Notifications
Clear all

What is a Good Capital Ship RPG - NOT FPS

Darkstar
(@darkstar)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

i have been looking for ages for a particular type of game that i dont think exists.

I want to fly around in a capital ship in an open ended universe, doing missions, leveling up (upgrading) and killing NPC's

the closest i have ever found has been the X-series and i greatly enjoyed them but capital ship combat in X3 terren conflict wasn't very satisfying after a while.

i wanted to avoid fighter games, like where your in the cockpit of a small fighter because im just tired of that at the moment. and space turn based games never did much for me.

i would prefer if the player managed things like power management or when to fire weapons and leave it to the computer to aim.

i wouldn't mind if it was a top down game either.

Please help if you know any games that my be within my extravagant parameters

thanks

Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered

the only one that comes to mind is Universal Combat (by 3000ad of Battlecruiser fame)

this is a very hardcore niche game, not exactly RPG.

You can find it here but be sure to look at reviews/screens first

other than that there's the old Star Control series. part adventure, part RPG, part topdown 2d ship control.

can't think of any others that meet yer criteria, besides Star Trek Online (will do a post about that in the near future)

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Bridge commander + KobayashiMaruMod 2010 version lets you take over the galaxy from the bridge of your starship 🙂

Not exactly an RPG but it certainly feels like your flying some big powerful ships. It has one of the best damage models I've seen in a game too.

ReplyQuote
instinct46
(@instinct46)
Petty Officer Registered

Freelancer, the community has come out with a really good mod, shame I can't remember what its called lol. But a lot more ship, an ever changing economic system, and you can buy quite a few frigates and bigger ships.

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

Bridge Commander

Klingon Academy

Starshatter

Independence War 1 and 2

ReplyQuote
Darkstar
(@darkstar)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I've tried some of those games like star shatter and bridge comander before, I think I will look into the mods now, thanks

Another question though... Does anyone know any game that is pretty much a single player version of eve?

ReplyQuote
darksmaster923
(@darksmaster923)
Petty Officer Registered

I wish.

You could always try DarkSpace, but its an MMORTS where you get to pilot a capital ship. The main problem is that playercount is really low.

ReplyQuote