Notifications
Clear all

From Bedrooms to Billions: The Amiga Years

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Looks like there is a documentary being made about the Amiga and how it changed gaming.

Check out the kickstater here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195082866/from-bedrooms-to-billions-the-amiga-years

I would have to agree that the Amiga was too advanced for its time and was kicking the crap out of the PC. If Amiga would have won that battle what would gaming be like today? I have a lot of fond memories playing on my A500 and talk about unique games there was so many games and not the rinse and repeat of sequels we seem to be in these days. Now I play Amiga games on a emulator and just wish that someone could re-kickstart the Amiga and make it a great computer and gaming platform that was cheap like they did in the 80's and 90's.

Favorite publisher of those days was Psygnosis they made some seriously great games.

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Interesting. I hope they make it as it would be nice to see an in-depth documentary about the Amiga. Its importance not only in gaming but in computing in general was immense. Many of the functions we take for granted today in our PCs were pioneered by the Commodore engineers.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I would like to see some thing covering the post Commodore years ie 94 to about 2000 lot of interesting things happened to the Amiga which as far as I know no one has ever covered.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

As a member or PCMR since basicaly ever, I'd say:

I would have to agree that the Amiga was too advanced for its time and was kicking the crap out of the PC. If Amiga would have won that battle what would gaming be like today?

The same. PC won for couple of years (because piracy), to lose it to consoles in early 2000s (because piracy).

I have a lot of fond memories playing on my A500 and talk about unique games there was so many games and not the rinse and repeat of sequels we seem to be in these days.

Making games was cheaper, so when your game flopped, there weren't millions of dollars and fate of hundreds of people at stake. Now publishers play it safe. Fortunately, thanks to KS and Steam everyone can try change their crazy idea into a game.

Not that there wasn't indie scene earlier, but compared to what happened since 2012...

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

My first computer was an amiga 500 and i was 10 years old. I spent a lot of time on that fantastic computer not only to play but also with many interesting programs. Amiga was on the top, i always ask myself how they loosed while apple (that used the same processors) became a giant. In my opinion Commodore made some mistakes, for example the amiga 600 was a flop, amiga 3000 and 4000 too much expensive and there weren't games for them.

Mass market pc is ruled by players, if a pc platform has lot of games it will be diffused quickly.

Now x86 tecnology is a standard for all things, even consoles are x86 and based on pc's components. The era of differents machines with their caracteristics is finished. This is bad because there isn't a real choice but it's better for developers and this is very important.

Anyway a remake of amiga 500 it's fantastic for retrogamers...last week i turned on my old amiga 500 and played Sidewinder a shoot 'em up game. Lot of memories...

Thinking on a really new amiga pc with new components it's hard because it's very difficult to create a new standard capable to conquer the mass market dominated by x86 pc's and apple. But it's my dream...

About the developers...psignosis was one of my favorites...who remember Agony?

And what about Team 17? They made Alien Breed and Project x.

I loved also Altered Beast and golden axe and Starglider 2....a very interesting space sim.

ReplyQuote
Straker
(@straker)
Senior Chief Registered

/me gives his Amiga 1000 a hug.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I just wish I kept mine I sold it quite a few years back and kind of regret it now. So I can't hug mine 🙁

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Aww D1 nevermind. Go look at the background on my profile page on here, it will give you a laugh!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Ah the Amiga ball was awesome.... I remember when I first saw that demo of it and I was so amazed that a computer was doing that.

ReplyQuote