Notifications
Clear all

Dragon Age: Origins

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I was thinking about getting this game for my PC and was wondering if anyone in the community is playing this game? From the forums and reviews looks to be a great game and I was particularly looking forward to playing with the great mod tools BioWare gave the pc community.

And if anyone can tell me is it worth getting the collectors version for the DLC content?

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I thought there was some re-playability, don't you get to play 5-6 different character story archs? And with those mod tools there should be some great community content soon.

You didn't like the KOTOR1/2 system? I thought those games were pretty good. Is combat like the KOTOR games or more fast paced?

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

Combat's about the same, click/wait/click/wait. Totally agree with farcodev about the lack of immersion too. Damn I miss Oblivion... 😥

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Darkone wrote:
I thought there was some re-playability, don't you get to play 5-6 different character story archs?

Unfortunatly, Ive played several of those arcs. I bought the game for my sis, and she got hooked, she's a traditional type of RPGer. (Boulder's Gate, NWN, etc. etc.) The problem is that each arc is about half an hour, and they all end up at the same point, with you leaving home and saving the world. (Sorry if I ruined it for anyone.) So while the beginnings are varied, it all ends up the same. Frankly, the replayability is near zero, with each confrontation being the same and combat being very VERY strategic, and as a result not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong its a FANTASTIC game, and worth a rental to see if you like, but its very much an 'old school' rpg with a tactical combat system. Great story, just no replayability, and little or no choices on what you want to do. (Maybe I want to just rob people, and NOT save the world? What then? Play Oblivion? Ok.)

We all sound biased here, because as a rule most of us Elite/ space sim players deeply enjoy the sense of 'Freedom' and 'Exploration' that space sims provide, sadly, neither of these show up in Dragon Age.

Ok. Rant done. Back to EV Nova.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah, playing the dwarf right now and expected the story arcs for the other characters would be this way. I will play through another just to see the differences myself. But DA:O would be epic if all arcs were totally separate games.

I have high hopes for Fallout: Las Vegas. They said they were going to make it more open world. I just want them to make lvl cap at like 50 or unlimited.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

🙂

Tis' not to be.

I played the human noble, and then the city elf. Everyone treats the elf a bit different, but after becoming a warden, its all the same game.

ReplyQuote
Grimloon
(@grimloon)
Petty Officer Registered

I've recently finished Origins and Awakening and agree about the lack of replay value. I can't see myself playing through it again any time soon. Maybe in 6 months or so.

I'm not knocking the game, I'm very much a traditional RPG player, but it just feels a touch lacking compared to previous offerings from Bioware. NWN is one of my all time favourites, I'm still playing NWN2 as well and while Dragon Age may look prettier it just doesn't quite seem as good.

It does have some nice touches - the tactics side of things is truly beautiful once you get to grips with it and you can then play it more as an action RPG rather than pause-command-pause etc. The third person view is useful though, I'd hate to try playing it 1st person as a melee class.

Incidentally, I've played all 5 beginnings and you do, as IronHound said, end up at the same place. However, it does change the game a little bit later on but mostly in cosmetic ways. I definitely don't regret playing it but still can't help wishing it had been NWN3 instead...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah I am working my way through the game still as the Dwarf. No too much time to play it all the time but I spend a few hours a week playing and really enjoy the story. I would have to agree with the combat I like all the skills and 3rd person view and the interface is done well enough that it doesn't effect the overall experience.

I was so hoping for different experiences by picking different races and actually upset that BioWare did this especially since they really advertised the 6 different adventures aspect of the game. All the DLC should be free for their mis-advertising the game.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

😯

Oh! and put off the expansion off for a bit. Spent $40 and my family member beat it in a day. I'd wait until it goes down in price

ReplyQuote