Notifications
Clear all

Steam to stop working on Win7/8 in 2024

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

This is a little ways off, put for those people still using Win7/8 you have until the end of the year before your steam client won't work. This is a little expected over time but its a pain for those that don't have the newer OSes.

Topic Tags
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Us Win7 holdouts are slowly getting squeezed, as are people (like me) who use non-mainstream browsers! Ho-hum!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Steam should work in it's offline mode although not all game will work as I have an old windows 7 computer which has not been connected to the internet in about 6 years and I'm pretty sure some of the games still work.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hmm this is interesting, I don't have any win7 clients at all but you would think you should be able to download Steam Client at the end of this year and possibly find a way to disable updates so you can continue to use the client to download/install your games. 

Some people do have older hardware and the games they do play (and paid for) has no need for the newer hardware or don't want to play in emulation. You would think someone would come up with a open source steam client that can support older OS's because we have paid for the games we should continue to have access to our libraries without maybe having to pay to update our hardware to run a newer OS.

We'll see how this goes down.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Have a feeling that if anyone ever did come up with an open source Steam client, vale would would be all over it with the lawyers.

My Windows 7 machines not working at the moment but will have to have a look and see which of my games are still working on it.

ReplyQuote