The most advanced s...

Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 percent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

The most advanced space craft of the recent tim

robert55
(@robert55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

What was the most advanced space craft of the recent time that surprised you the most? As you can see technology nowadays is a fast developing thing and a lot of stuff have been invented for the recent time that can make a scientific breakthrough. What was the most special for you?

Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Master Chief Reporter

Honestly? I'm not impressed with anything in any current inventory. 

When I was young and watched the moonlandings, I thought by now we would have progressed much further. While it is true that technology is now advancing at a rapid pace, spacecraft design, especially manned, hasn't really evolved all that much. Yes, we have more sophisticated computers, filtration systems, environmental systems, etc, but the "crafts" themselves leave much to be desired.

Perhaps though it is on account of my own poor assessment of where we should be. In a sense, when I witnessed the moon landings occur less than ten years after the first manned craft reached space, I likened it to what occurred when Orville and his brother first flew. Within a few decades we went from a few seconds of flight to the beginning of the jet age, I expected the same in space.

But Gemini and Vostok, (the first crafts in space), were not analogous to the first airplane, because that wasn't when man first took to the skies. Those craft could have been considered the space version of hot air balloons, meaning we still have some way to go before we see something that can carry humans to other planets. Probes aside, and un-manned vehicles...wake me up when we get a crew to Mars. More importantly, tell me what they used to get there, that will impress me.

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have been very impressed with SpaceX's work around these rockets that can either be remotely controlled or they have the AI to land at a special point. Makes me wonder if we can do that, why the heck don't we have some sort of base on the moon instead of a station in orbit? 

robert55 liked
ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
I would like to mention the Parker Solar Probe. Simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Also,  would say the Dawn Probe. It uses an advanced ion thruster, allowing it to be the first (man-made) spacecraft to orbit multiple non-terrestrial bodies (Vesta and Ceres). This feat would not be possible (practical) using conventional chemical thrusters, which have too low of a specific impulse.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Last of all, I wanna say a few words about a spacecraft made by small but promising space company from Scotland and the name of this spacecraft is SkyHy. The term ``hybrid`` has been given to this rocket because it combines solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser. https://www.skyrora.com/skyhy

This post was modified 1 month ago by robert55

ReplyQuote