Clear all

Completed Pioneer Models

Page 21 / 25

Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

[attachment=1270:test_check.jpg]

Quote:
The ads could be placed at random in all their locations and would change at certain intervals.

i'm working on that already, since we have a standard size this is no problem, guess why i made them all 2:1...

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I just started doing the same thing because walterar just gave me a clue as to how to accomplish it. I'll leave that to you because you're much better at that than I am. 😀

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

what you get will be two functions similar to a model call with the addition of a zbias level to get rid of the "wrong" (often to high) zbias for the adverts (will do the same for the decals).

one will call simply a single advert to keep this possibility, the other calls random selected adverts where you can "time" (seperate them) by a index, thus two screens won't show the same stuff at once.

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

I only meant to submit some silly ads I'm still a petty officer! (i do like the Biffco one though!) I'd have thought a few people have made their own silly ads/textures or whatever. A randomizer would be great and also if you want to start putting the story element together it needs to be done in design as well as text. (I'm talking factions or whatever rather than story per se.) All this is pointless anyway. You play the game to gain virtual money in tiny increments and eventually buy a bigger ship to gain more money in tiny increments to buy a slightly bigger ship and so on (which is mysteriously addictive). it doesnt really matter what pictures are on the wall! also potsmoke, it'd be cool to have an effect on the hyperspace but that's too much!

Enjoy...

http://www.wimp.com/cuttingsteel/

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Well, here's the big TV in model form. Not too impressive to look at, I know, but it did take me most of the afternoon. Now I'm looking forward to some content! 😆

[attachment=1271:big_TV.png]

And cutting steel was cool spazeman. You're now an official contributor! 😀

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Potsmoke66, The new submodels work, except that ad_pioneer_0 shows the unknown.png texture because in adverts_p66.lua pioneer_0_l.png and pioneer_glow.png are called pioneer_0.png and pioneer_0_glow.png

hmm, wrong file? i checked it (again, and knew) i didn't found nothing wrong.

edit: damned, i found it, not "_l" but "_0", sorry, i really missed that, even by a second look at it. i will fix that soon.

[/hr]

since not much else is happening in hyperspace transition, you can make with the model what you like, even exchange it with some rand. pictures (like i did with the enterprise). this one is a simple sphere (in and outside) with randomly projected textures on it (rand pos. and size).

(too sad the clip stutters so much, but i-movie cuts a lot of frames and i can't set a own framerate for the project).

the test screen is already "on the air" 😉

[attachment=1272:Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-15 um 10.42.52.png]

...now the technicians are sweatin' heavy to get the broadcast up 😆

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

ok, that was quite a piece of work, therefore it's cool (imo)

you can now call the adverts to display with two functions (like promised)

one can be called in the static part of a model

Code:
single_advert('advert_model_name', position, vector_right, vector_up, scale, zbias_level)

and displays simply a static advert, i.e. to label a factory building, the "zbias_level" means a integer value to lift the advert proper from the surface beyond, that's far better rather a presetted zbias.

the other displays a changing advert, based on a seed you give (don't expect to much, we have actually "only" 19 different adverts to display)

Code:
multi_advert(gen_seed, position, vector_right, vector_up, scale, zbias_level)

gen_seed means any number and sets the difference between called adverts, while with little difference expect little difference, e.g. 1 is followed by 2, even when the adverts get generated by gametime + gen_seed.

the cool thing is you don't have to mess a lot with code, the functions are similar to a model to call and the list of adverts to use in the function is easy to update.

Code:
-- list of adverts to use for multi_advert function, higher instances increase the chance

local all_adverts = {
'coolvar_1',
'ad_acme_0',
'ad_acme_1',
'ad_acme_2',
'ad_pioneer_0',
'ad_sirius_0',
'ad_sirius_1',
'ad_sirius_2',
'vegaline_1',
'banner_1',
'carousel',
'hal',
'momcorp',
'navy',
'soylent',
'tyrell_1',
'tyrell_2',
'ameisirennen',
'ameisirennen',
'ameisirennen',
'testscr_0',
'testscr_0',
'testscr_0',
}

multi_advert = function(index,v_pos,v_right,v_up,scale,n_zbias)
local seed = 1 + index
local freq_1 = math.floor(get_time('MINUTES')*3) -- here you can speed up or slow down the changing rate

-- setting up table contents
adv_name = {}
table.insert (adv_name, all_adverts[math.ceil(math.fmod(index,#all_adverts))])

-- exchange contents randomly
for i = 1,#adv_name do
math.randomseed(freq_1+seed)
table.insert (adv_name, i, all_adverts[math.random(1,#all_adverts)])
table.remove (adv_name)
advert_name = adv_name
end

-- get it displayed
z_level = 0 + n_zbias
call_model(advert_name,v_pos,v_right,v_up,scale)

end

single_advert = function(name,v_pos,v_right,v_up,scale,n_zbias)
z_level = 0 + n_zbias
call_model(name,v_pos,v_right,v_up,scale)
end

to get all working fine (help...) i changed the stations.lua script and moved it to ".../models/stations", and created a textures folder for the stations, to have them accsessable even when one removes i.e. my disabled city or any ship (actually only the eagle which can't be removed, but to be 101% safe).

[/hr]

anyway, i packed all into a zip to make it work for you

again, note that "spacestations.lua" has moved to "...data/models/stations" and you will have to remove the existing "spacestations.lua" to make it work.

submodels_new_adverts_function_and_spacestation_example_1.zip

[/hr]

btw, marcel it's easy now to make from the station_splash texture a advert which will be displayed then randomly with the others.

further i would recommend to make a sub_model from your screens if you use them repeatingly, it doesn't have to be place under "sub_models" (but can), you can use also the models or stations folder (where i placed the stations script now), if you decide for the stations folder, name the i.e. "tv_screen.lua" then "0_tv_screen.lua" to make sure it gets handled in front of any other following models.

just as a idea 😉

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I put the TV screen model at the top of spacestations.lua. I looks like this.

define_model('big_TV', {

info = {

bounding_radius = 55,

materials = { 'case', 'green_glow', 'logo' },

},

static = function(lod)

set_material('green_glow', 0,1,0,.8,0,1,0,5,0,1,0)

set_material('case', .03,.03,.03,1,.03,.03,.03,5)

set_material('logo', .8,.8,.9,1,.8,.8,.9,5)

use_material('green_glow')

cuboid(v(-36.5,-21.5,2.25),v(-.5,.5,-.25))

use_material('case')

texture('stations/textures/grav.png', v(.5,.5,0), v(.1,0,0), v(0,.1,0))

cuboid(v(-42.5,-22.75,-2),v(85,47,4))

zbias(1, v(0,0,0), v(0,1,0))

billboard('smoke.png', 3, v(0,1,0), {v(-36.75,-21.25,2)})

use_material('logo')

text("ACME", v(0,-20,2.15), v(0,0,1), v(1,0,0), 1.75, {center=true})

zbias(0)

end

})

You're probably laughing at me because I said it took me a few hours to make it, but it's my first model ever so I had to do everything wrong first. 😆 It could, of course, go anywhere. You probably noticed that I'm using a stations/textures folder too.

I don't have time to look at what you've done today, so I'll check it out tomorrow. 😀

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i spent a night with formatting the string for the clock (on the test screen) 😆 , sounds even funny, but even the first time (not quite), and hard when the game_time returns "all time" hours, minutes, seconds, means a number that will look like this; 234.623798988 and counts the overall-gametime.

but well, i know now where certain problems come from and even what to do against that.

edit: damned, it still fails, sometimes the clock shows the wrong time or the minutes change at second 30.

oh, yes i've got the ships ready for alpha23

marvin.gif

you find them now under Potsmoke66_files

i will soon update the single models thread and bring them to front.

you can download them (if already present) of course right now.

you wil have to respect,

- "mods_.....zip" would belong to your local mods directory, but can be placed of course into the game like a common model.

- "ships_.....zip" (or similar like models or buildings etc.) are ment to replace the existing models and scripts in the games data directory.

the submodels are a "patch" now and doesn't replace the whole directory and are only "updating" the existing ones.

with the actual submodels you won't have to replace any of the standard alpha23 ships, but you can if you like, mostly they come with the new pilot and different scanner models, or have simply added the new call for the missiles helper, but that makes no visible difference.

BUT for any (almost) of my new mods or models you will need of course the new submodels AND all standard ships which use in one or the other way the selector function won't appear as they should (texture or color stays always the same).

further, some ships have a customized front/rear view, if you dislike that you will have to replace the ship specifications in "...data/ships", you will find a original script there of the specs with the suffix .gen instead of .lua.

[/hr]

oh, and it really makes me sad to know that you won't like...

no,

take care, "ships_FFED3D_alpha23.zip" contains my version of coolhands viper, i modded the specs and named the police viper "Ladybird", this let's the viper appear as police ship in a simple manner. to override the original ladybird i added a "empty" ladybird ship-specs script, that's enough to bypass the model.

[/hr]

edit:

a small fix for my submodels, if the new added rear view of the bloodrunner is good for something...

instead of dark skinned hands my colored pilots had blue ones 😯 i fixed that little issue and uploded the new submodels patch (it's a rather old one, i noticed it once, but forgot to fix it then).

expect further changes to the submodels in the near future, the adverts function isn't finished yet but works so far (stupid name i know, to avoid complications i should have used poster or something else). would be fine if one of our "codemasters" would throw a eye on it, i feel it leaks somewhat.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

car cinema?

[attachment=1273:Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-16 um 15.55.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
car cinema?

A "Fly In Cinema" Gernot? Instead of a drive in cinema, brilliant! 😆

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i just stopped there, the ad banner is old, but the adverts are new,

i fixed a little bug in my "ships_crap_alpha23" , and uploaded a special adverts version with a little better function for it, fixed the wrong clock and added a special "advert" if you really like to pause once

http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft ... ke66_files

you will have to sort by date to knew which to download, and sorry for the long file name, it gets now partially covered by the ad.

but if i'm in the mood i will link them on "models one by one".

btw, they are somewhat framerate killers and i guess i will remove the dynamic adverts from the "ad banners" in the city, because they get spread everywhere, it's a bit to much, one or two would be ok.

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Just saw this and if you've not already seen it then take a look... I was mesmerised especially, at how low tech it all seemed!.

Didn't really know where to put this and it seems I've been hogging a lot of the boards!

(I decided to post on models so I could just say everything's looking cool!) And If you're having trouble sleeping like i am...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 3QMr-VwEaw

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

This is a replacement spacestations.lua file for alpha 23. It contains updates to the mushroom stations,

[attachment=1275:mushroom_station_2.jpg]

hoop station

[attachment=1276:hoop_spacestation.jpg]

and big crappy station.

[attachment=1277:big_crappy_spacestation.jpg]

continued on next post...

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

... This is compatible with my ground_stations_alpha23 and my hometowns. As for potsmoke66's addons, I've been too busy making this to test it with them. I know it works with his submodels, and it probably works with his ships, but there may be issues with his stations and adverts so for now this is just for a stock alpha 23 installation. To install open the file and drag the data folder into your main Pioneer folder and allow it to overwrite. It includes a backup of the alpha 23 spacestations.lua file.

[attachment=1278:spacestations15.zip]

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Tried to 'fly to vicinity of' the Hoop station and it crashes into the side. It seems to do this for me in any system...

Looks amazing though!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

That's odd. With the default Eagle I stop at 30 km from each of the three station types. What's your operating system, what version of Pioneer are you running and what ship were you flying? Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks for the aesthetic complement, btw.

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm on windows and alpha23 (vanilla- no other newer models). I've tried it with a few ships and wierdly it seems it only happens when i'm approaching from various angles!

I'm not on Github. With not code skills I don't see the point really! Should I post errors on this forum somewhere or would it be betters to join github and post errors there? after everyones hard work I always feel a bit rude posting errors!

This doesn't relate to anything but found this on a random google...

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 33&t=35304

5457840662_43df6ee2e9.jpg

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Have you had the same problem before you installed the updated models? You can test it by renaming spacestations.lua to spacestations.lua.txt and then rename spacestation.lua.backup to spacestations.lua. If the problem still occurs then I'm guessing that you may have found a bug in the autopilot. It's best to go to http://pioneerspacesim.net/ and post it in the issue tracker. That's the way to insure that it will be addressed. You won't be considered rude unless you word it that way. People want to fix bugs. Please try it with the standard models and if it persists post it and be as specific as possible, for example, saying what approach angles cause you to crash. Oh, and if my updates are causing this let me know here. I'm not a programmer so I don't scour the issue tracker very often.

I've always loved the Valley Forge. It has the look of a real interplanetary spacecraft imho, except for the Star Trek gravity plates.

Peter Schickele (aka PDQ Bach) wrote some beautiful serious music for the film too.

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

No Problemo! I'll start logging. As you can tell by the amount i post I'm quite obsessed and think you guys have done a cracking job and want Pioneer to be as awesome as it's potential! If there we're some slightly more complex stations/ships and more atmos effects and stuff to pretty it up a bit I'd be quite satisfied until 2030 when we land on mars. When there's new space interest and Braben finally pulls his finger out and makes E4!

Regarding SR- Yeah there's something really unique and strange about it (It's a disney film and the main character seems to be a murdering cocaine addict! Though on the whole it's a bit too much for me! I'm actually like folk music but the soundtrack does my head in!) you can definitely see the influence/references in others, esp. moon and stuff.

Another similarly weird one... 10 points for guessing!

DarkStarShip.jpg

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

dark star (looks like)

and a limited view out of a MCU

[attachment=1279:Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-22 um 20.37.jpg]

to sad i havn't enough variables to move all the sliders, levers, and switches 😆

actually it only shows the wheel state, the amount of occupied cabins and the flight state, more i can't request from a model i guess.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Quote:
it only shows the wheel state, the amount of occupied cabins and the flight state, more i can't request from a model i guess.

Well you can always fill the control panel with random blinking lights like they do in most sci-fi. 😉

Btw, I'm integrating your very cool random ads into my update for spacestations.lua with the goal of making an easy to install add-on. I'm thinking a dummy spacestations.lua in the original location so people wont have to go in there and delete it. I want to put everything into one package. Hopefully I'll be able to get your buildings and pads and stations and my stuff all working together.

Quote:
multi_advert(tonumber('marcel',36), v(94.85,100,20), v(0,1,0), v(0,0,-1), 40.0, 1)

😆

Hey, I just noticed your 'Leaving Lave Station' slideshow. What did you do there with station_splash?

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i have lost a reply, because i had to log-in 🙁

station splash?

moved it to the adverts

it's followed now by "rodina", makes sense no, "coming soon" - "rodina" 😆

well, if that is past... we use another one ("Elite IV" i.e. or chris "what was his name" transport game)

i have changed the whole thing again, refined it a lot, if then the complete system breaks down now, it won't do that often and you can't tell once, or three times in a row.

i liked to post you how i formatted NOW the text scale for the "stations com" (what i did before was completely wrong).

Code:
if get_label() ~= nil then
local label = get_label()
local scale = 0.11 * 12 / math.max(12,string.len(label))
use_material('text')
zbias(setup.z_floor+2,v(0,.5,0),v(0,0,1))
text(clock,v(0.0,0.6,0.0),v(0,0,1),v(1,0,0),scale, {center=true})
text(label,v(0.0,0.5,0.0),v(0,0,1),v(1,0,0),scale, {center=true})
text('Welcomes you',v(0.0,0.4,0.0),v(0,0,1),v(1,0,0),scale, {center=true})
text('aboard',v(0.0,0.3,0.0),v(0,0,1),v(1,0,0),scale, {center=true})
end

"local scale = 0.11 * 12 / math.max(12,string.len(label))"

this diplays the text always in the right scale so the stations name won't leap over the given space.

12 - is the minimum size of the strings i use ("Welcomes you")

0.11 - is a constant i evaluated with a string length of 12

the cross calculatiuon is, "1" (your constant scale) multiplied with 12 (minimum string length) divided with either 12 for shorter strings as 12 characters and diveded by string length for longer. it results either in 1 for shorter strings and fractions of 1 for longer.

to use it for "Hoop" i.e. you need only this;

"yourscale", is the scale you evaluated with three characters (for "Chu" i.e.)

"local scale = "yourscale" * 3 / string.len(label)" and all labels text get scaled properly based on a scale for three characters.

if you have a text to display together with the label and it needs to be scaled to, use the variation with math.max("minimum length", "string length"),

to prevent that the string get's to large in case of a string shorter than your longest text to display (sounds confusing, is simple).

[/hr]

and yeah, i already moved everything to "mods", it's much more comfortable to exchange a zip instead of moving directories.

only some scripts i'm workiong on are present in the installation. this allowos proper exchange without doubles or possible conflicts.

one that has to stay are the sub-models, they get used by all and i'm not sure what happens if they get "mounted" from a zip, especially i don't know or would have to find out if the zips could be numbered to load one at a given position in hierarchy.

clever made you could exchange almost all data in this way, keep some "standard mods" with a minimum to run pioneer and exchange all the rest by choice.

even the "minimum" could be exchanged if one respects what is in it and name evtl. certain things the same as in the default install. (i.e. exchange default starting ships).

[/hr]

i will upload the new adverts sub-model, because i guess it's quite good now and i feel i won't change a lot now, except to add a new advert from time to time.

i also sized the textures up as far as possible (256x256 instead of 128x128 for most), sizing down is always possible.

edit: i decided to upload the whole sub-models dir., it might be better.

here it is, ready to be checked out by you 😉

sub_models_alpha23_5.zip

also my groundstation has changed again somewhat, i only have to check the links on "models one by one" ("...4" will be the latest),

mods_groundstations_p66_alpha23_4.zip

if you use both you will get the "station comms" screen in front of the docking pos. like in the screenshots i posted, a stationwide system failure

and ... whatever (no more gaps in the wall 😉 ).

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

So how am I supposed to post this if you keep improving things? 😆

I currently have that space filled with a multi_advert. I'll update it later. 😀

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

promise, i won't change a lot now i guess, i would have had it almost in this state a few days ago, but i reworked the text scaling thing, i used before a very strange expression with "math.pow 0.25", which has worked not bad, until i had the idea with the cross multiplication (right when i liked to explain it to you, so i quickly changed it to the new idea), which fits far better and it's simply logical to do so. (not the first time, i searched today afternoon for a expression to control the sliders in the MCU cockpit. precisely to get a useful value for "Cabins fitted / occupied", until... whoahh so easy take a cross multiplication and... (it has now a slider showing occupied cabins in a range from 0 to 1 no matter how many cabins one of the ship combinations (1x, 2x, 3x) will have.

ReplyQuote
Page 21 / 25