Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Upgrading there PC's this year?

Anonymous
Topic starter  

There is going to be a few new games we can play this year like JGE and Black Prophecy anyone plan on using some Tax Return $$$ to upgrade their rig?

I think all I need is a 2GB more memory to make 4GB and maybe upgrade my gfx card to a ATI 4870x2 and possibly Windows7 if it is out near the end of the year. Think my dual core will last another year or maybe I might just drop a dual core in since prices have dropped.

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
I think all I need is a 2GB more memory to make 4GB and maybe upgrade my gfx card to a ATI 4870x2 and possibly Windows7

I do not know what are your specs, but here what I did: I had a Core 2 Duo E6600, with a Gigabyte motherboard, 2 GB of Ram, and an ATI 1950 XTX. I usually play my games at 1680X1050 resolution. I bought a new cooler for the Core 2 Duo for about 35 euros and got rid of the stock one. I was able to overclock my processor from 2.4 GHz to 3.15 GHz. (And I do not have to keep the machine overclocked the whole time. I can switch frequences through the BIOS). I also bought a 4 GB ram kit, since I have a 64bit partition (BTW Vista 64 are WAY better than Vista 32), and a new ATI 4870 with 512 DDR5 (I think). I spent nearlly 350 euros (you can save nearly a 100 euros if you buy an ATI 4850), and now I can play Fallout 3 with ultra high settings, 4xAA and 8xAF.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

I just read the other day about the AMD Phenom II is going to be a overclockers dream. People are talking about getting stable clock at 5-6+ ghz and the top chip is under $500 right now. That is really amazing and if it is a stable chip it will give Intel a run for its money on there i7. Top i7's are over $1000 and out of the range of the average pc user.

I would love to upgrade but I don't think I will be able to do it this year. Maybe small things like memory but whole system rebuilds I don't think so. I bought the 32bit version of Vista because people said it was still extremely buggy and didn't have a lot of driver support. Is that still now and game you game ok in 64bit Vista?

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Is that still now and game you game ok in 64bit Vista?

I have installed a few games, (Fallout 3, Hellgate London, & Sacrifice), and work fine.

Quote:
I just read the other day about the AMD Phenom II is going to be a overclockers dream. People are talking about getting stable clock at 5-6+ ghz and the top chip is under $500 right now. That is really amazing and if it is a stable chip it will give Intel a run for its money on there i7. Top i7's are over $1000 and out of the range of the average pc user.

You better spend more money on a graphics card. (250 euros for an ATI 4870 is fine, if you play game at a 1680X1050 resolution). And another 250 for a multi-core processor. Anything more expensive is an overkill.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Yeah I might wait until next year to upgrade my PC. I have yet to play anything that has really made my machine cry mercy yet. But prices are dropping on a lot of this good hardware and the software cannot keep up. When did you ever think that you would have a 1 terabyte drive in you PC..... and for under $100 at that. Man how times have changed.

ReplyQuote