Notifications
Clear all

Is the pc dead

Page 2 / 3

GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

As i have said before being a `console jockey` i have enjoyed all of the new console formats over the last 20 years, but as good as the games are they are developed for the masses,the casual gamer, so most of the games lack any depth and complexity so they can be picked up and played by anyone which makes them shallower.this is the problem.example...like mstar games space pirates from tomorrow on 360 indie, dr.mistry admitted he had made it simpler to play so as not to alienate any of the console players. i recon if he had developed it for the PC i would have been a hell of a lot more complex and deeper shall we say! that's what gives desk top gaming the edge, look at all the half decent console games, rts, 1st person shooters, mmo`s, e.c.t they have all been copied from home computer games and made more aesthetically pleasing and easier to play to Joe public. that's why Ive returned to the PC for my space gaming, they aint nothing on the consoles worth playing over more than once in this genre, and sandbox and free roaming space games are non existent!i think console games as a metaphor are ` a snack or junk food ` but if you want a proper healthy 3 course meal of a game you need to go PC!!!! and that's coming from some one who is green to the PC scene and has hammered away at console games most his life! LONG LIVE THE COMPUTER AND BIG BOYS SOFTWARE THAT IS PART AND FABRIC OF THE GAMING SCENE!!! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Hear hear, Gunsmif! (Lovin' the profile avatar pic! Kryten rules!)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

You know I think consoles can handle most of the more complex games,after all Elite,Frontiers,Starflight and Star control 2 all had console versions.Its seems to be the publisher/developers who dont think theres a market for this sort of game.

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

For sure!!the 360 would be a fantastic platform for elite 4 and all the space games. they just wont spend the development time and money just in case little Dylan spoiled boy cant `do it` so his mum has to take it back to the shop and swap it for Ben ten or Pokemon 😆 which ive seen fist hand working for a well known GAME`s store ahem. so untill they do ill enjoy my cod4 e.c.t on 360 and go to my p.c for some thing more substantial, and probably old 🙄

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Pc dead no, PC is common device for pesonal development. So a must have. If you want to profile yourself on the work market.

So Casual stuf like flash games is realy big on PC. Because any PC even very old once comply to spects. So Pc compete strong agians iphone retrogaming on wii etc. but that won't interrest hardcore gamers. The hardcore market. Well most games are cross platform. most bad ports are often just clones. Rushed movie ip stuf, etc.

The triple AAA titles often have the better ports. There exception offcourse. Not all console games are hit's. hits are rare.

And those ports some of them support Pc nextgen tech. Today thats DX11 physX 3D vision.

So PC is alive. The distribution shift from retail shop to retail online and digital distributen. So statistic may fool you. . And there is also online import.

Piracy is still the same on PC. It's since the Analog telephone modem a problem.

I'ts that Xbox360 and especialy the PS3 do well agianst piracy. Note not stop it completly! Mostly because there online infra is central. Steam on PC shows also better result agians piracy. But a small part of games are distibuted that way.

So for publisher is the bigger paying consumer market interresting, that xbox360 and PS3.

DS PSP have the same problem as PC to much piracy.

So the only way to kill the PC market is to take away all other uses for it. PC is a common multifunctional device. For gaming you need $/€ S50 to 150 aditional or bit bit budged shift to a bit better Gcard.

So dead no. it's more console have the main attention of publishers. So wenn Console didn't had the main attention they wheren't dead either.

I also think that to detect dead on a platform like PC. It would be if Retail midrange and high-end G-card market dissapeare. Unless IGP onboard grhapics get so powerfull it competes with consoles. Wich make Pc even more accessable for game-ing

ReplyQuote
LordCrusare
(@lordcrusare)
Crewman Registered

PC isn't dead.

In our country, there are still dedicated PC gaming shops, they are full of games, and they make a living off of it. It all depends on which shop you walk into and what is the attitude towards gaming in your country overall.

Also, companies like Blizzard entertainment will always keep PC alive (so far their projects have been mainly focused on PC and Mac), and they provide a quality of games that nobody feels would be appropriate to torrent (buggy internet gaming, or no internet gaming at all then, which is, of course a downside when it comes to such titles as StarCraft for example).

And then again, check out the store of Steam, and the millions of sales per game. Yeah, millions. No kidding. Even such nonsense as AudioSurf created in an unprofessional game maker thing with little effort made its creators extremely rich. Also, Steam stuff are difficult to crack (not impossible, but difficult), an effort that cracking teams not always like to undertake, therefore online retailing certainly means a profit for all companies.

Then there are those games you just can't play on consoles, such as RTS classics, competitive FPS games, and I know some of these are available on consoles as well, but its like watching the movie of your life on your cellphone. It's just not the same.

PC gaming will not die for a long time.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Very good point LordCrusare.

It's just sad to see when I go into a EB Games or Gamestop and it takes a minute to find the PC games and you come to a small bookcase worth of games. And of course not a large selection they have just the new releases mainly. Right now the only other place that actually sells a good selection of PC games least around where I live is Best Buy.

It is great to see Steam and Direct2Drive type sites selling PC games in large volumes but I like so many other gamers I am a box style gamer where I like to hold what I buy and sometimes it is a shame everything is going electronic download.

ReplyQuote
LordCrusare
(@lordcrusare)
Crewman Registered

This is what Amazon is for 😉 . I always order my games from that site, because like you, I like to hold the box of the final product in my hands.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Quote:
This is what Amazon is for . I always order my games from that site, because like you, I like to hold the box of the final product in my hands.

Oh, I'm TOTALLY with you on this, LordCrusare. While digital is nice and convenient and all, nothing beats the sight of a shelf full of games or the control you have over them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Some vid from the project Natel for the 360,now if you could put together that control system

and Cameron's 3d tec WOW. 😮 😯 😀

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

YEEEEEEUUUUK!!!!! that vid is pure cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese get a grip microsoft.

Great tecnology though. but i thought the idea of gaming was basically escapism??

that makes it look like you have to be good at a certain phisical activity to play i.e scateboarding or soccer. does that mean if you suck at some thing in real life you would in the game?? All so its like playing mario kart on the wii using the wheel, looks great and is fun, but if you want real full controll youve gotta use the nunchuk and remote/proper controlls. can any body remember steel batalion for xbox?? now that would be cool if some one made a pc space sim with a controll system like that!

.... point made back to topic........ 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I don't think you need to use any sort of controller in the future,They could take a game like world of

warcraft add some thing like Natel to it then you would have to fight your opponent with a

plastic sword or a broom stick 😆 ,or a street fighter game where you have to punch.Then again

there could be a lot game related injuries in the future. 😆

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

PINBACK wrote:
I don't think you need to use any sort of controller in the future

Then again there could be a lot game related injuries in the future. 😆

You could skip the controller AND avoid injuries by using the tech from Avatar:

[hsimg] http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/26-100-006-S01?$S640W$ [/hsimg]

Watch for Brain Controlled Gaming... another first-report from SSC!

ReplyQuote
Mogymog
(@mogymog)
Petty Officer Registered

The PC will never die off for gaming. I hate console gaming for the most part. Specialy FPS, and RTS games. I own a PS2, and a wii. The wii is mainly my brothers cause he likes Mario and we play family games. The PS2 is the last real console I got for playing real games like FinalFantasy and such. The new consoles have nothing I need, and if I really wanna see what the games like, ill go watch LP's of it. And even if PC gaming did 'die' off. There are already so many thousands of PC games, you could never run out of things to play on your PC. Some games are always good for a few hundred playthroughs. =P

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Bullwinkle wrote:

[hsimg] http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/26-100-006-S01?$S640W$ [/hsimg]

Watch for Brain Controlled Gaming... another first-report from SSC!

Amazing looks like some one finally got around to making the old Atari idea.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/c ... dlink.html

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

PINBACK wrote:

Amazing looks like some one finally got around to making the old Atari idea.

The most amazing thing is that it works.

The reviews are almost comical to read. There are a few knuckle-heads who complain that it takes time to learn how to use it (Duh!), but the most amazing review is from the partially-paralyzed guy who uses the Neural Impulse Activator (NIA) in the picture. He says that he can game competitively with his friends when he uses the NIA.

I imagine that is a life-changing advance for someone with impaired mobility. For a mere hundred bucks; that has to be the bargain of the century.

You will probably recall Clint Eastwood's experience with a similar device in Firefox. He stole the MiG-31 prototype (still during the Cold War) and had to think in Russian in order to fire a missile. It is hard enough to think in Russian, but using a prototype neural interface without training or practice is impressive -- especially at "Mach 6" with enemies shooting at him. But that's what we love about Clint... if anyone can do it, he can. 🙂

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

PC won't die in the near future cause the games that play on it have way more depth than console games, my 2 cents.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Any one else noticed that smaller branches of game station have stopped selling pc games

ReplyQuote
HeadClot
(@headclot)
Crewman Registered

NO the PC is not dead and never will be till this happens...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hahah... damn straight. I want a Microsoft Surface 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
HeadClot wrote:
NO the PC is not dead and never will be till this happens...

The future of your desktop.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

sarcastic is the right word

they freely talk about "oh cost you ten thousend $ to do this and that useless thing"

what a big "mischthuufä"

Microsoft, theren not only megalomaniac, there even proud of beeing it! 😈

and the PC was dead before it was born imo.

fortunatly their crappy software and especially what we (have to) use as base for it will never reach that point.

that's exactly what i hate MS for, taking their mouth to full since the very beginning, hey Bill promised us back in the early 90's a computer fully multitasking capable, still they didn't reached the goal (unreachable) with intel x86 based chips, it's a question of overaged physics (60 years by now, developed to control simple waving machines). they just feared to use better because they feared to loose their monopol. still any PC halts when a drive has a i/o error, because their still bound low-level like the "good" old floppy drive.

better tachnology has been "outsmarted" by their monopol and not because a x86 is better then any motorola 68xxx.

still we use a chip that has only a few kilobytes of real memory, the rest is virtually,

it's like you would make a Ferrari from a volkswagen, by putting just the ferrari horse on front and paint it red, imho.

a loud mouth didn't makes a good software or a good CPU.

any system running on a x86 machine has to be unstable, because the processor is unstable, you cant fix something not even with the best software that is bound to physics! guess that poor old tattery grey had to work so fast (2ghz) to manage only what we got so far, the main reason for the extreme high frequency is the lack of real processing space and intel chips still have to be feed like a little baby; "one for mami, one for daddy, one for... oh no, swallow before next... ahh... there we have the mess!" with ths technology something like they promise here i guess it's a nightmare..

what can i say further, money is the biggest enemy of REAL advance in technology, belive me, we would have table computers allready, if there wasn't MS!

this is no "apple" it's a mouldy fig!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

remember coin ops or first generation of game consoles none was working with x86 tech, it was in the sight of the developers those days allready overaged and a useless processor for heavy requirements.

only because this guy (and the real freaks, said those days "he's stupid , he's dealin' with IBM") turned to sell his basic (and i'm not shure that he has written it, i guess he had send out some bullies to press it out of another student), to IBM, knowing that this overaged dinosaur will port his crappy software in every office and household in the world.

this guy had the nerve to say: "i never thought it would come this far with computers" i still was a child when he started but i knew then allready how far it would come. this guy is lying when he opens his mouth, if it's a mouth i'm not shure.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I see it as... Mostly.

Although the PC is the only gaming console I find really good, it is dying or dead. Only MMO's keep the computer alive, basically. If a game comes out that is for Xbox or PC, people will buy the Xbox disc.

I think the PC's dead for multiple reasons, such as that the PC is a lot costlier than other game consoles because it's like an All-In-One thing and another reason the PC is probably dead is that a lot of people have average or below computers with bad graphics card and they don't upgrade it. The PC also needs memory and everything to play a game, while a Console you just put the disc and go.

I use the PC for like every game that comes out that could be used on the PC because my computer is powerful and easily beats any console. PC gaming is also more intense because it is a lot easier and accurate to move the mouse than shift the analog stick (That's my opinion, no offense to die-hard console gamers)

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered

Mine keeps gettin blue screens so I think it is. Hehehe.

On a more serious note, as long as there are indie developers making awesome pc games, I feel it will never truely die, but become smaller. Steam is doing a good deal for PC gaming though, really cheap games, updates, its really good. And I just heard Fable 3 is coming for PC, so thats a good bonus (Fable 2 was Xbox only). Now, all we need is Halo 3 for the PC, and I will be happy.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3