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sasham

The UK has set up its space agency.

Next up, Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I just want some country to start a base on the moon.... you would have thought we would have done this 20-40yrs ago. hehe I remember reading and dreaming of all the stuff I would read in Popular Science back when I was a kid, I was so excited for the future and I thoroughly disappointed in what we have accomplished.

So whomever is the first to erect a staffed base on the moon there will definitely be a movie made about that .... Maybe Michael Bay can direct it 😉 haha

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @sasham

The UK has set up its space agency. To finance various scientific projects related to space research. Represents the interests of Great Britain in the field of space exploration in the international arena.

Thought they had already done this about ten years ago.

Mind you given our track record with space, I would not expect much although we are still the only country ever to have developed a rocket system, put a satellite in orbit, then thrown it all away. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

the only country ever to have developed a rocket system, put a satellite in orbit, then thrown it all away. 

Black Arrow - yeah, a shame that.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

@sasham 
Yes, UK takes an active part in the space exploration area. There is one company that makes different kinds of space technology like rockets, satellites, and microsatellites. https://www.skyrora.com/

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

I’d like to think of the lunar mission as an inevitable leap from the first steps to the 21st century.

1. NASA is developing and implementing key communication and navigation technologies to support robust exploration. These technologies include the use of GPS signals by spacecraft and lunar surface systems for navigation, optical communications technology to allow multi-gigabit data connections back to the Earth, and expanding the Internet architecture into space through Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN) standards and software.
  2. Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment (CAPSTONE) CubeSat to conduct early verification of the lunar near-rectilinear halo orbit (NRHO). The CubeSat to demonstrate how to enter into and operate in NRHO as well as test a new navigation capability.
  3. Work continues on technology development in the areas of precision landing, cryogenic fluid management & propulsion, intelligent/resilient systems and advanced robotics.
  4. The SpaceX Starship is a fully reusable launch and landing system designed for travel to the Moon, Mars, and other destinations.
  5. Science goals to be driven by U.S. and international science community priorities. Broad lunar-based science themes that can be addressed with human-robotic investigations on the Moon.
  6. Astronauts will test a wide set of new technologies, which could also be demonstrated at the long-duration operations on the Moon and Mars.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered

"SpaceX Starship will officially be the single solution for the first lunar landing mission under NASA’s Artemis program to return to the Moon. This comes after the US GAO backed the decision to use Starship as the lander, stating it didn’t break any laws with the selection. The space agency first announced its decision to land astronauts on the Moon with SpaceX in April, but legal protests from the Blue Origin-led National Team and Dynetics halted progress for the contract."

ReplyQuote
Janet Evans
(@janet-evans)
Petty Officer Registered

@sscadmin Yes, everything is a little slower than we thought and predicted to us. Another 10 years and your dream will soon become a reality.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

@janet-evans 

Haha I know, but we are getting to the point where I may need to start taking life extension drugs to see humans land on Mars 😉

Posted by: @majtom

• Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment (CAPSTONE) CubeSat to conduct early verification of the lunar near-rectilinear halo orbit (NRHO). The CubeSat to demonstrate how to enter into and operate in NRHO as well as test a new navigation capability.
  • Work continues on technology development in the areas of precision landing, cryogenic fluid management & propulsion, intelligent/resilient systems and advanced robotics.

I like these thoughts here 👍 

I think China's aspirations to land humans on the moon also spurred the USA into action @robert55 😉 Nothing like good ole competition to fuel discovery and exploration.

ReplyQuote
JackWhite
(@jackwhite)
Crewman Registered

That's all about hype and good that they did that. SpaceX is a pop culture, so from the business and attention point of view that was a right choice by NASA

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

Haha I know, but we are getting to the point where I may need to start taking life extension drugs to see humans land on Mars

At least one should find a possibility to save your DNA in the nearest research institute.
What if the technology of sending a robot with DNA and reconstructing a human with 3D printers will be faster ready to go.

ReplyQuote
JackWhite
(@jackwhite)
Crewman Registered

Posted by: @majtom
Posted by: @sscadmin

Haha I know, but we are getting to the point where I may need to start taking life extension drugs to see humans land on Mars

At least one should find a possibility to save your DNA in the nearest research institute.
What if the technology of sending a robot with DNA and reconstructing a human with 3D printers will be faster ready to go.

Robots with your DNA will not fully recreate you. There is a big part in the brain that responds to who you are. A lot of great people would not be who they were if there was different social/family/financial situation they had. The idea is cool, but if you want to recreate any person with DNA I think that would be not enough. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2