Notifications
Clear all

Modding questions related to scale and physics

Monkeybtm6
(@monkeybtm6)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

So im new here but ive known about pioneer for a long while. very impressive project.

But ive got some questions related to modding and possibly editing the source code.

Im curious if i can edit the scale of celestial bodies or distances between them?

Like scale things down where star systems are only about 1000/2000 KM in size, i know its not realistic but that's the point.

Also is there a way to edit the Newtonian physics to either remove it entirely or just tweak it to have inertia dampeners?

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Well you're free to fork the engine and rewrite whatever you need to but that's pretty much what it might take.

ReplyQuote
Monkeybtm6
(@monkeybtm6)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Was afriad of that but alright.

Still poking around the source code im a bit unsure where the system generation code is, i assume thats where scale information would be located.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah well we're happy to help even if you do fork the project 🙂

You want to be looking in the "galaxy" subproject, specifically the files "StarSystemGenerator.h/cpp" and suchlike. That'll give you a place to start anyway, it is quite complicated, partly because of the usage of fixed point maths which I have terrible trouble following.

For code related questions you might also want to post on the developer forum or drop into the IRC channel (details on the website) to speak to people.

You could also try creating a custom system and placing the bodies very close together, however 2000km or so is going to be VERY close and you will find planets getting strange details and properties if you push the engine as it does try to calculate a lot of things like density, and the size of the atmosphere based on the initial properties that you give the planets.

ReplyQuote
Monkeybtm6
(@monkeybtm6)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Well i'm not much of a programmer myself, mostly i know some scripting basics and playing around with variables.

Was hoping that changing a few variables here or there, or making a simple script mod to get the desired results.

I probably wouldn't make a full project fork until i actually had something to show or had a good basis for a direction to take this in.

I'm aware of paragon is a bit of a more arcadey fork of this project and probably would be what i am looking for but, not a fan for the retro sci-fi style its going for.

ReplyQuote
Monkeybtm6
(@monkeybtm6)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah after trying all this i give up, all i did was create errors and major framerate issues. xD

Guess ill have to search elsewhere and let the experts handle this, maybe someone will come along and make a fork that has what i desire in it eventually.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Well good luck 🙂

ReplyQuote