Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Bargain Hunt

Page 4 / 5

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Have had a few problems with triple A games not working over the years, Fallout 3 and Xcom spring to mind. and always annoying when the big devs/publishers acknowledge the problem but don't think it worth fixing.

It's the main reason I only buy these triple A game occasionally on the PC, Anyhow I thought I would take a punt and Steam say it will take 1 day and 6 hours to download...……………………..Damn it I'm buying the console version. 🙂

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Have had a few problems with triple A games not working over the years, Fallout 3 and Xcom spring to mind. and always annoying when the big devs/publishers acknowledge the problem but don’t think it worth fixing.

You can always check the following link for workarounds:

PCGamingWiki

It's a game saver!!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice one CaptainKal, think Xcom may work now as I'm using a different computer.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Steam is giving away Space Pilgrim Ep 1 for free for a short time, so check it out and post if you like or dislike the game...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/429470/Space_Pilgrim_Episode_I_Alpha_Centauri/

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Is that Steam sale on this week, I feel the need to buy games I may never play. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @pinback

I feel the need to buy games I may never play.

<grins> Retail therapy - it works! Even though I already have two suits, I bought another in a lockdown sale!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Is that Steam sale on this week, I feel the need to buy games I may never play. 🤣 

Haha, I think I am a poster child for buying way too many games that I will probably never play. Looks like the Steam sale will start on the 23rd.

I did complete a game yesterday, it only came out in 2014.... I guess I am not doing too bad I completed it 7yrs after it came out 🙂 Nevermind the small post on Torchlight2 that came out in like 2012 and I just finished playing that one ... so a game I buy in 2021 looks like I will get around too it around 2028 hahaha

I think this year I will have over 800 games in my steam library, thats not counting the other digital platforms. I think steam needs to have the ability to will your games to someone... because there is no way I will ever complete all these before I leave this earth unless life extension technology really starts kicking in and hopefully I can not get arthritis.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Same here but my 800+ are physical games. 🧐 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

my 800+ are physical games

Haha where do you keep them all, must take up a whole room. 

The steam sale should start any day now.... I think I need a support group I am addicted to buying games I will take years to play 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I have a man cave 🤣 but my game collection is on the small side compared to some who have thousands of games.

An addiction, you hit the nail on the head their, I watch a lot youtuber and you have to wonder why they buy some the games that they show in their pickup videos. 

Theirs even one guy who collected Amiga games and freely admitted not to playing them but seems more interested in getting a nice box copy of the game to put on a shelves. 🤣 🤣  

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I have a man cave

Is it the cupboard under the stairs?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Man... I still haven't played some of the games I picked up during the last mass sale. TBH, I hardly ever pick up anything full price anymore as I know it will be offered at a discount shortly. Hmm, sort of like the discount is actually the normal price. 

On a serious note

I'm considering this, and it is only the arcade style combat that is putting me off https://www.gog.com/game/starcomnexus

Has anyone tried it?

Also

Stay away from this https://www.gog.com/game/helium_rain

I am going to absolutely lambaste this one when I get around to doing another review.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @cody

I have a man cave

Is it the cupboard under the stairs?

Harry potter style. 🤣 

I found Helium Rain had the most difficult docking since Elite and I be interested to see why you dislike it so much. 

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

I'm considering this, and it is only the arcade style combat that is putting me offhttps://www.gog.com/game/starcomnexus

Has anyone tried it?

I really like it!! For 10 euros you cannot go wrong!!!

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

I found Helium Rain had the most difficult docking since Elite and I be interested to see why you dislike it so much

Well pinback, that docking you mention is a start. We can do better than that IRL so it put me off instntly. The short of it is this.

A concept that has been done numerous times and far better

An economic model that is pretty dysfunctional

Horrid color scheme

Controlling the ship could be better.

ETC

I just think it was an un-original concept that was executed poorly and displeasing to the eye. I know, it's subjective, someone else may love it... and I tried to like it, but I just can't.

Posted by: @captainkal

I really like it!! For 10 euros you cannot go wrong!!!

Thanks captainkal, that's good enough for me. The exploration sounds intriguing and I've been considering it for a while. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

As I recall Helium Rain leaned more to the simulation side of gameplay and the economic model was a supply and demand one, which put me off the game.(too much like an X game)

I thought the graphics were very much inspired by 2001 inless they changed them later on and like the idea of the game taking place around one planet.

will have to redownload it and have another look at it, but as you say these thing are very much subjective.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

and like the idea of the game taking place around one planet.

More of a single system if memory serves, which I also liked in principle, but hated the way it was enforced, you simply ran into an invisible wall. Did you ever play Star Fury? It was the sim version of the Space Empires Universe, you controlled a single ship (good game but very dated). In that game if you attempted to exit a system by not using a worm-hole, your travel time basically went to centuries, so you simply headed back to within system borders. It was very effective at enforcing the concept without destroying immersion. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine
Did you ever play Star Fury? It was the sim version of the Space Empires Universe,

Yes I have played it but not extensively and the only thing I recall about it was that the ship was on 2D plane and you had to come to complete stop in order to turn.

In another vain attempt to put the thread back on track, GOG is offering the Shadowrun  trilogy for free if you sign upto a newsletter but only until Monday.

And it's great to see in the Steam sale that "Space" and "scifi" have their own section now.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

and the only thing I recall about it was that the ship was on 2D plane and you had to come to complete stop in order to turn.

That is incorrect. Combat was very similar to Starfleet command, and in keeping with the spirit of the thread, it too is on discount here https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_starfleet_command_gold_edition (I actually played the board version once upon a time)

GOG is offering the Shadowrun  trilogy for free if you sign upto a newsletter

Saw it pinback, but I passed on it, even if it is free...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Could have sworn that Star Fury ship only moved on one axis, no up and down, but as I said it was a while ago that I played it and I may be thinking about something else.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Could have sworn that Star Fury ship only moved on one axis, no up and down, but as I said it was a while ago that I played it and I may be thinking about something else.

I'm sorry, my bad pinback, I should have been more specific.

Combat is a 2D plane, one axis only... except for your autonomous fighters (loved building Cruisers with a couple of those on board). You also did not need to come to a complete stop to turn. Now, I'll apologize once again for derailing the thread 😊 ... again.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Bought a few games during the sale.... 

- Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

- Space Hulk: Deathwing w/DLC

- Greedfall w/ Expansion

- Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

I think you will love "Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak". Not only it's a fine strategy game, but it ties well with the original Homeworld. After playing Kharak, the introduction of Homeworld felt like a documentary, about my expedition!! It sent shivers down my spine!!!!  

This post was modified 3 years ago by CaptainKal

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Posted by: @captainkal

I think you will love "Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak". Not only it's a fine strategy game, but it ties well with the original Homeworld. After playing Kharak, the introduction of Homeworld felt like a documentary, about my expedition!! It sent goosebumps up my spine!!!!  

Well its been many years since I played the Homeworld games and to be honest I don't remember the storyline. So going into the RTS game I will definitely pay attention to the story and then look to play the remakes of Homeworld after that too bring it all together 😉 Thanks for the heads up on this one, been looking forward to checking this one out and couldn't pass it up for $5 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Ultima Underworld 1&2, Syndicate Plus and Syndicate Wars are free on GOG until the 3 of September.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5