Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] What is your current PC config?

Page 5 / 7

Anonymous

i got myself a upgrade last year

balldozer FX 8120 cooled with a coolermaster V8

Saphire pureblack 990 FX

palit 260 gtx sonic

2 hdd's 1TB/160GB

Novatech powerstation Black edition 750W

Zalman Z11 Plus case

Acer 21"p223W

Cyborg keybored V7

R.A.T 7

Logitech speakers 5.1 X540

Buffalo linkstaion 2TB

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Nice Dustdragon, you went with the 8-core AMD chip, how do you like it because I have been thinking about getting the FX8350? How much memory you got on there btw? I was thinking about getting at least 16GB.

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered

amd athlon (tm) IIx4 640 processor 3.00 ghz

4gb installed as well as addtl 674 gb

64 bit operating  system

ge force gtx 760

thinking about upgrading to titan & processor to support it in

anticipation of star citizen.

ReplyQuote
iDisOrder
(@idisorder)
Crewman Registered

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

HDD: Drive: C: 927.4 GB, Drive: E: 1701.9 GB

Gfx Card:Intel(R) HD Graphics

Snd Card:

Input/Joystick:

I'm really not good with all this graphics info and such.

I ran the dxdiag to try to answer these but I have no clue what I'm reading.

I do know that I was playing Entropia Universe a few months back and when someone I was chatting with commented that the grass looks so realistic, I knew looking down at a green carpet it was time to upgrade the Best-Buy special.

I brought the medium setting requirements with me to Micro-Center and just handed the paper to a salesman and told him I needed to run this game

Is there someone here who would help me translate what I have and suggest things for me?

I know certain motherboards can only handle certain cards, but I have no clue what all this means.

I could inbox u the dxdiag instead of filling this thread with it.

And please, don't go easy on me... you can't hurt my feelings if I already know my rig is garbage.

I wanna build a frankenstein!

Believe it or not, my major in college was computer science.

I did ace 'BASIC' and can draw a bad ass flow-chart thankuverymuch! lol

ReplyQuote
RatPatrol
(@ratpatrol)
Crewman Registered

CPU: Core i7 4930K 3.4 ghz
Memory: 32 Gb of Crucial Ballistix Tracer
HDD: 1tb Velociraptor [yeah thats right no SSD Yet]

Gfx Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX
Snd Card:SB Zx
Input/Joystick: Logitek G15 - Logiteck G27 -  Saitek X52 Pro

1200 w PSU

Cooler Master HAF 932

Addonics S5A - 5 drive back plane

[sharp eyes might notice in the one photo, that is a Radeon HD 4850 X2 in the Computer - I used this as 'place holder' the GTX 780 is in my old box right now]

da230bb2-42b8-4335-bdcc-5df005b695f5_zps

IMG_2486_zpsd441a233.jpg

IMG_2439_zps43a36664.jpg

Old PC I built in 2008

- [the LAN Ports die 6 months ago the Video card Died on Black Friday    poor me I had to buy a GTX 780]

CPU:Core 2 Quad

Memory: 6 Gb of Crucial Ballistix

HDD: 500 gb Mirrored 1 tb Storage Drive - this has balloned to 2-2Tb, 1-1Tb, 1-750 gb. 1-500 gb

Gfx Card: BFG GeForce GTX 280

Snd Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Input/Joystick: Saitek X52 Pro

Server I: Dell Power Edge 2900 III

CPU: 2 x Xeon Dual Core 1.8 Ghz

Memory: 24 Gb

HDD: 500 gb boot drive - 3 Tb Raid 5 [6 500 gb hard drives]

[torrent box]

Server II: DL 360 G5

CPU: 2x Xeon 3.4 Ghz  Dual Core

Memory: 32 Gb

HDD: 8 x 300 Gb 10000 rpm

this is my VMWare Host

ReplyQuote
RatPatrol
(@ratpatrol)
Crewman Registered

And please, don't go easy on me... you can't hurt my feelings if I already know my rig is garbage.

I wanna build a frankenstein!

I am an Avid Reader of Maximum PC

.... PC games to a lesser extent for hardware reviews 

http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recommended_builds_december_2013

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Have a minor upgrade.

BL3200PT 32" BenQ.

MSI X290X Lightning

And UPS to put my MS2012 R2E in action

And PS4

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Build this pc one year ago, i only used my hold graphic card but i want to upgrade it in the near future:

CPU: i7 4770k

MB: Asrock Z3 extreme

8 giga ram DDR3 dual channel

Radeon HD 6850

Windows 7 64 bit

Next upgrade is the videocard but i don't know what kind of model...i'm unsure if to buy a new AMD or a Nvidia. Nvidia is better because of physics support, in same games physics is so complex that even a i7 processor can't run it smoothly. AMD is a bit cheaper and i think it will become the reference in graphics card for gaming because also Xbox one and PS 4 are completely AMD maden.

Nvidia loosed a big piece of market.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I would probably hold off on a gfx card purchase (I am) until the R380-390x cards come out from AMD, this should make Intel drop the price on the GTX970-980 cards. And it will be interesting to see the pricepoint, because AMD has been getting beat up by the GTX lately and they need to hopefully hit the market with something good. I haven't owned a Intel gfx card in over 10yrs and I am about to purchase one if I don't see something good from AMD soon. Because that GTX980 is a nice card.

So who is gonna get my $$$ AMD or Intel? 🙂  Someone will because I need something good to play Star Citizen at Max settings 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<chuckles> I'd not recommend intel gfx, D1 - you mean nVidia. I have an EVGA GTX 770 ACX SC 2GB with which I am very pleased. It's old kit now, of course - but I grabbed it on special offer for only £200 last summer, which was a bargain. It runs Elite: Dangerous at a rock-steady 75fps on Ultra settings without breaking sweat - even in stations! Sweet!

i5 4670K 4@3.4 + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA GTX 770 ACX SC 2GB DDR5

Corsair RM 750W Gold

Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2x8)

Fractal Design Arc Midi

That system, self-built last autumn, will have to last me for a few years - it broke the bank!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

SCREWBAG1

cpc1610_zpsa8f76309.jpg

a phantastic CP-1610 16bit maaaaachine from General Instruments

it uses a 10bit opcode, the left 6bits are for future expansions

it runs @ 894 kHz

and uses 1456 bytes RAM

the resolution is 159 x 96

it displays 16 colors @ once

SIMPLY HOT!

but i'm thinking about if i shouldn't replace it with a MC68000, it's far better.

OK, let's get serious

it's nothing one could be proud of

a poor mans computer

Brand:          MEDION

Model:          MS-7800

Name:           STSORLCF49 (still that same old rotten lathe controller from 49)

Processor:    AMD A8-5500 APU, 3200 MHz, 2 Kernels, 4 logical Processors with built in Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (disabled)

RAM:            4GB

GFX:             NVIDIA GeForce GT 440, 1GB RAM

Snd:              built in Realtek Low Definition Audio, 7.1 wishi-washi

HD:               1TB, brand "cook-a-mongo"

Monitor:        Pops old HP

however it does it's job and i can't afford any better

[attachment=2956:01010082.JPG]

in principles one could say the above CP-1610 is better, because the design of the chip is younger

if i had the right money i would get me this one here:

[attachment=2957:IMG_1043.jpg]

capabilities: runs "Tennis for Two" (nothing else)

who let the smoke out? In case you didn't know, all electronic devices operate using smoke. You can prove this quite simply - if you let the smoke out of any electronic device, there is an incredibly high likelihood that it will no longer work. If it does still work, then there is still enough smoke left in it for it to continue operating.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

I did ace 'BASIC' and can draw a bad ass flow-chart thankuverymuch! lol

Yeah see REAL CRACKS and other weirdos...

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

I would probably hold off on a gfx card purchase (I am) until the R380-390x cards come out from AMD, this should make Intel drop the price on the GTX970-980 cards. And it will be interesting to see the pricepoint, because AMD has been getting beat up by the GTX lately and they need to hopefully hit the market with something good. I haven't owned a Intel gfx card in over 10yrs and I am about to purchase one if I don't see something good from AMD soon. Because that GTX980 is a nice card.

So who is gonna get my $$$ AMD or Intel? 🙂  Someone will because I need something good to play Star Citizen at Max settings 🙂

GTX cards are Nvidia not intel. Actually intel produces only motherboard integrated vga.

About the next vga i also decided to wait for AMD 300 series. R9 290 it's a monster, 5 teraflop of floating point power against 3 teraflop of nvidia gtx 970. Anyway i read benchmarks on many sites where nvidia is superior. It's very strange because of the power difference.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-v-amd-radeon-r9-290_Page-2

Nvidia it's dx 12 compatible and AMD R290 11.2

So i think it's better to wait for the new AMD series because it has no sense to buy a new card with old direct x libraries.

ReplyQuote
theAntiBob
(@theantibob)
Petty Officer Registered

hal9kplaysd3linux_by_theantibob-d9c63ke.

hal9k

this is the best pc i have

it's been thrown away, salvaged (by me) and reincarnated!

i've had it for about 8 years, but the mobo is from 2004

kinda had to stop all salvage operations once i got married... will it ever be replaced?

athlon 64 (single core 2.4g but will eventually be a dual core if i can ever find a 939 - fingers crossed)

1.5gb ddr2 ram

~6tb of total hdd(s)

nvidia 8600gt (a little overclocked for better synchronization)

1080p 60hz philips

x52 HOTAS

thrustmaster rudder control system (serial+midi/game port)

little webcam for headtracking (linuxtrack)

does pretty good for what it is, plays fullHD video just fine, flightgear (with headtracking eating up some cpu) in 1080p at about 25-35fps (rural scenes only, but i live in alaska so that's fine by me)

vendetta online maxed graphics (opengl, dot directx) 1080p & 4xaa at a solid 60 fps (except when my roidscanning scripts are running, that's a slideshow)

i think a raspberry pi would be a bit more powerful...

this post is for pittyLaughs and to make everyone else out there feel a bit better about theirs

ReplyQuote
ArthurClark
(@arthurclark)
Crewman Registered

Just bought 6700k+FuryX machine. i've been saving for 3 months, but it totally worth it. 

ps. yeah, i'm in a red team)

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

When will be released next Nvidia and AMD cards?

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

I'm going to change my graphic card for next month but i'm not able to decide if to buy a radeon rx480 or a gtx 1060.

Actually rx480 runs better on dx 12 and vulkan api but i think nvidia will fix this and nvidia has physx support.

I read also that nvidia doesn't support old vga improving drivers performance, they improve drive performance only for recent vga instead of AMD. So, if this is true, AMD cards work better in years instead of nvidia.

What's your opinion?

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

I've used nVidia for years. I had a bad experience with some ATI cards many moons ago, and so don't touch them with a barge pole! I've always found nVidia to offer better general compatibility with games.

The only downside is their stupid lack of open-source drivers for Linux, forcing you to rely on flaky Nouveau or else making you need to update the driver with every new kernel. The lack of a decent framebuffer driver is also tedious. But I'm in Windows more than Linux, so I can live with this.

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

The only downside is their stupid lack of open-source drivers for Linux, forcing you to rely on flaky Nouveau or else making you need to update the driver with every new kernel.

I'm confused.  Why won't you use the proprietary drivers?  I'm generally in favor of open source everything by default as well, but we are talking a piece of hardware here, it certainly seems acceptable to me to use proprietary drivers created by the manufacturer of the hardware.  It's been a while, but it's my understanding that nVidia has impeccable Linux driver support, in no small part because they have been pushing the use of their GPU's for scientific purposes for years (they certainly had terrific driver support the last time I had a graphics card on one of my Linux machines).  I'm looking forward to doing dual-boot on my main gaming machine, but I'm sort of in limbo over exactly what to do with the SSD's.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

I had a bad experience with some ATI cards many moons ago, and so don't touch them with a barge pole!

What appened?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Memory: DDR2 8GB 400MHz
HDD: 250GB
Gfx Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Snd Card: Integrated (look below)
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS5
Input/Joystick: A4Tech LCD-720 keyboard and Modecom MC-WM8 mouse

KEK 

Edit (2016-09-11): I have just ordered new parts. Nothing much, but should work a little bit better. And the motherboard won't be damaged (yep, this one isn't working properly).

Edit (2016-09-13): Actually the parts I got were worse than this, so I'm staying with my current setup, kek.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Memory: DDR2 8GB 400MHz
HDD: 250GB
Gfx Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Snd Card: Integrated (look below)
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS5
Input/Joystick: A4Tech LCD-720 keyboard and Modecom MC-WM8 mouse

KEK 

Edit (2016-09-11): I have just ordered new parts. Nothing much, but should work a little bit better. And the motherboard won't be damaged (yep, this one isn't working properly).

And I thought I needed to upgrade my PC.... you desperately need a upgrade Aki 🙂 I can still play most games, I just cant turn on all the visuals in some newer games. But I want to build a rig to play everything with max settings so I will probably wait until the Zen processor comes out and build something on that platform. So starting to save now, maybe by next Christmas I will post my new dream rig specs. But right now I cannot play Star Citizen at all its unplayable even in the hanger for me.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

I'm confused.  Why won't you use the proprietary drivers?  I'm generally in favor of open source everything by default as well, but we are talking a piece of hardware here, it certainly seems acceptable to me to use proprietary drivers created by the manufacturer of the hardware.  It's been a while, but it's my understanding that nVidia has impeccable Linux driver support, in no small part because they have been pushing the use of their GPU's for scientific purposes for years (they certainly had terrific driver support the last time I had a graphics card on one of my Linux machines).  I'm looking forward to doing dual-boot on my main gaming machine, but I'm sort of in limbo over exactly what to do with the SSD's.

It's by no means a big problem, and yes I do use the proprietary drivers - but they come with the two headaches I've mentioned. The first is that they don't make a decent console-mode driver, so you're stuck with big blocky text unless you're in XWindows - which is just an aesthetic gripe really. The second annoyance (which you've probably experienced) is the hassle of having to explicitly blacklist the nouveau drivers to make the proprietary one work every time you install a new OS, and also having to make sure that your driver is re-deployed every time you have a kernel update. Not major nuisances, but enough that I'd prefer nVidia to just open-source the drivers already.

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I switched to nVidia about five years back - they left ATI/AMD drivers standing when it came to OpenGL support.

My only problem with nVidia is I can't use Shadowplay without having GFE installed, and I dislike GFE.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

The second annoyance (which you've probably experienced) is the hassle of having to explicitly blacklist the nouveau drivers to make the proprietary one work every time you install a new OS, and also having to make sure that your driver is re-deployed every time you have a kernel update. Not major nuisances, but enough that I'd prefer nVidia to just open-source the drivers already.

I see.  Actually I had NOT experienced that.  Unfortunately my main rig is in Windows limbo until I can acquire a nice 1TB SSD next month (which I have waited this long for because I REALLY don't want to buy it because being 1TB it will be SATA which is really an obsolete technology by now... sigh) so that I can do dual boot and have plenty of room for games.  Therefore I've had embarrassingly little recent experience with nVidia drivers in Linux.  And yes, that definitely sounds like it would piss me off, and in fact I'm glad we had this conversation, because it probably would not have occurred to me that there were pre-installed open source drivers conflicting with the nVidia drivers (that was not the case 6 years ago).  The package manager should allow you to remove the open source drivers though I suppose it might automatically re-install them every time it updates the kernel.  Which distribution are you using?

And yes, I can't really see any reason not to open source hardware drivers (even though I have no objection to using proprietary ones).  After all, they are provided as a free service and you need to actually buy their hardware to take advantage of it anyway.  I suppose they must think that they have some terribly clever optimizations that they don't want AMD to see, but that seems like a pretty frail argument to me.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7