Clear all

Scout + on Mac?

Page 1 / 2

pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I follow this project and like what I see. I'm an avid Oolite player and also like the Vanilla Pioneer. Scout + looks like a nice enhanced version of Pioneer and I want to ask if it is also possible to bring it to Mac. Or can I play it on Mac already and then also how?

Anyway keep up te good work :).

walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Thanks! @pagroove 

Only Linux and Windows, for now.   But gladly include executables for Mac if I find a volunteer that compile. 

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks! @pagroove 

Only Linux and Windows, for now.   But gladly include executables for Mac if I find a volunteer that compile. 

Ok thank you walterar :).

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This actually highlights something with the main Pioneer build too. There has not been any updates to the Mac version since the 2nd of February because someone is needed to compile it with the latest updates. If there is anyone out there who could help with either Scout Plus or the main Pioneer build then I hope they see this. I had previously put out the word in ModDB but no responses so far I am afraid. I will do so again with the next update I do on there.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Geraldine, I desire to build a "hackintosh" machine to compile, too, for Mac, but my psychologist disagree. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Mac contributors are hard to find all round - even at Oolite lately.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Geraldine, I desire to build a "hackintosh" machine to compile, too, for Mac, but my psychologist disagree. 

Thats totally ok walterar. No one can say you have not done enough already. In fact you have already managed impossible things with Scout Plus. Rest easy my friend.

EDIT: A request to Fluffy, nozmajner, Robn or any of the other Pioneer regulars. If you folks could also add this to the end of the month changelog that could also help get the word out. This would mean both sites for Pioneer will be covered. I know many more people just download direct from Pioneer's own site so perhaps it will have a better chance of catching a visiting Mac wizard's eye?

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Add something about the Mac version?

What would you like adding?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Just basically a shout out to any Mac fans if they would like to get involved in creating a build using the latest assets. Simple and straight to the point. That's what I am planning to do and not just on ModDB either but also on a range of forum threads about Pioneer that I maintain in various places. I will cast the net far and wide and see if I can catch me any Mac wizards!

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

The changelog isn't quite the correct place for it, it's parsed by a script robn wrote so you can't just put whatever you like into it or it breaks the script since it's looking for things to be correctly formatted.

So I think it will just need some prodding and explicitly mentioning rather than going in the changelog.

There is already a Mac specific Pull Request aiming to fixup the Mac build but the two people working on it are both busy with their lives and so aren't around to finalise it 🙁

Andy

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Ok Andy I will drop that link into my next update and ask around some forums and hope some kind Mac user steps forward.

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Is there any development on a mac release? Just wanted to know. :).

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Hi pagroove  

For now there is no Mac version compiled in. Have you tried to run the Windows version (.exe) with Wine?

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yes tried that but I am getting the following error through Wine:

OpenGL extension GL_EXT not supported. Pioneer cannot run on your graphics card as it does not support compressed DXTn/S3TC Format textures.

Normal Pioneer is running fine though.  I'm on a Macbook Pro 2011.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

There seems to be a problem with the format of the textures.

We can try to delete files with extension SGM in linux I do it with: find -type f -name "* .sgm" -exec rm -f {} ;

I do not know how this is done on Mac

They can also be problems with DDS files.

Let me do a little research this.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

I not found problems with Windows or Linux; it seems that Mac does not like some models of Gernot. I hope I'm wrong.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

The DXTn/S3TC part in the error message is refering to the .dds textures. But Pioneer uses the same format, so it should then throw the same error I think. Could be that some textures use other compression methods.

You could first try to remove the pattern files and see if that solves the problem, because they usually have transparency and for that you need to use DXT5 compression.

Converting them to .png and updating the .model files might help. But it would be easier to do some batch operation for that, because of the enormous amount of ships in scout+

Along with the .sgm deleting of course, in both cases.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I could try giving this another bump on ModDB and appeal to any MAC fans if any would be willing to help?

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for investigating. I have a normal install of the latests vanilla Pioneer and that runs fine. Would love to try Scout Plus one day 

Edited to add. I used Winebottle to make an app of the exe and run it through Wine. But then I got the above error.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@pagroove I need to confirm whether last Pioneer vanilla for Windows works in Mac with Wine. If this is so, I think I can do some tests following the suggestions of nozmajner. Your help will be very important for Mac users. 

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

ok wil try do download an vanilla Pioneer and try to run it through Wine. Will report back.

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Nope same error on vanilla. 

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Well, let's rule out some possibilities.

If this version compiled for Mac does not work: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pioneerspacesim/files/pioneer-20160330-osx.zip/download possibly the video card is not compatible with the Pioneer engine.

You can try that?

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

That build works. It starts and shows the intro with the spinning ships.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

That's good news. We can assume that the your video card is compatible.

Is very important to get the Windows version working in Mac-Wine.   I do not have a Mac here for testing; but if you are willing we can try other things. I'll make a mod without files with .sgm extension, and convert files patternXX.dds to patternXX.png

This may take some time. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2