Notifications
Clear all

Unreal Engine 5 Demo

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I have to admit this is really great stuff, and in this demo it was running on a PS5. Can't even imagine what the next few years will be like if developers really take advantage of this engine. I been hearing that there might be either a unreal tournament remake or new game if its in this engine it would be epic. But just looking at what this can do this just screams create a epic RPG like a Skyrim/Witcher

This topic was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

Topic Tags
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Amazing stuff. I remember, when Chris Roberts was yet to decide which engine to use for Star Citizen, I hoped he would have picked the then Unreal 3 engine. If he had then perhaps porting his game over to Unreal 5 could have been possible. The game I think, would have been much further along than it is now with that Cry Engine derived Lumberyard they are presently using. Of course, that boat sailed long ago.....

Anyways, looks like the next gen games are going to be stunning looking with this!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I cannot remember back that far in the engine choosing of SC but I think it was money related in why they didn't want to pay the money they wanted for UE, but I do think it would have been a better solution because of the code base and the support the UE has. I know Crytek is working on the next major version of the CryEngine but I think going with UE would have been better.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@sscadmin

If Crytek did manage a major update to their engine, I fear that boat has already sailed too, thanks to a certain court case. No, Star Citizen, for good or ill, will be sticking with lumberyard. They are in too deep now, gone too far along the development road, to switch engines at this point. Sure hope it works out for them!

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Astounding indeed _(._.)_
Just wondering how many graphic designers and animators for those zillion triangles though!? :/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @d-c-elington

Just wondering how many graphic designers and animators for those zillion triangles though!? :/

I don't know much about this process but I would think that the image is broken down to those billions of triangles so they can be altered by the devs. Just seeing how smooth that demo was and knowing there is billions triangles on the screen and that the CPU/GPU is keeping track of all of them is really amazing to be honest. I wonder what happens when you create a game like Red Faction where you can destroy a lot of the environment how this engine would respond, but those falling rocks and stuff like that from the demo was very impressive and felt life like. Graphics like this could take scifi gaming to the next level of immersion and detail.

Can't wait to see a scifi title use this engine to its fullest

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Yes but can it run Crysis. 😀 (which is sat on the desk behind the guy in the PS5 vid)

Think you have take this with a pinch of salt, especially around a new console launch, remember the dinosaur from the PlayStation demo disk.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

I remember looking at that back in the day. I thought, for a second, should I give up on my Amiga? The answer was , of course no.

When it came to demos.......Only Amiga!

Oh! And this too! The Amiga can still do rockin demos!

This post was modified 4 years ago by Geraldine

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Brilliant videos and really like the second one as I not seen it before, great to see Schwartz is still doing them.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @sscadmin

Graphics like this could take scifi gaming to the next level of immersion and detail.

Or it could just translate into "more beautiful" pirates pew-pewing... sorry feeling a bit blue this morning! :/

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @pinback

remember the dinosaur from the PlayStation demo disk.

Yes! And you're definitely right about the "pinch of salt" (each grain accurately modeled with a million vertices of course!!)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

sorry feeling a bit blue this morning!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Or it could just translate into "more beautiful" pirates pew-pewing...

Oh definitely, there is plenty of games that look great and suck. In the end its the content, but both gfx and sound have a big role into how the content is displayed. Here is hoping developers take their time and put out quality 😉 And on the PS Dinosaur haha there was no games on the PS1 that had gfx and animations like that 😉 so yeah you both have a point

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Looks like early access is now open for the Unreal 5 engine, its truly amazing what this thing does. I love having a base to appreciate from with atari and commodore 64/vic20 playing days when I was a kid .... and seeing how gaming has changed since then 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

you have to wonder how long will it be before you can't tell the difference between real life and game graphics and do we rally want to go that far.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

In the above demo, the scenery is lovely! But the one thing all game engines can't seem to get right is humans walking. When boffins analyse it, walking is more like controlled falling, constantly toppling but sticking the other leg out just in time. Or is it me?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote