The emerging space ...

Notifications
Clear all

The emerging space technology

robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
In the modern world, science and technology are fast-growing things, and as we can see a lot of new space technologies are about to be produced or invented. Which one do you expect the most and which one do you think might be the most useful for humans or for space exploration?

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @robert55

... the most useful for humans or for space exploration?

Fusion - as in jazz/rock!

Oolite Naval Attaché

robert55 liked
ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I am waiting for some new propulsion system that will allow us making long space journeys, however, this kind of technology will not be invented in the nearest time I guess.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Also, I`d like to say a few words about 3d printing technology. This kind of technology has already been used in space exploration area and some parts for rocket engines have already been made with the help of 3d technology. Just imagine if in some time we are able to use more advanced 3d printing technology in space exploration.

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

I think, the nearest technologies to support Space exploration and processes handling (e.g. new launches, existing satellites coordination) are Machine Learning and Data Science. Actually they are already there but with a lot to go.

Also all the research that gives us zoom in to particles and make them work as a reliable system (e.g. quantum data manipulation, energy delivery) will bring new materials, new facilities for faster and more effective stepping forward.

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

Despite the emerging new 'pure' technologies, there is a list of already implemented and coming approaches.

The space technology purposes and applications are diverse and promising to be fruitful, as they should.

Here is a reference: space technology applications

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@majtom 
I like the way how microsatellites are developing now. It is the easier and cheaper way to send satellite technology in space for many different kinds of activity. Yes, the lifespan of these sats is not large enough and they just increase the number of space junk when their lifespan ends. However, I guess in some time scientists will find out how to make the term of usage of these sats longer. https://dragonflyaerospace.com/

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

@robert55 Yes, thanks for going wider.

Also eternal and fascinating ideas/steps:

- Ecologic fuel approaches;

- The Earth surveillance (purposed existing technology development);

- Waste-recycling;

- Synchronization and optimization of space facilities used and daily launched;

- Synergy of AI, and Machine Learning in particular development for both;

- Get valuable help from Space to the Earth disasters and overcrowding due to exponential urbanization. From Smart City to Smart Space.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Last of all, I wanna say that I am looking forward to some new technology that would help scientists clean our orbit from space junk the number of which became crucial now

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

Let me add some more drill-down results.

Despite the obvious advantages in the LEO launch race, the threat of growing orbit load became a fact. But still local reactive steps are discussed/planned to slow down the negative effects.

Pro’s:

• LEO connectivity can improve network infrastructure resilience for regions prone to natural disasters;
  • Competition should reduce broadband prices where LEO-based internet service is permitted;
  • LEO constellations will improve satellite internet quality, expanding the applications and services that can be used;
  • Expanding LEO constellations are benefiting other space technologies, services;
  • The regularity of the launches uncovers drawbacks, gives more data for analysis and proactive control, pushes the technology and collaboration (all of the Global technology fields, including surveillance and communication, and corresponding agencies are involved).

Con’s:

• Currently, there is not any common international regulations, Outer Space Treaty, designates the exploration and use of space as “the province of all mankind”;
  • Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee (IADC), representing 13 space agencies, indicated that direct re-entry at the end of a satellite’s operational life was preferred but nevertheless only recommended that deorbiting conclude within 25 years;
  • Mega-constellation operators and their regulators could respond that they are exercising the right to explore and use space without discrimination, however, the use of slots in geostationary orbit is mediated by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), which does not play the same role in LEO.

Concluding:

• Radio astronomy is threatened, sky surveys and observations close to the horizon, especially near sunrise and sunset, are especially vulnerable;
  • However, new analysis methods could mitigate some of these effects, but data loss is inevitable, increasing the time needed for each study and limiting the overall amount of science done;
  • There are reasons for hope. SpaceX is showing some leadership with rapid end-of-life deorbiting, automatic collision avoidance, and visors to reduce light pollution, even if these are not yet sufficient;
  • Spacefaring countries, moreover, recognize that debris threatens all satellites, including military satellites;
  • NASA and ESA partnership hopefully bring tangible contribution for the near and far time solutions.

ReplyQuote