Notifications
Clear all

Combat, in Pioneer Scout Plus

walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  
I recommend trying the automatic fighter pilot. Installed free, with the admission pay, to SPA members. 

If an attack pirate, do nothing, and see in action. Although you can help by using the acceleration and braking, keeping the enemy at a distance of between 500 and 1000 meters. 

You must be armed with guns, of course. And a shield is healthy. 

I like to hear your experience.

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Ok, first test. I was between planets and pressed Ctrl-F12 to generate an opponent. Very impressive! This is the kind of performance I'd expect from hiring a co-pilot with a good combat rating. My 2mw rapid fire cannon was overheated and my one shield generator was almost depleted but the enemy was destroyed with no damage to my ship. I did nothing. I just watched!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Oh noes! I was fighting it wondering what was happening with the ship handling, next time I will leave the mouse alone

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Geraldine, were you able to add your inputs to the autopilot, or did it just ignore you? It makes me wonder if the player can work with it and nudge it in the right direction if need be, although in my limited experience it didn't seem to need it.

I did a second test, this time with two opponents. The autopilot dispatched the first ship quite efficiently. I got a message stating that my combat level had improved. I didn't feel that I deserved it. The second ship just flew off. I told my autopilot go to its vicinity but when I got there it didn't initiate hostilities so I ended the game at that point. I probably should have attacked to see what would happen.

Walterar, is it possible to toggle the automatic fighter pilot on and off? If it's not possible, it should be. I think that players like Geraldine might prefer to make their own kills.

As for me, I'll leave it on so I can continue to fly drunk and still kick ass!

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

The combat autopilot reacts when struck by a impact of   hostile ship. The first shot is safe for your ship, but helps the system to identify the attacker. This is especially useful when the hostiles are more than one. Very frecuent in danger missions, in Scout+. But, if you is a Champion, can switch to manual combat, pressing F5     

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  
Now, try to prove in a "normal" game.

Tournaments fair, have become a popular and lucrative sport in the galaxy of the 3200 age. You can find solitary fighters, or groups fighting hard between them. In most cases, only one survives, and the reward is high.

You can find lone fighters to the come to some uninhabited system. These have a special feature: challenge you to fight, but if you have no weapons do not attack, just steal a small amount of your cash. But if you possess guns, the fight will be to death, and all the cash is transferred from the loser to the winner.

Some good "dog fights" usually occur if reach an inhabited system. You can see them from a distance, but do not let anyone get close because you will be involved in the fight, or maybe not.

Each successful shot, every shot received, each destroyed ship, goes for the rating.

I am trying to use all the resources offered by the combat engine. The combat model is realistic,  maybe too much. We would need a "slow motion". But now is fun to me.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@Marcel, I kept over correcting, but it is a handy tool nevertheless.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

It's good at training, to understand the model combat.

Mainly for pilots newcomers, among which are the highest rate of premature mortality. 

Over time you may dispense with the automatic combat, or maybe not. Maybe its fun.  

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

My first 'real' combat report. I was running G16F. I took a mission at GJ 1224 to bring some sensitive documents to San Francisco. I was told it was dangerous, but my tests of the new combat computer seemed successful so I was confident of success. The jump to Sol was uneventful, unlike the jump to GJ 1224 where I arrived in the middle of a dogfight and decided to leave. There were no other ships in the system, however and I made a fair amount of money with package deliveries. I didn't see anyone while I was on route to Earth until I was at the last waypoint above the pad. I could see the ship coming, but my ship ignored it. My nose pointed down and as I was heading to the pad I was attacked and hit. My ship turned and fired a volley that destroyed the attacker in about two seconds. By the way, the new explosions are nice! Unfortunately, my ship then plowed into San Francisco sideways, making for a very bad day for the people who had to clean it up. I tried again, this time going to speed control to gain altitude in which to manoeuvre. I let the other ship catch up then the combat began. In spite of the fact that I had two shield generators I received a bit of damage before the ship was destroyed. The laser cooling booster was a big help. I then saw the other two attackers. I manoeuvred to evade them until my shields were fully back online, then took them on one by one. I was fighting the last one manually when the autopilot took over and made the kill. The job paid about $5000 but I incurred about $3000 in damage to my ship. I also bought another shield generator.

This makes me wonder where the police were while this was occurring. When I landed, there was a police ship on a nearby pad. I know what the police would do if I fired a weapon that close to a station! 😀

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

@Marcel

"I know what the police would do if I fired a weapon that close to a station!"

Worst of all is that you run out scanner due to the accumulation of messages from the police in the screen. Something that will be resolved in G18f. 

I am "educating" a the MechaniCops, introduced in G17f, to be "more good with good boys, and more evil with evil boys." They are a little stupid now. But a MechaniCop police, armed with cannons and 6 naval missiles, can be really scary. You better pay the fines.

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

Hi Walterar,

I think the auto combat is a FANTASTIC feature. It will really help new pilots ease into the outstanding Newtonian Flight Model.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Styggron, really I'm having so much fun creating new combat scenes.       

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Combat report:

I went on a mapping mission to a planet with probable pirate activity. I was on the lookout while travelling through the system until my ship was settling into low orbit and began mapping. I don't know how the Constrictor was spawned, but one appeared and taunted me.

"Are you going to die by your radar mapper?"

His syntax was strange but his meaning was clear, but I had a mission, and a plan.

I targeted his ship and was surprised to see a pirate with no bounty on his head. No shields either. I could take him easily, but that wasn't what I was there for.

I went to speed control and set the velocity beyond what I thought I'd reach and pointed my nose just above the horizon.

I had to survive for ten minutes.

I thought if I went around the planet as fast as I could I could stay in mapping range and evade my pursuer.

My plan had a flaw. He managed to hit me. The combat auto-pilot tried to engage but I pressed F5 and put it back on course. This happened a couple more times but my shields were holding up. Every time I pressed F5 I heard in the back of my mind the chatter from the Death Star attack, "Stay on target! Stay on target!"

As I built up speed the terrain was moving by very fast, and I was very low. I'm not entirely sure what happened next, but I saw a lovely explosion off the starboard bow. It was so close that at first I thought it collided with me, but my shields were at about 70%. I think he crashed into the planet. I was credited with the kill. I set the autopilot to low orbit and finished the mapping.

I see two issues here. One is a pirate with no bounty on his head, and the second is a combat autopilot that tries to wrest control from you every time you get hit. Is there a way to disable it until you want to enable it again?

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

His syntax was strange

I'm sure was a Klingon! 

Is there a way to disable it until you want to enable it again?

For now, the only way I can identify an attacker is when you get your shot. But soon will be activated/deactivated with a key. For that, I need a new "event" that detects if you've pressed a key. This should be done in cxx.

My plan had a flaw.

I think your need is improve the technic  to evade hostile ship.

Keep your enemy at 3 or 9 (of the clock), and when he starts firing, quickly turns to him, it is at 12. I do this, maintaining a speed of 2km/s

Good luck to you!   

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

That's good advice. At the time I was fully occupied with keeping my nose above ground. I'll try to do better next time. 😀

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

While I was testing for the bug reported here, http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/4211-things-related-to-scout/page-6

I encountered a rather surly fellow in an uninhabited system.

"This is my domain!" he said.

He attacked me and hit my shields. That's when I realized that my combat autopilot was off by default in G18, and I didn't know the key to activate it. I hit speed control and sped away, and he taunted me! That was so cool!

I looked up the key [Y] and enabled the autopilot. The guy was in an Eagle and was faster than me. When he caught up with me and hit me again my ship made short work of him and I had no damage.

Then I received  a message stating that all the money in his account at the Central Galactic Bank was transferred to me!

It's a pity that it was only a test.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

I looked up the key [Y] and enabled the autopilot.

I have it set to "CapsLock" instead of "Y", that way, the "led" tells me the state. 🙂

It's a pity that it was only a test.

In the space of Scout happen very funny and / or dangerous things outside the solar system. Sure you'll have another chance to take on these crazy characters.   

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  
civgod, hello, welcome!    And thank for your concepts.  

This is my preferred configuration; with this you will be virtually invincible.

autocombat1.png

autocombat2.png

autocombat3.png

The activation key Auto Combat initially is CapsLock; but you can configure as you want.

autocombat4.png

This function must be active "only" if you suspect an imminent attack.

You will enjoy it when you learn to handle it, it is not difficult. 

ReplyQuote