Notifications
Clear all

MS to buy Activision Blizzard

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

It seems microslurp is planning to buy Activision Blizzard for $70bn - crikey!

BBC article here. I don't think that's good for gamers, but what do I know!

Oolite Naval Attaché

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Can't remember the last time I bought game made by Activision.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I think this is a good thing personally, because Activision and Blizzard has been a mess for years and I am with @Pinback on this I don't remember the last Activision game I have bought? Bobby Kotick has done a bad job managing this ship and I think Microsoft will do a better job by firing all the people that are preventing them from being successful and then turn it back to them.... I don't think MSoft will micro-manage them... MSoft looks at this as creating a huge income stream later.... because they now own some serious IPs and Sony better start paying attention what MSoft is doing because they are acquiring some serious firepower IP's in the gaming space. 

I think this all goes back to Game Pass subscriptions, if they can do like Netflix and build a huge gaming base that pays you monthly to access a huge game library they will have a huge influence over the gaming market.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

... they will have a huge influence over the gaming market.

That's what worries me!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

True.... but generally MSoft has been good about letting the developers still do their thing as long as they are getting the job done. Which I think is fair, I have worked in software my entire time out of the military and i have been involved with being acquired a few times in my work career and for the most part the parent company buys you because you have value and they want a piece of that value.... so what you provide they don't want to disrupt too much in fact they usually try to help you be more productive so you can make more money.... in Activision's case they have mis-managed and have a horrible work environment hence the discount on their company.... if Activision was firing on all cylinders then MSoft wouldn't have been able to afford the buy-out. MSoft is taking advantage of a situation 🙂 

If MSoft is smart they will pump money into Blizzard and Activision and start getting these products pumped out and make their customers happy... Because if they are happy they will keep subscriptions or buy games or consoles... we all know this is about money. And if MSoft is willing to spend the money they will make a lot of money because between Activision and Blizzard that is quite the software game library they are acquiring 🙂 MSoft has the money to possibly fix gaming to be honest.... yes the side effect could possibly be its MSoft way or no way you could be very right @Cody. But we will have to see... MSoft is a $2tril company.... technically they have more market value than Sony and Nintendo combined so if MSoft wants to be a solid player in the gaming space they will have to show us they care about games and make some good games and listen to the customers..... So we will see over the next few years what they do.

I know with this action I might buy a xbox for my next console for the first time because Game Pass is almost to hard to pass up soon.... lets see if MSoft wants to squeeze Nintendo and Sony with only allowing these popular games on their platform .... granted this isn't much impact to PC gamers much since MSoft is windows so we should be okay its the console wars MSoft will be trying to win in the end 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

As you've probably figured, I'm deeply suspicious of microslurp these days, have been since all that W10 nagware, and MS making updates for Win7 almost impossible. I run Win7 Pro straight "out of the box" now, with Update Services totally disabled. If I need a specific runtime or .dll or something, I'll download it as a standalone. Control, is what MS are after - control of your data, control over your OS, control over your hardware, and control over your games. Not unlike the Apple business model - so Jobsian!

My friend's son (14) is an X-Box freak, and has been happily playing online games (with Game Pass) through his TV. Now the latest X-Box can push out 4K and 120Hz, he suddenly wants a gaming monitor. I had to explain that he ain't getting 4K @120Hz without his dad paying a couple of grand (or more) for a monitor that can handle both together (not happening). Then I had to explain why 120Hz was more important than 4K for competitive gaming. Now he wants a gaming keyboard and mouse too. And of course, his X-Box needs replacing regularly as you can't upgrade them, unlike a gaming PC. <sighs>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote