Notifications
Clear all

Just for Fun, Your Hometown!

Page 6 / 8

Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Warrant Officer Registered

vuzz, you seem very surprised nearly every day that lmr support is being dropped despite the fact that it has been on the cards since last july if not longer. Instead of getting one's knickers in a twist, why don't you put that energy into converting the old lmr models into the new modelling system? even if you don't know how to get all the animations correct yet, at least get the basic chassis done so we can all continue to have a larger choice of ships.

Marcel i beleive already said he was looking to convert his stations to the new system.

frankly it is getting boring listening to the same complaints, LMR is going away. deal with it the best you can.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah, I want to 'finish' the stations in LMR, then convert them and then perhaps make them better. I hope I'll be able to make something good enough to make it into the official download of Pioneer.

That being said, I have to fix this crappy_docking_problem. The station still needs proper docking code. I'm thinking that the ship flipping over and stopping backwards may be due to the way the autopilot handles flying through the docking tube. That shouldn't affect the rest of the docking, however because the ship should simply lerp to the next position. The latest dev file works in standard form. The ship flips and then docks at what seems to be the standard location. I added my blue faction mod and this time there was a Boa in pad 1. The autopilot refused to dock, stopping at the invisible rectangle. In manual mode I optained clearance to pad 2 but couldn't engage the docking sequence, no matter how slowly I went. I went 'down' the tube and saw the Boa in the wrong (standard) position with her left side to the floor in pad 1. As I say, I've got to work on this.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

I do appreciate your views and thoughts on this vuzz, the issue is that if no one steps up and starts converting even the basic chassis to the new model system, then we as a communtiy lose out on some good work. How can we, the community, provide feedback and help to forge new features into the new model system if no one tries to use it?

With you and the other modelers and artists converting the new models (concentrate on the ships and leave stations for now) helps to identify bugs, gets you experience with the new system and frees up the devs time to concentrate on fixing core game bugs and implementing new features.

Personally, how a ship looks and animates is secondary to me. I prefer features in the game (honestly how much time do you spend loolking at your ship while flying and fighting?) I could quite happily fly a box around if needs be, but others like the aesthetics of it all.

Nobody can force you to convert the models to the new system, but there is absolutely no point in fannying about with LMR past Alpha 30 or maybe Alpha 31.

LMR has to go, we all need to adapt. If you want to continue to contribute to the Pioneer community then I urge you to start converting the chassis and at least get them flyable. provide feedback on the new model system and tell them what you features you would like adding. If no one uses it and does not provide feedback we may never get the features we want and it could take years before a dev with modeling ability has the time to implement new models.

EDIT - Marcel, I apologise for hijacking your thread with this topic. I'll shush now. Oh and by the way thanks for adding Nottingham to your hometown mods 😎

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

i'm not surprised by the fact LMR must go away , but by the fact , LMR are programing disapear at A31, and whe haven't yet functiion  to comvert all models . ( not why i "don't know how" , they are simply not implemented yet) .

so i thing  , that this is a volunter to discard all anciens product , so that  in 5 or 6 months nobody can't compare .

We cannot automatically convert all of the models, you CAN dump most of the geometry to ".obj" format using the ModelViewer program - there's a button called "dump to obj". But this won't export the animations etc because they cannot be exported like that.

These models then need to be converted to the new SGModel system with a ".model" file describing how they're setup etc.

in 31 , all stations in LMR diseapar  ! 

That's not been decided it's just that I've done a patch which _could_ get rid of them, whether it goes into 31, 32 or is changed to keep some of them hasn't been decided or agreed upon yet.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

yep I understand. I apologise as I thought you modeled as well.

Sorry I can not teach you, I am not a modeler or a coder/programmer or artist. I have since July started to learn how to model in blender and code in .lua but my time is very low due to my 8 week old son.

If you do not know such things, the only thing you can do is learn. Go get blender, there are plenty of tutorials around the internet and start fiddling. So far I have managed to draw a box. Not bad for 7 months work eh?

See your own motto....You must not say it, you must make it.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

well taking a wild in the dark punt.....the file seems to specify which texture files to use with which .onj file and their lighting specs and at the bottom the LOD specs. I suggest you fiddle with the DSMiner .model file (and maybe create your own basic textures and fillde with the settings to find out what does what). Unless someone who actually knows what they are doing can point you in the correct direction.

material DSMiner_Decal

tex_diff DSMinerDecallDiff.png

tex_spec DSMinerDecallSpec.png

tex_glow DSMinerDecallGlow.png

diffuse 1.0 1.0 1.0

specular 1.0 1.0 1.0

shininess 80

material DSMiner_Hull

tex_diff DSMinerHullDiff.png

tex_spec DSMinerHullSpec.png

tex_glow DSMinerHullGlow.png

diffuse 1.0 1.0 1.0

specular 1.0 1.0 1.0

shininess 80

collision DSMinerCollision.obj

lod 1000

mesh DSMinerHull.obj

mesh DSMinerDecal.obj

mesh DSMinerAnims.DAE

lod 200

mesh DSMinerDecalLOD1.obj

mesh DSMinerHullLOD1.obj

mesh DSMinerAnims.DAE

anim gear_down 0 72

Also rather than keep hijacking poor Marcels thread, maybe you should create another thread?

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

excellent work there Vuzz on solving the problem!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, good work Vuzz! I just discovered the splitting of the station definitions to the new folder too. I want to get this 'crappy' thing working before I start learning the new system.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

You must keep an eye on GitHub and download the latest "Night" if you want not surprises.

In this way your mod is always ready when you release a Alpha-xx.

latest "Night" here    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pioneerspacesim/files/nightly/

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

@vuzz

bud, I just wanted to check the version of your latest release now you have fixed the docking issue. the new release is labelled as 1.3 but the version I downloaded the other day was 1.4. So should the latest not be 1.5?

I just wanted to make sure I got the right one 🙂

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I hard to keep current. I just downloaded the latest nightly 19 hours ago. Walterar's comment made me check again and, sure enough, there's another one that was uploaded 17 hours ago!

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

nice one. thanks vuzz.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

versus

Vuzz, the word you want is version.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Time to get this thread back on topic.

This is the alpha33 version of the Hometowns addon. There have been some minor changes to the Sol system in alpha 33, so this keeps it up to date. I also made a minor change to Deimos. I discovered that adding in the Hometowns made Deimos resemble a spiky sea urchin. Deimos had no seed value, so I copied the seed from Phobos. If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it. It just makes it into a big rock you can land on.

Instructions: This is a 7z file because it's not intended to be put directly into the mods folder. It contains two zip files, Hometowns_a33.zip and Hometowns_ShadMars_a33.zip. The second file includes Shadmar's heightmap for Mars, and the first file does not. Put the one you prefer into your mods folder. It's important to note that once you do, any saved games in the Sol system will no longer work. You should be able to load a game saved in another system and travel to Sol without problems. To enable your home town extract the 00_sol.lua file to a temporary folder, open it and scroll down until you see it. If it has two dashes in front of it ”--” that tells the computer to ignore the rest of the line. Delete the two dashes at the beginning of the line and the next two lines below it. If you want to make your town the default start position at Earth, move the three lines so that they're the sixth enabled spaceport. If you make no other changes put it above London. You can enable as many spaceports as you wish, but too many close together creates performance issues. Experiment and have fun!

[attachment=1828:Hometowns_Alpha33.7z]

edit: I was just thinking about my change to Deimos. If you change something in a system, you may cause unexpected changes to other things. I haven't visited all of the bodies in the Sol system, so if anyone sees something else that's wrong please let me know. Btw, I'm still open to adding hometowns by request.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Hey Marcel, have you tried enabling ALL of the hometowns? I'm wondering how it performs these days since we did some city rendering optimisations 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Time to get this thread back on topic.

This is the alpha33 version of the Hometowns addon.

It's not a proper Alpha release until Marcel also issues his Hometowns mod.

Thanks Marcel

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Geraldine!

@ fluffyfreak No I haven't. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Maybe I can release a version with them all enabled by default.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Hey Marcel, have you tried enabling ALL of the hometowns? I'm wondering how it performs these days since we did some city rendering optimisations 😀

I'm sorry to report that it doesn't perform very well. Europe is still a slideshow, although it seems that the frame rate might be a little better.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah well that's a shame, I've grabbed the latest version you've done so I'll try enabling them all locally and then profile it - not anytime soon but I'll get around too it 🙂

There's a lot of things we could do to speed it up depending on where the bottlenecks are.

Having LOT more cities on Earth, or any world, is something I'd really like to see happening one day.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I've grabbed the latest version you've done so I'll try enabling them all locally and then profile it

Well, I've already done the enabling part so here it is.

[attachment=1829:Hometowns_ShadMars_a33-all.zip]

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Here's the latest version. This brings it up to date with Pioneer201306.21. The usual caveats and instructions apply. Old games saved in the Sol system will not work. A new game or a game saved in another system should work fine. Put the .zip file in your mods folder. Do not unzip it.

I changed the name of the file to make it compatible with Scout+. I've included the Moon hi-res heightmap (sorry but I don't remember who made it), the Mars hi-res heightmap by Shadmar, and Tourist's repositioning of Olympus Mons from Genesia that puts it near the crater. It looks like this.

[attachment=1990:screenshot-20130619-194054.png]

There are instructions on how to enabledisable spaceports in the pages above, so I won't repeat them here. If anyone wants me to add their hometown or is not comfortable editing the files, let me know and I'll make a custom version.

[attachment=1991:Spaceports-Hometowns201306.zip]

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Good job Marcel. It works very well and is totally compatible with Scout+ 

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you. I hope you enjoy living underground in Rosario. 😉

I changed the name because Scout+ has a 00_sol.lua inside. The game reads the mods in alphabetical order, so yours was the 00_sol.lua that was used. I think that for compatibility, mods should only contain files that are necessary for the mod to work.

Thanks to you, I'm almost ready to launch my Eagle from Eugene and start my career!

After I back up everything and install the 'AMD64' version of Ubuntu and start all over again.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

There was a couple of commas missing if you enable all and author cities should have comment using -- in front.

Also

If you edit one line in the pioneer source and compile, you can have them all enabled with no performance loss. 🙂

In Spacestation.cpp around line 660 or so:

/* don't render city if too far away */
                if (viewCoords.Length() < 100000.0){     // 100km instead of 1000km

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

If you edit one line in the pioneer source and compile, you can have them all enabled with no performance loss. 🙂

In Spacestation.cpp around line 660 or so:

/* don't render city if too far away */
                if (viewCoords.Length() < 100000.0){     // 100km instead of 1000km

That's interesting! 🙂

It would be convenient to have this as a setting in the configuration screen.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8