(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Team Name

Digital Brilliance Software

Project name

Galaxy Empire III

Brief description

Galaxy Empire is a futuristic game based on a continuation of the story from the previous two games by the same name. It is a mix of FPS and space based arcade simulation. The single player side will be an open-ended and story based missions to discover what happened to a previous set of colonist who left many years before. It will also deal with current colonies that are disappearing as well. The MP side will be mostly open-ended with the option of player's to complete missions similar to the SP mode.

Target aim

The single player software will be free. The server software will not. It will also consist of a global server which will not be sold, this is to keep out illigitimate servers since there is no direct connect option.

Compensation

None for the time being, that will change later if the server starts selling.

Technology

DirectX 9 is the base renderer using HLSL 3. This is so the game can be played on Windows XP and later versions of Windows. The game is being built from the ground up, it does not use anyone else's game engine. Content within the game is based on freely available tools such as XnView or wordpad. All content is scripted in through plain text INI files. Models are currently based on the .x format with a custom format later on.

Talent needed

Intermediate to advanced content developers

Beginners can help but if your work is sub-par it won't be included

* Voice acting - adult only, there are no children in the game

* UV mappers - many of the stations have not been mapped

* Texturers - ranging from sky boxes to model texturing, no pixilated art will be needed

* Writers - storylines, NPC interactions, cut-scenes etc.

* Modellers - many areas of the game will need models, already have a few good ship models

* Testers - for giving feedback only, anyone is welcome here

Team structure

Lead developer - Lancer Solurus (as in me)

Voice acting - Isaak Wells

Website

Galaxy Empire

Contact

gaming -at- digitalbrilliance -dot- com or use PM by clicking on my name

Previous work by team

GE 1 and 2, tons of utilities for Freelancer, major mod as well, 30+ years of programming, too many to list

Isaak - His portfolio site

Additional info

This game is still in the initial development stage. Due to the massive nature of the project it will take some time to develop everything. It is based far into the future and the in-game design will reflect this. It is part mystery, sci-fi and story telling. Additional areas will be added such as full modding support and automatic updating of said mods. The main part of the game will be from the player's POV but there will be additional support for empire building. Procedural generation may be used for making non-scripted areas of the galaxy.

normal_FFGEF.jpg

normal_FFGAWF.jpg

normal_SpiderStation.jpg

normal_Detail3Txtr02.jpg

Feedback

Constructive criticism is welcome, feedback just saying the game sucks will be ignored. That type of feedback does not help any project and I consider it trolling.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Last time I played with Galaxy Empire it was about 2 yrs ago. Looks like it has received a facelift and the project is expanding. Wish I had more free time to lend a hand LancerSolurus but I don't.

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! Yes, this is a completely new rewrite from scratch. Ran into a fatal flaw a little after a year into building it. It limited the users ability to take over abandoned ships and meant I would have had to rewrite most of the player code anyways. The fixed fuction pipeline had become a major hindrance as well, especially considering tht DX 10 & 11 were shader based only. If I ever upgraded I would have had to remake the entire render engine except for the clones (it's a shader).

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Some of the new planets added into the game, click the image for a larger view...

normal_NewPlanets001.jpg

normal_NewPlanets002.jpg

normal_NewPlanets003.jpg

normal_NewPlanets004.jpg

normal_NewPlanets005.jpg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

That 2nd pic is really nice work, is those clouds in the 3rd pic a skybox or are they generated and moving?

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@ Darkone It's just a simple skybox. The game supports both sphere and box skies.

@ Aero - this is recommended but not the lowest

DX 9 video card with shader 3.0 support (required)

2 gigs memory

dual core processor

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looking good Lancersolurus.

How do you intened to stop the player from wandering all over the planet or can you do that in the game.

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I haven't set any boudaries on the maps, at the present time you can even walk off the edge of the map. I will take awhile to get there though, the surface is 120k units squared.

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Here is a couple of new screenshots showing the new atmosphere shader, click on image for full size...

normal_Atmosphere.jpg

Atmosphere/ring test

normal_AstRing.jpg

Test surface mesh from Stalker (Agroprom) ~90k polys (holes are missing mesh parts)

normal_HipolyLand.jpg

Alpha-discard shader test

normal_Alphatest.jpg

Sun Crespular (God) Rays Made With An Inverted Atmosphere

normal_CrespularAtmosphere.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Like the atmosphere ring test very cool to be able to fly a ship though it. 😎

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hehe, thanks! Not only can you fly thru them, you can also blaze a trail thru them using your guns. Once I get the loot code added in they will also drop stuff that can be collected and sold. The trigger is already active, just the coding is missing.

The shapes of the clones and cloud layouts supports multiple formats such as box, sphere, sphere shell, ring and more.

ReplyQuote